FREE Stephen Francis (Asafa Powell) Coaching Masterclass in London

Actually, Sherone Simpson’s 11.11 was done on 28 February 2004, not January, and the same month she ran 23.4 and 54.88. She didn’t ran indoors so not sure about her accel level (Powell ran 6.56 indoors last year so it seems that this part is not yet in place at that time of the year, however, the “training through it” troubles the picture), but even if it’s a long to short program, it seems that the actual effects were to develop the start/accel/speed area more than the endurance area, as prove the 11.11 vs 23.4 & 54.88. By late May, she improved to 11.01 and 22.70 (no 400m), and by August 11.03 (no 200 & 400).
Same can be noticed in Long to short approach with Griffith-Joyner season in 1988:
May: 400m in 52sec
June: 100m in 10.89, 200m in 22.15
July: 100m in 10.61, 200m in 21.85
Sept: 100m in 10.62, 200m in 21.34, 400m in 48.1r
-> the endurance side improved much more than the pure accel/speed side, even if she started the speed workouts on track very late according to her intrviews…

In the lack of accurate sample of their weight and hill training, at least we can only be sure about what they do on the track. So you’re right Charlie, Powell’s 9.84 in May with no speed work done yet shows that they have alternative methods to develop speed, other than sprint practices on track. Maurice Greene used also long to short approach but is still the WR holder at 60m indoors. He also showed that it’s possible to continue an outdoor season after a WR in Athens in June (9.79) to win WCh in August in 9.80…

Looking at Simpson, Powell and Frater 2004 and 2005 seasons, we notice that they have 3 peaks in their seasons, one in May, the second one at Trials and the last one at Majors. The introduction of sprint practices in track corresponds to results decrease in competition.
Is this decrease in results caused by overloading at training or a by a delicate period dealing with bad effects of late introduction of sprint type efforts?

Always the danger of a long-to-short approach is knowing when the speed work is going over the top in practice AND, if there is not enough high-intensity work throughout the season (regardless of how tough the sessions might be), the strong likelyhood that there will be a narrow peak in the 100m.

[QUOTE=tc0710]
“Any reason given why 3 times more?”

His comment on the hamstrings working 3 times more than the quads means that the quads, as Charlie mentions, play a mainly eccentric role at max speed. During the push off phase, only the hamstrings and adductors are active. In the last part of the swing phase, the quads are active, but only in preparation for the stance phase. During cushioning, the quads are contracting eccentrically. In the flight phase, the swing leg thigh is driven forward by the hip flexors. Only one quadricep aids in this action: the Rectus Femoris.

“It does seem a little odd to think cleans are safer than squats and that squats take longer to learn.”

I guess his reservation to squatting lies in the weight used. More weight is used in squatting than in any other exercise. Mark McKoy cleaned 130kg compared to a massive 210kg for his squat.

[quote=“NickP”]

Thanks for the reply. Interesting that people still think of danger in terms of weight rather than force. OLs produce far greater forces than squats etc. Though 210Kg is pretty scary. Still i would ask the question, if he was worried about weight why not just increase the reps or increase the ROM or both. I assume he wasn’t squatting 210Kg to the floor for 3 reps- though i may be wrong.

I find it interesting that even among the world’s top coaches there is are major differences in the focus of attention with respect to different aspects of training.

tc, I still find this hard to contemplate. How there can be so many opinions on something as primitive as sprinting or strength training still amazes me!

I think alot of problems are caused by the underdevelopment of muscles groups used in complex exercises. For instance, weak lower back in contrast to stronger legs. This can often be assumed to be a risk associated with an exercise, rather than a problem within the athlete!

I was re reading S francis notes.
2 hills, 2 speed (or they are on the hills) 2 tempo sessions, 4 wts sessions…
before track?so, does it chang e in spp?
example gpp can be
speed
tempo
hill
tempo
speed
hill (longer slower)

or speed
hill
tempo
speed
hill
tempo
any insider?

Does anybody else agree that Powell seems to display almost no anterior pelvic tilt whilst he runs. Could performing the Front Squat have any influence in this?

The front squat is difficult to perform with any anterior pelvic tilt, could it (front sqaut) help to build the torso strength required to develop the ability to hold the hips “high”? Thus helping knee lift, step over, reduce backside mechanics etc.

I remember PJ in the French Training methods mentioning Perecs old coach preferred the front squat over the back squat, in an attempt to minimise excessive lumbar lordosis.

What do you guys think about the high knee repeats for 150m. Are those be done every sprint day, or special end day? Or that is that just a drill that you would perform in GPP. What have other tried or have in there workouts?

That would normally be classified as Strength Endurance and would be done at the end on Special Endurance days or occasionally as a separate session on its own. I can start in the GPP and continue on well into the SPP period

anybody? guys?

[QUOTE=pierrejean]

S.Francis: “He will use high knees and straight leg bounds for specific strength. High knees for 100 or even 150m to develop hip flexors.” :confused: any link?

QUOTE]

Charlie also uses this as strength endurance. And i think stretching is a big issue with that element.

Bump…

A few years ago these guys were Newcomers and there Methods were questioned. I wonder if you guys feel the same way…