GPP DVD Questions

Thought I might post some questions here that I have from the GPP DVD.

1. Warm up 1 & 2;

According to the DVD, warm up 2 should consist of ’ a series of progressive accelerations’

What exactly does this refer to?

1. Tempo

Following the GPP template of tempo 3 x p/wk, can the big session (2200m) be used for each session?

1. Med ball

When should the med ball work (excluding explosive med ball work) be incorporated into the program?

1. Plyo

Assuming explosive med ball work is being done 2-3 times per week, how often should Plyo’s be used?

Thanks guys. More to come I’m sure. :rolleyes:

Since you asked…

1. Warm up: this is a highly individual matter (the whole warm up process, I mean). Warm up could consist of what you described elsewhere. Warm up 2 could include the running drills and some acceleration work, as you say, among other things and depending on the purposes of your training phase/session. If you ask specifically for the “progressive accelerations” perhaps the term “build ups” may help -at least this is how I understand it.

2. Tempo: for each of the tempo sessions you mean? Well, this could be an option, but you don’t have to restrict yourself to a certain workout and/or distance. Again it depends on the phase you are in and your running distance (e.g., 400 m runners tend to do more). After you reach a good conditioning level, tempo’s purpose is to maintain this level, keep you lean and mainly help your recovery from the other high intensity sessions. It can take different forms (e.g., tempo in a swimming pool, insist more on medicine ball work , etc), if you need to protect your legs for some reason. Also, abdominal exercises and other body weight drill can be included in-between the runs for a more advanced version of the session, if you want.

3. Med Ball: it’s low enough intensity to be included whenever you feel like and think it works best for you. Usually, on tempo days -if you are talking about easy throws/passes and core work. Always start with the minimum and build up if and as necessary.

[/QUOTE]Thanks guys. More to come I’m sure. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
Bear in mind that most GPP issues, or at least the ones you are asking about, have been addressed before in this forum and therefore, members are perhaps more reluctant to go over these again. Have a good search in the forum and I am sure you’ll find lots of useful ideas! If there is something specific, you can’t find anywhere else, post it here! Hope it helps!

Thanks Nik, thats great.

Yeha I try with the search engine, I really do. I cant seem to 1. search for the right terms or 2. find the right post within some of those threads that contain so many pages. Most of the good stuff seems to be buried deep within long burning threads.

GPP Template;

Wk 1.

Mon:

1. Hills
  2. Upper body weights

Tues:

1. Explosive med ball
  2. Tempo
  3. Lower body weights
  4. Sit up circuit

Wed:

1. Hills
  2. Upper body weights

Thu:

1. Explosive med ball
  2. Tempo
  3. Lower body weights
  4. Sit up circuit

Fri:

1. Hills
  2. Upper body weights

Sat:

1. Explosive med ball
  2. Tempo
  3. Lower body weights
  4. Sit up circuit

Having a little bit of trouble working out how and on what days I should incorporate 1. hurdle drills, 2. plyo’s, 3. med ball with partner/wall.

Somewhere else Charlie says he prefers hurdle drills done after track work because whilst not HI, they are tiring. But on what days?

RE: plyo’s and med ball - when to use these doesn’t seem quite so obvious because there doesn’t seem to be such a distinct definition between HI/LI days. ie. Explosive med ball is HI, so are weights, so are hills, etc.