For L-S

Charlie how would you adjust (if at all) the GPP template for an athlete following a L-S program?

This is a very good question, would you have two days of high intensity as per the spp? What other adjustments are useful

i know he talked about it in the Seminar… Im just a bit blurred on the exact details.

I think more tempo was called for.

Did he mention longer hill runs?

And your also talking L-S as in 400m as well yar?

Not that I recall and certainly not in my notes

[i]If going S-L then GPP may be shorter than that for L-S.

Downside of L-S is that can be harder to develop speed later. [/i]

Don’t worry so much about my own situation as I am pretty confident I have that sussed it is more for a 100 / 200m runner going L-S.

i would still think more tempo than on the DVD. After all, they are doing like 600’s in SPP, so fitness needs to be high.

It would make sense to follow a similllar GPP for both S - L and L - S because for both acceleration needs to have been developed, so the dvd would seem to apply for both. Im not sure about the increased tempo session as that would be geared towards the 400m, but for a 100m/200m runner you could still keep the sessions short.

yeh i think the hill distance is longer more like 80m+.

Look at the qualities that need to be in place to do the very first session in your program. For the one on Van’04 DL you need to be able to handle 2x600m, so you are going to need some serious tempo to do that! In order to up the tempo volume and increase fitness you will need to make adjustments elsewhere. I’d also suggest that you will need to lengthen your GPP to 8-10weeks but the last 4 weeks can be a “transition” period where you are moving from tempo to the long Special Endurance.

I recon a plan would be for the Tempo to achieve something like, 10x200’s at projected 600m pace with 2min recovery. Ie, if your aiming for 1;30 600’s, thats 10x200s at 30s with 2min recovery. I recon if you cant handle that your going to find it hard to run 1;30 600’s, and then for 2off em.

That is what I have done, planned and thought. I’m nearing the end of week 5 on the template but it is week 7 in real terms and tempo adjusting as prep for those damn 600’s :stuck_out_tongue:

So could you have something that had 2 high days in the first 4 weeks of GPP and 3 - 4 days of tempo, and during the last 4 weeks of GPP transition one of the days into a special endurance day that leads into the 600’s or would you transition one of the two high intensity days and keep the the 3-4 tempo days.

That sounds like one good way of doing it. Those 600m reps are killer. I think you need to start by planning the kind of time you are aiming for based on previous experience and how tempo is going.

For the longer hills, would you want whatever distance you are running to take the amount of time similar to a flat 300?

What about people with no hills around that do sled pullsas a alternative, should they still do longer runs?

Could you start strength endurance drills in the GPP?

How early would you introduce the strength drills in the GPP?

anybody have thoughts or suggestions?

I didn’t take it that you meant the SE days in the last 4 weeks as being hills and that could be a good option for part of it. If so yes base it on time to run a 300 (so could be a 220m hill for example) if doing them that way I would work to jogging back and do another so you get
2 x long hills with jog recovery

If you don’t have access to hills :cool: 220 - 250m is a long way to drag a sled.

You could do the SE drills in GPP, but be careful not to overdo it and build up gradually. Maybe in that last 4 weeks add them in on a tempo day where you would do a lower volume.

All that said I still think increasing tempo may be a better option. It is simply running the distance that I find hardest. That is why in the last few weeks of GPP and in SPP1 I will introduce tempo runs like
3 x 3 x 300 (100m walk between reps, 500 between sets)

600 breakdown

100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100 (60 sec between reps)

as I said that is my view and we all know how shite I am at running :frowning: :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it me or do the 600m runs seem a little long. I understand that its better for women and beginners because we spend more time in the endurance zone rather that just pure speed. I was thinking of adjusting so to have it as day one start at 250 - 200 and work your way down to 80- 100m especially for indoors and day 2 start at 400 and work down to 200m. I can handle speed ok, because i am at the novice level at 11.2. But like i said that might be better for spp1 and then fpr spp2 becuase i have already built up then move to the 600s and 300s. Thoughts?

The question is if you come in at 250m will you be able to run them fast enough to get the effect? Of course you could do it that way and i’m sure you would be fine. Details are less important than consistently good training.

Rather than determining this arbitrarily, I would go according to the target race/distance. I wouldn’t like the idea of extending the distance in SPP II though. You could try this the following season, if needed. Aren’t you looking for a progression from SPP I towards your aim? Think of all the distances you end up with each time you come down -what do you have? Can they work around the rest of the training elements? And why do you have to start from/implement 600 m? This is Charlie’s suggestion for the whole season, no?

Well ok this is how i was thinking on how to develop it, in the gpp i would follow like the dvd has planned out but only two high intensity days and in the last 2 or 3 weeks have a 3rd day to focus on special endurance. Also to include 4 days a week of tempo for the first 4 - 5 weeks and and 3 tempo days for the last and continuing on into the spp. Now for the spp, two high intensity days. Day 1 distances start at 250 and work down to 100m and day 2 speed days start at 400 and work down to 200. The reason i pick these distances is that in the beginning with only a 20m accel a 250 or 400 would be pretty difficult. The other reason is that charlie has mentioned that you need to practice at the speeds you will competing at. Well if i start at 600m and am a 100/200 runner, would those speeds not be to slow to transition to a 100m race speed. Keep in mind that i will not be training on a indoor track with tight corners, if i was then i would be increasing the distances to limit the damage.

Thoughts or suggestions from anyone

How many weeks is that in total?

The last 2-3 weeks of GPP why add in a 3rd high intensity day for SE? Can’t you just add that in on the 2nd day you have. That said aren’t you starting to blurr the line then between GPP and SPP? Is that even an issue?

SPP sounds a plan.

FYI I have another couple of weeks before going SPP…will be interesting to see how it goes. :cool: