Fittest, strongest, fastest, the game's best athletes

Talk about having something to fill a paper when theres nothing else worth reading

Adrian Proszenko
February 4, 2007

CHRIS Beattie is on the wrong side of 30 and hasn’t played a game in Australia for two years but can now claim to be the strongest man in the NRL.
With the first match of the season just 43 days away, The Sun-Herald contacted all 16 clubs to determine the strongest, fastest and fittest men in the game.

Nine clubs tested the maximum bench press of their players during the pre-season, and veteran prop Beattie came out on top with a one-repetition lift of 180 kilograms.

The stunning effort puts him above Melbourne forward Antonio Kaufusi, Manly premier league forward Sione Finefeuiaki and Eels trio Fuifui Moimoi, Richard Fa’aoso and Weller Hauraki, who can all bench 170kg.

New Zealand Warriors back-rower Sonny Fai registered a bench press of 185kg but is yet to make his debut in the NRL.

Their numbers are impressive, but they are well short of the mark set last season by former Manly colossus Kylie Leuluai, who benched 220kg - and did three repetitions.

Former Queensland prop Beattie, who returns to the NRL with the Sydney Roosters after a two-year stint with French Super League team Catalans Dragons, credited “good habits” and an injury-free run for his superb physical condition.

“From a weights point of view, as an older player you just program yourself ,” he said.

“After you’ve been doing it for a number of years you reach a certain strength. I believe I have got stronger at the end of my career.”

The 31-year-old, when told his lift was the highest in the league, played down the result.

“We primed ourselves for that lift,” he said. "It’s not a weight I throw around every week.

"It’s only one lift - I’m sure there are a lot of guys who do more chin-ups or push-ups.

“I don’t get too carried away with that sort of stuff.”

While Beattie’s lift is the heaviest, Sea Eagles halfback Matt Orford is, pound for pound, the strongest man in the league. Aptly nicknamed Ox, Orford can bench 160kg - twice his body weight.

Rather than measuring a one-repetition maximum (1rm) lift, several clubs tested how many times a player could bench his body weight.

St George Illawarra’s 101kg back-rower Sam Isemonger can do it 25 times, ahead of Kangaroos centre Matt Cooper (21).

Utility Luke MacDougall has also impressed teammates since joining from South Sydney, particularly after squatting his body weight 85 times on a one-legged press machine.

Several Dragons have added size to their frames in the off-season while decreasing their skinfold readings, most notably outside back Josh Morris (6kg), Cooper (4.5kg) and former Shark Beau Scott (4kg).

At the Roosters, 85 per cent of the squad are benching more this season than at any other time of their career.

Craig Wing and Anthony Minichiello are pressing 145kg and 150kg respectively.

Former Dragons hooker George Ndaira can squat 250kg and has been clocked at under five seconds during 40-metre sprints on grass.

Halfback Josh Lewis, the quickest man at the club, completed 31 chin-ups at a recent session.

Emerging forward Frank-Paul Nuuausala has trimmed from 125kg to 108kg and Willie Brown is 110kg, a far cry from the 130kg he weighed a couple of years ago.

Penrith winger Luke Rooney has knuckled down in the pre-season in an attempt to return to representative football and strength and conditioning coach Carl Jennings has rated him the club’s “best all-round athlete”.

The former Kangaroo’s figures are impressive. He can bench his own weight of 100kg 15 times, squat three times his body weight 65 times and shoulder press half his weight an amazing 49 times.

In an endurance assessment - in which Jennings tested how far the Panthers can run in one minute - Rooney recorded the best distance of 440m.

Those figures are expected to improve when the Panthers complete a round of testing this weekend.

In all, the Panthers’ skinfold levels have come down 30 per cent as part of new coach Matt Elliott’s focus on fitness and mobility.

“We’re a lot leaner and people will recognise that when we start playing,” Jennings said. “There’s no point looking like Tarzan if you play like Jane.”

Manly have gone through protein supplements worth $12,500 in the past three months in an attempt to bulk up their squad. The investment has paid off, with the players adding an average of 2.5kg of muscle during that period.

Tongan powerhouse Finefeuiaki won the Sea Eagles “strongman” contest although he does weights only once a week.

The real surprise packet has been Chris Hicks. The underrated outside back can bench his bodyweight of 90kg 27 times. He holds the club record for backs, benching 110kg 18 times and still being able to post sub-five-second 40m times.

At only 80kg, pint-sized half Travis Burns also trains above his weight - squeezing out a 150kg press.

Parramatta strength and conditioning coach Hayden Knowles believes he has one of league’s strongest men in former Rooster Richard Fa’aoso.

The Tongan international is also just behind Eric Grothe in 40m sprint testing.

“He’s the most powerful thing I’ve come across … and the quickest I’ve seen in a big guy,” Knowles said.

Benji Marshall has posted promising results in a series of “related power” assessments. Wests Tigers’ Kiwi playmaker averaged a vertical jump of 49.67cm over five jumps, pipping John Morris.

In Canberra, the average player weight has increased to 98.9kg, with 3.5kg less fat.

Leading the way in the strength department is prop Jason Williams, who benches 160kg and is able to squat 180kg for three repetitions.

Raiders strength and conditioning coach Sean Edwards, who worked with Wallabies stars during his time in rugby, described Williams as one of the strongest athletes he’s seen.

Only Souths, Brisbane, Gold Coast and the Bulldogs - who have not yet completed strength and speed testing - did not provide results or player rankings, but Brisbane’s performance director Dean Benton said the premiers were physically a month ahead of where they were at this stage last season.

from the same paper comes this

Quick enough for the Olympics

NOT only is Brett Stewart the fastest man in the NRL, the Manly fullback is quick enough to run for Australia at the Beijing Olympics.

