Glen Mills the first coach to.....

Coach the two fastest sprinters ever, have an athletes run 1,2 in the 100 and 1,2,3 in the 200 at the Olympics.
What else…?

Oh yea that camp is rolling in the dough!

The best coach ever, no doubt about it.

http://racerstrackclub.com/athletes/

Jermaine Gonzales
Daniel Bailey
Mario Forsythe
Jason Young (19.86!)
Rosemarie Whyte
Schillonie Calvert

Just to name a few. Looking at the full club roster you’d get faster just being in an environment with that many speedsters.

Kemar Bailey-Cole- 10.00 29/06/2012. Who?? Just another 20 year old running 10 flat. Amazing depth.

You notice they all have amazing forward lean. They lock it in and don’t flinch.

^^^ That’s straight up Bud Winter form, he taught 30 degree forward lean. From what I understand Mills’ was largely influenced by Winter.

Hmm. I’ll have to read some winter stuff to see what drills he used to help with this lean.

Mills great. John Smith just as great.

Any info out there on John Smith training?

Ato’s log and a few articles.

Chris; here are some of the drills Winter used, his book So you want to be a Sprinter is available.

1. High Knees Drill on grass to 30m
  2. High Knees with foreleg reach
  3. Stand tall, go up on toes, run in place, lean forward and stride out
  4. Ankle drill; on grass, lock ankle, hop on one leg just flipping the ankle, turn around and use other leg.
  5. Relaxation Test; when in top shape have a 20m accel zone, sprint 30m @ 7/8’s speed concentrating on relaxation of face, shoulders, hands and proper lean.

Much appreciated. I’ll have to purchase that

from a friend -

1. Use high knee action
  2. Use good foreleg reach
  3. Run high on toes
  4. Have good arm action
  5. Maintain good forward lean
  6. Bound forward, not up
  7. Run tall, with back straight
  8. Be relaxed, with loose jaw and loose hands

I find it funny that information that Charlie prescribed over 15 years ago in CFTS gets recycled and reclaimed! All these things are mentioned in the Sprint Technique part on pages 15 and 16.

Well bud winter Coached starting in the 1940s so I doubt he stole anything from charlie

Everyone takes from others Jason; Bud Winter coached from 1940-1970, he and Gerard Mach were doing drills
before anyone knew what drills were; Winter had a corps of sprinters in the 60’s known as “Speed City”, their results in the Olympic Games wasn’t too shabby.

Will they sell books/dvd’s on their online store - I’m sure they would be in high demand. LOL

I hope IKH can share his information - he trained under John…

Nah man. You have to use your deductive reasoning skills and I’m not being condescending. Look at the log and then the notes kebab Tolbert had and some old John smith interviews and you can figure out what he’s doing. It’s easy to see the progression. For example the 5x300 in gpp goes:
5x300 for a few weeks then
3x60, 4x300
4x60, 3x300
5x60, 2x300
6x60, 1x300 or 2x200
Then they went into indoor comp. That’s day 1 over 6 weeks or so.

Are these sessions running or lifting?
11/30 bench
10 X 160 (70%)
12/1 OFF
12/2 squats
5 X 340 (80%)
12/3 incline bench
12 X 150 (70%)

Does this sound accurate?

John Smith takes 2-3 weeks to get people back into the flow of things. Smith actually breaks everything down and starts from scratch from the beginning. So while people are doing tempo for conditioning there are workouts (weekly) like 15X30m or 5X10+4X20+3X30+2X40 working on getting the drive phase going (right), and during this time there are 300’s gradually harder and 8-9X200’s extensive tempo. Then, starting in January, there are 60m sessions and 200-300 fast.