FREE Stephen Francis (Asafa Powell) Coaching Masterclass in London

Just thought that this might be of interest to anyone in the UK. I’m not sure if I will go because it is a 6 hour round trip but if anyone else does could they give us a little report? :slight_smile:

http://www.ukathletics.net/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,4854-130891-19728-20273-184840--5150-layout126-132199-news-item,00.html

Coaching Masterclass
15 Jul 2005 15:09

Friday 22 July 2005 - 12.30 pm

Jury’s Inn Hotel, Wellesley Road, Croydon, South London, CR0 9XY

UK Athletics are pleased to offer the opportunity to attend a free coaching Masterclass by coach Stephen Francis (Asafa Powell), and coach Glen Mills (Kim Collins / Aileen Bailey).

Francis and Mills, who are in London with their athletes for the Norwich Union London Grand Prix, have agreed to take the time to offer their thoughts on a number of aspects of sprint coaching.

To reserve your place at the Coaching Masterclass, please contact UKA Individual Services, either by telephone 0870 998 6712 or e-mail coacheducation@ukathletics.org.uk

Stephen Francis

He started by mentioning that there are 2 ways to prepare a sprinter:

1: Long to Short…Get them fit with an autumn of volume/mileage/over-distance.

Proceed to more specific work…more intense. Sprinting added at the end.

2: Short to Long…Develop speed from day 1. As the winter season involves 60m competition, prepare for this in Oct and Nov

After March, introduce speed endurance.

General Preparation is 4 months. Some start in September but the pros in late October or even November. This phase will go till March and will involve

Hill sprints: Twice a week.
Weights: 4 times a week.

He mentioned that he doesn’t perform traditional lifts, apart from Bench presses and Cleans. He rarely does squats as they can be dangerous. Lots of years experience required. Instead, he prefers the 1 leg squat, which is more sprint specific. If he is gonna involve a squat, it’ll be a front squat, so the weight can be thrown forward in case of emergency. He likes jump squats and split jumps. Weights will be done before a sprint session.

Drills are performed to specifically strengthen, rather than to improve form. He will use high knees and straight leg bounds for specific strength. High knees for 100 or even 150m to develop hip flexors. He emphasised trying to understand what the body does in sprinting and then develop those muscles.

He wants attention paid to the back body: from the lumbar back to the heel, these being the most involved in sprinting. He’ll perform hamstring work 4-5 times a week as this area works 3 times more than the front. His guys hardly get injured there due to the extra effort spent on this area.
Sprinting, he mentioned, is not natural, so hams get stressed. Important to do hip extension exercises: e.g. straight leg pulley hip extension. Not much focus needed on quads

Running will be done in sneakers on grass till Feb.

8x300m with 5 min rest.
12x200m with 3 min rest.
These slow endurance style workouts will be performed twice a week. His 300’s are his staple workout and should be done every week. They develop resistance to pain.
There will also be 2 sprint sessions a week. These will include mechanics from blocks, sled work from blocks, 20’s, 30’s etc.

One day a week, there’ll be Circuit training work. He mentioned Burpees as a typical circuit station, but wasn’t too keen on demonstrating!!! Circuits will go on till Dec.
Also, he’ll never change a program to accomodate indoor season

He also won’t peak for e.g. a Commonwealths. Sherone Simpson ran 11.11 in January and 11.03 in August. As long as one keeps the specifics in the program they’ll perform well. He mentioned a need to be at best against the Americans. If it’s a less important period, don’t change preparation. Some periods will obviously get sacrificed when targeting specific times of the year.

He also performs testing on his athletes. He has a 3 week training cycle followed by 1 week of testing. Tests will go on till April, examples of which are: Vertical jump, Long jump, throw for distance, 1RM in gym. He has a repetoire of 15-18 tests and will perform 3 a day on test week.

Core work is performed 3 times a week. Large amount of abs work is done with a medicine ball.

He mentioned a disliking to sand runs as they stress the quads too much

He also doesn’t use overspeed training for fear of getting hurt. It’s easy for athlete to lose control during overspeed. The important thing is to stay healthy and not do anything stupid. Normal sprints to 60m are also largely avoided for fear of injury, 50-60m being prime stage for athlete to pull up.

Glen Mills

His main emphasis was on developing a philosophy. We all read the same books, study the same courses, get the same internet research info, but the important thing is ‘how we use this knowledge in the circumstances we’re in’. The coach is measured by results, not by knowledge.
The info must be adjusted to get the results, as it is important to be specific to the athlete’s needs. Athletes have various deficiencies, so treat them differently.

He was keen on getting sprinters to develop technical skills from early age. Work on e.g. arm drive movement 6 times a week. Because sprinting is a precision event, every movement is crucial. If one area is negative, it will have a serious overall impact. If ground time over one stride is improved, over 46 strides its huge.

He’s a believer in starting speed from day 1. If you don’t need it, it won’t help, so he doesn’t perform volume and mileage for months at the beginning. It will have a negative effect. If a muscle runs slow for months, and suddenly you want it to change gear, it doesn’t work. From day 1, he’ll also include mechanical drills, starting drills and games involving response.

He’s an advocate of training the body and the mind. Feel everything you do in your workouts, every drill, every stretch. No music or other interruption, just focus. Stay un-interrupted in the mind and you’ll exert more force.

Talking about the 100m, if a final time is slow, don’t attack the wrong area. Look at all components: from start to drive to acceleration to top speed, maintenance and deceleration. Analyse each stage, and you’ll find weaknesses. You may start giving speed endurance work when the problem lies in the max speed phase.

He touched on how some sprinters run well one day and like a snail the other. These aren’t genuine sprinters. They’re not genuinely fast.

He mentioned how Kim Collins does no weights because he doesn’t like them. His strength work comes from plyometrics and resistance work without weights. To get to the level he has, he obviously has an abundance of fast twitch muscle fibres. However, these will age. This, along with general wear and tear will force him to do more weights in the future. Half measure weights, though, will not produce results. He’ll have to commit.

He performs tests on his athletes every 8 weeks as opposed to Stephen’s 4.

His only overspeed work is with a gentle slope. He also hates parachutes as they fly all over the place.

It was an awesome day, with the Masterclass lasting 2 hours, followed by an amazing Crystal Palace meet in the evening.

I was positioned on the back straight, so saw history in the making with woman’s first 5m Vault. It was also a perfect place to watch Gatlin scream away from the bunch with 10m to go. Wariner also looked great, leaning and charging into the first bend, even though he lost this one.

Thanks for such a detailed report!

I booked my place but couldn’t make it in the end because I had a meeting ending at 10am and disruption on the underground (from the previous day’s events) mean’t I couldn’t get into and across london in time.

I am gutted I couldn’t make it. Sounds like an interesting day.

So does Powell do short to long?

Apart from the 1 legged work anythig specifically different to CF philosophy?

Cheers,

TC

During last seasons indoor campaign his coach said on the “Caribbean Track & Field Forum” that Powell had done no top-speed yet, only acceleration and over-distance, so at least that year he trained long to short (or would that be from both ends?)

Well done NickP! Thanks!

" He’ll perform hamstring work 4-5 times a week as this area works 3 times more than the front. His guys hardly get injured there due to the extra effort spent on this area.
Sprinting, he mentioned, is not natural, so hams get stressed. Important to do hip extension exercises: e.g. straight leg pulley hip extension. Not much focus needed on quads
"
Ironic timing

“If he is gonna involve a squat, it’ll be a front squat, so the weight can be thrown forward in case of emergency. He likes jump squats and split jumps.”

“1RM in gym”

“Weights will be done before a sprint session.”

comments?

I dissagree with ‘One legged squats are more specific to sprinting’. This is not true.
Also, squats are dangerous? Not really. If the lifts are supervised by a competant instructor, as you would expect from someone of S. Francis’ calibre, they are no more dangerous than any other exercise. The fact that he incorporates jump squats, but considers squats ‘too dangerous’ raises some questions with me.

Of course there is going to be some information lost or transformed during “chinese whispers” but it does seem a little odd to think cleans are safer than squats and that squats take longer to learn.

However, this is his experience and is therefore interesting. When something “doesn’t work” it is either because it simply doesn’t work or that it actually does work and you are either a) not doing it correctly, or b) using it in the wrong context.

When I find something doesn’t work I usually don’t dismiss it completely because I always wonder if it is my lack of ability to implement the change that is really the problem. From a coaching perspective, this has implications both for us and for him.

He’ll perform hamstring work 4-5 times a week as this area works 3 times more than the front
Any reason given why 3 times more?

I would have thought this would be to do with the fact that the whole posterior chain needs to be stronger because its stressed more in sprinting. How many sprinters do you hear with quad strains or hip flexor injuries? A few but not as many as you hear with calf,glute,back,hamstring strains/pulls or tears…any thoughts?

How ironic that the injury that Asafa has picked up is related to the front of his legs.

I just don’t buy the 1 rep max use for testing when he finds certain lifting movements to be dangerous.

5 times a week of specific hamstring work…who knows. So I guess you can produce a world record holder with this process? sure each person is a unique snow flake but when you are presenting your system this looks like missinformation.

My feeling on the weights issue is that obviously the weight program is not directly responsible for his success. If anything, the weight program is very general in structure allowing Powell to maximize his sprinting workouts without undue tightness, fatigue, imbalances, etc. If he had a ‘perfect’ Olympic weightlifting program, I’d have been surprised. I’m sure we’d have similar comments regarding the weight programs of Gatlin and Crawford, and to some degree Mo Greene (especially if weights are done before speed sessions - a la “glorified warm-up.”)

