Football and oxidative capacity

I have read about the benefits of tempo runs in Charlie’s e-book CFTS, however, from a football players standpoint, I am interested to know if tempo runs are used to build the oxidative capacity (the ability to display power throughout the game without any significant decrease in performance)?

I apologize if this is all fundamental. But I am all new to this kind of stuff. Thank you for your time.

David Plum, Denmark

Tempo improves your ability to recover between high intensity sprint bouts. It doesn’t matter if you are a 100m sprinter of football player, you have to be able to recover.

he want to know will it help him sustain a high effort for 4 quarters and maybe a long overtime.

Our team had no issues last year with conditioning, even during heat games with black jerseys. So I believe it can be done.

yeh i think its a lil different with hs kids vs college athletes, i remember in hs i was fitter then i was in college. i usually gauge the type of conditioning we do when my guys report, if i am unhappy with there fitness level we will do a lil more int tempo, if they return fit ill stick more with ext tempo throughout the summer.

Exactly.

So tempo runs IS the “method” used to increase oxidative capacity for football in terms of using Charlie Francis’ ideas?? Enlight me :slight_smile:

internal and external tempo runs? Could you elaborate on this one?

intensive tempo: higher intensity 80-90%
extensive tempo: lower intensity 55-75%

Got it. Thank you, tamfb.

David

I saw you were posting from Demark…were you refering to American Football :slight_smile:

Devils, yes. I were referring to American football . :slight_smile: