Glen Mills & Bolt training methods

After Bolt’s 9.76 :eek: anyone have info on glen mills training methods? who else is in his group?

Below is some info on Mills after a quick search

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=10263&highlight=Glen+Mills

Glen Mills

His main emphasis was on developing a philosophy. We all read the same books, study the same courses, get the same internet research info, but the important thing is ‘how we use this knowledge in the circumstances we’re in’. The coach is measured by results, not by knowledge.
The info must be adjusted to get the results, as it is important to be specific to the athlete’s needs. Athletes have various deficiencies, so treat them differently.

He was keen on getting sprinters to develop technical skills from early age. Work on e.g. arm drive movement 6 times a week. Because sprinting is a precision event, every movement is crucial. If one area is negative, it will have a serious overall impact. If ground time over one stride is improved, over 46 strides its huge.

He’s a believer in starting speed from day 1. If you don’t need it, it won’t help, so he doesn’t perform volume and mileage for months at the beginning. It will have a negative effect. If a muscle runs slow for months, and suddenly you want it to change gear, it doesn’t work. From day 1, he’ll also include mechanical drills, starting drills and games involving response.

He’s an advocate of training the body and the mind. Feel everything you do in your workouts, every drill, every stretch. No music or other interruption, just focus. Stay un-interrupted in the mind and you’ll exert more force.

Talking about the 100m, if a final time is slow, don’t attack the wrong area. Look at all components: from start to drive to acceleration to top speed, maintenance and deceleration. Analyse each stage, and you’ll find weaknesses. You may start giving speed endurance work when the problem lies in the max speed phase.

He touched on how some sprinters run well one day and like a snail the other. These aren’t genuine sprinters. They’re not genuinely fast.

He mentioned how Kim Collins does no weights because he doesn’t like them. His strength work comes from plyometrics and resistance work without weights. To get to the level he has, he obviously has an abundance of fast twitch muscle fibres. However, these will age. This, along with general wear and tear will force him to do more weights in the future. Half measure weights, though, will not produce results. He’ll have to commit.

He performs tests on his athletes every 8 weeks as opposed to Stephen’s 4.

His only overspeed work is with a gentle slope. He also hates parachutes as they fly all over the place.

It was an awesome day, with the Masterclass lasting 2 hours, followed by an amazing Crystal Palace meet in the evening.

I was positioned on the back straight, so saw history in the making with woman’s first 5m Vault. It was also a perfect place to watch Gatlin scream away from the bunch with 10m to go. Wariner also looked great, leaning and charging into the first bend, even though he lost this one.

Good find. I was on here looking for some of Mills’ information. Tried googling it, had little success!!!

Two questions:

1. How often does S.Francis test for 300m?

2. How often does Bolt test for 300m?

Thanks.

Not sure of the exact answer to either, but I know Francis keeps 300s in the training set up for most part of the year, and largely due to cultural reasons I think he puts it, as it’s often asked what your 300m PB is. Therefore I would assume it is run fairly frequently. Francis has a battery of tests he uses I believe, but I have a feeling they may be more strength and power orientated, as opposed to time trials.

He touched on how some sprinters run well one day and like a snail the other. These aren’t genuine sprinters. They’re not genuinely fast

Anyone to expand on this point?

You know. Kinda like Usain.

“He touched on how some sprinters run well one day and like a snail the other. These aren’t genuine sprinters. They’re not genuinely fast.”
I think this is crap, he even refutes this with an earlyer statement, “Athletes have various deficiencies, so treat them differently.”. The guy seems like hes a lil high on his horse there, I have fast runners, who run fast all the time, if yours dont then there not fast, ump. lol but seriously thats how it comes off to me.

Linford only broke 10.0 at major comps. He wasn’t fast all season, but when it mattered he could run mid 9.8s. I think its pushing things to the limit, staying close to ur peak for the majority of the year.

I think you are right, although we have been spoiled as of late watching guys like Mo and Asafa run 9.8-9.9 seemingly at will. As a competitor I would be absolutely terrified of an athlete who was coming into a peak without having “showed his cards” all season (ala Ben in 88 coming off of an injury).

Mo! Well… :o

Well he may also mean a guy like lewis francis, just a one timer or comes along with a decent performance randomly once in a while, not just peaking for major comps. like linford.

I see where tamfb is coming from, but I wouldn’t describe these people as not genuinely fast. They are just not able to do what is required it is required. Flashes in the pan almost.

no you dont see where im coming from. :slight_smile:

LOL, tried to help you out there, you’re on your own now! :wink:

Does this apply to fasuba’s 9.84 at Doha

No problem, bc its a very simple concept that some people just dont understand. :cool:

Fasuba hasn’t consistently run 9.8s, but he has consistently run around 6.5 indoors and he has a major title. He is fast, don’t get me wrong, but I think he needs to back that 9.8 up!

Now that Yohan Blake have reach an outstanding time of 19,26 in the 200m, my only conclusion Is that he must do something right in his training.

"On a short-to-long plan, I like the short speed sessions on Monday, as it can trash your CNS where you need up to 72 hours to recover. On a long-to-short plan, the speed and special endurance are early in the week, with the short speed on Friday (and 2 days rest on the weekend!).

For my athletes, they key numbers for workouts in seconds are 3-7, 15, and 40 seconds. Usually, those numbers translate to 30-60m, 150m, and 325m. So generally, those are the key distance I like to work with.

Speed endurance and pure speed have to work hand in hand. People tend to separate them and do speed endurance as a single component and then do explosive speed training as a single component. A lot of time we hear sprinters say that they have not started speed work yet, which means that they have been doing speed endurance work.

My philosophy is that the two should run concurrently and that coaches should try to develop a balance. To keep the athlete fresh and explosive, the load has to be slightly reduced as you go to high velocity and high quality performance in training, the work that is done in the last part of the competitive period leading up to the major completion.

A greater degree of rest is required for recovery and explosive training must be greatly reduced to maybe once or twice per week and a recovery should not be less than 36 hours, 48 hours would be even better. A lot of coaches feel that if you reduce the workload too much in terms of training time the athlete will lose something, but that is not my experience.

You probably got that quote from http://speedendurance.com/2010/01/12/glen-mills-on-balancing-speed-endurance-and-pure-speed-work/

It refers to an interview with Mills in News Studies in Athletics. To read the entire interview access the NSA archive at http://194.213.2.7/wps/portal/iaaf and search for 2009. It’ll be around the 15th position in the list of results.

I can’t reproduce it here for copyright reasons.

thank you martijn! got It!

One thing that Mills said during the interview Is that top speed can be “only” maintained for about 50-60m.

vs.

I have always preferred flying 20s because that’s the longest most people can ever hold a true max speed and I want to stay out of a fatigue state for as many quality reps as possible. I always wondered why flying 30s were so popular. CF

A change In top speed drills???