Now, Powell’s coaches’ reasons/rationalizations for doing one type of lift or series over another are open to criticism. I think he’s given ‘specific’ reasons for using different lifts over others which may or may not be necessarily true (especially if we classify weights as a general stimulus - as does Charlie). I don’t know if you can fault the weight program for the injury Powell is now dealing with because - as Charlie would say - they are in uncharted territory (“a subset of one”) once they entered the 9.7 sec realm and are much more vulnerable to injury.

I would like to know how much he is lifting for each exercise to get an idea how much
CNS energy he is putting into the weight portion of his program. Anyone know?

15-18 tests? Bizarre.

I don’t know if you can fault the weight program for the injury Powell is now dealing with because - as Charlie would say - they are in uncharted territory (“a subset of one”) once they entered the 9.7 sec realm and are much more vulnerable to injury.

so why the hell is he presenting his system? It is the Charlie Francis Training System I buy into not the Ben Johnson Program. Individual differences are real but we are still dealing with 100m sprinters that are homo sapiens…they have human DNA! I only accept universial truths since I can’t present on one athlete since the purpose of clinics is to explain what laws and methods seem usefull. For example I think sprinting beyond 95% needs a solid 48 hours but when I in person fly to NC and watch trevor train his athletes for weeks at a time doing such things as 4 days of squating per week while doing a slew of intermediate work I wonder. I need sound methods or I think I just need super talent. As a coach I want to make sure I made an impact and not land a gifted athlete.

He mentioned how Kim Collins does no weights because he doesn’t like them. His strength work comes from plyometrics and resistance work without weights. To get to the level he has, he obviously has an abundance of fast twitch muscle fibres. However, these will age. This, along with general wear and tear will force him to do more weights in the future. Half measure weights, though, will not produce results. He’ll have to commit.

I like this quote…in fact I am more impressed with the second presentation.

Why is he presenting his system? Uhhh… because someone is paying him to present his system.

This doesn’t mean it’s the be all, end all system (or a “system” at all). I’m quite sure he doesn’t know if every component is right and/or positively contributing to the whole.

I would think talent is much more important than coaching, if we were to create a list of characteristics that must be present in a world class sprinter.

So is anyone actually going to this seminar? If so, I think the group at large should get a short list of questions prepared.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

We obviously read quite different philosophies concerning speed development:

S.Francis : “Running will be done in sneakers on grass till Feb […] Normal sprints to 60m are also largely avoided for fear of injury, 50-60m being prime stage for athlete to pull up.”

G.Mills : “He’s a believer in starting speed from day 1 […] It will have a negative effect. If a muscle runs slow for months, and suddenly you want it to change gear, it doesn’t work.”

Is the negative effect Mills is talking about concerns some injury risks? We are in an ironic situation where both coaches are afraid of injuries in both cases…

S.Francis: “He will use high knees and straight leg bounds for specific strength. High knees for 100 or even 150m to develop hip flexors.” :confused: any link?

re-testing: Did they gave examples of their tests results on Powell and Collins?

One could argue that staying away from top speed work in the first half of the season could be a detriment down the road, as once you began running at top speed, you have less reserve under your belt to physically handle these velocities.

It’s all speculation though - as Charlie has mentioned that once you break the world record, your priorities change and you have more ‘appearances’, travel and other activities that take away from your training and regeneration. Do we really know what transpired with Asafa post-WR, and did he get away from his regular routine?

But yes, it would be interesting to see what his ‘testing’ results were.

Are they really so different?
Stephen Francis does hills 2x/wk in the GPP and extensive wts. Doesn’t this develop short speed and acceleration? There was the example of Sherone Simpson’s times over the season. What does everyone think about this?

Interesting posts, regarding the hamstrings 4 days a week. I have come to an understand that hamstrings(especially in sprinters) are fast twitch dominant. This means they will respond better to heavy weights with an average amount of sets with a medium low amount of reps. Ontop of lifting like that it would tax the CNS alot so it’d be best to only do that kind of direct hamstrings work 2-3 times out of the week. Also by not training the quads, it could have the effect of allowing the hamstrings to catch up to the strenght level of the quads since I’m sure they do quite a bit of starts. Since starts are probably dominant I’m sure hte quads get a decent workout from those but I would never want to neglect my quads in the weight room.

I like the long to short and the short to long approach. How fast do you suspect the 12x200 with 3 mins rest to be in?

Id say 80%. So for a 20.20 runner around 25 seconds. I have a feeling that is broken down into 3 sets of 4. I have done 3x3x200 and it is a pretty difficult intensive tempo session.