That’s the opinion of Sea Eagles sprint coach Clayton Kearney, who clocked Stewart at 6.2 seconds over 60 metres at a recent speed session.

Kearney is well qualified to judge Stewart’s credentials, having won many Australian titles, posted a hand-clocked time of less than 10 seconds and raced against people such as Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and Linford Christie during a distinguished track career.

Kearney believes that, without any track-specific training, Stewart could today post a hand-clocked time of 10.6 seconds over 100 metres - just 0.5 seconds short of what’s required to make the national team.

“He’d be a strong contender for the Olympics,” Kearney said. "When you look at someone like [the three-time national 100m champion] Josh Ross, I reckon Brett would match it with him. Brett has as much talent as Henry Mitchell, who I train and will run in the Telstra A-series.

“He could do it. He has speed to burn. He could definitely make it as a track athlete.”

Stewart predicted there would be little between himself and fellow NRL speedsters such as Rhys Wesser, Brent Tate, Eric Grothe and Brett Morris in a match race.

“I don’t think there’s anyone out there that would beat anyone by a massive distance over 100m,” he said.

Kearney said Stewart was faster than he was last season, when he crossed for 21 tries in as many games.

“He’s two or three metres quicker than he was last year,” Kearney said.

“He’s still developing, he’s still on the way up as far as speed. He’s actually three or four kilograms heavier than he was last year, which is a nice thing when you’re faster.”

Gee the footballers can be so full of crap… Make the Olympics…
When guys are weighing in at 120kg +, surely you would expect 180kg + max, im surprised it is not more… Like the guy from last season, 220kg for 3 (thats more like it)- why is there not more? My old sprint training partner could do 3 for 140kg, at a weight of 76kg - and he was not too special - maybe he should have tried football?
6.2 for a 1st reaction hand timed 60m… Thats fast for a footballer, but if he could manage to hold on for 100m and post a 10.60, he Might make the national final, doubt it. Half a second is a long way off making the national team. Perhaps if he took time off and concentrated on making the team, and lose all the $$ from football to just get flogged at the worlds or Olympics, make no $$ in the process. 6.2 - add in 0.24 for reaction, and 0.2 for going when the gun goes and not 1st reaction. thats like a FAT 6.6ish. A pretty decent time, why not get him doing some races over his off season, which happens to be Aust track in season. (cause they would find out he be full of crap?) Scare out the opposing teams?
At least some teams tested body weight benchs as well. Not too bad, but dont put em in the Arnold Pump N 5k… A hell of a lot there were doing body weight benchs of over 25+. The limit was to stop at 30, and a lot were hitting the 30reps. Then running 5k in 16 - 20mins.

Overall, guys in the football are doing pretty well. Training full time.
How many teams are there? 12?
15+ guys in each team?
Thats a big tallent pool to choose from. I would have thought at least 1 guy from each team could;
bench 200kg
at least one could bench double body weight
at least one could bench own body weight 30 times
at least one was quicker than 11s for a 100m
After all, they talk the talk that they are as well trained as any olympian!! Surely they mean the whole team? NOt just one or two guys from each team?

Thats my rant. sorry to bore you and piss you off in advance.

“The former Kangaroo’s figures are impressive. He can bench his own weight of 100kg 15 times, squat three times his body weight 65 times and shoulder press half his weight an amazing 49 times.”

So he can squat 300kg 65 times…are these 1 inch squats :smiley:

“Benji Marshall has posted promising results in a series of “related power” assessments. Wests Tigers’ Kiwi playmaker averaged a vertical jump of 49.67cm over five jumps, pipping John Morris.”

Is this a typo or a special test or something? Benji can surely clear 2ft vertical jump.

“Kearney is well qualified to judge Stewart’s credentials, having won many Australian titles, posted a hand-clocked time of less than 10 seconds and raced against people such as Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and Linford Christie during a distinguished track career.”

less than 10 seconds for 100yards :confused:

“Kearney believes that, without any track-specific training, Stewart could today post a hand-clocked time of 10.6 seconds over 100 metres - just 0.5 seconds short of what’s required to make the national team.”

10.6 hand would be 10.83, padestrian. And only 0.5s :rolleyes:

“He’d be a strong contender for the Olympics,” Kearney said. “When you look at someone like [the three-time national 100m champion] Josh Ross, I reckon Brett would match it with him. Brett has as much talent as Henry Mitchell, who I train and will run in the Telstra A-series.”

I’m sure he would. Brett is pretty quick…for a rugby player. There would be so many players in nfl who would beat this guy and yet would not hold a candle to a sprinter. I’m sick of these comparisons

What about this one?

[i]Inglis has guns for Olympic gold
By Mike Hurst

October 29, 2006 GREG Inglis is the best-moving sprinter in rugby league since the great Sharks centre Steve Rogers.
And, like Rogers, Inglis shows all the attributes of an Olympic sprinter. All he would need to do to get a run in Beijing in 2008 is run the entry time, preferably more than once, and win the Australian championship in 2008.

But whereas Rogers might have become an Olympic finalist at 200m, Inglis looks capable of going 400m as well. At 1.91m, he has the power, efficiency and ability to relax on the run - like Australia’s greatest 400m runners, Cathy Freeman and Darren Clark - but also the height and leg length Freeman and Clark needed to challenge for world records.

Inglis is as tall as the Americans who restricted 1.78m Clark to fourth in the 1988 Seoul Olympic final, where he ran an Australian record of 44.38sec which still stands.

And the only athlete Sydney Olympic gold medallist Freeman had trouble with was towering Frenchwoman Marie-Jose Perec, who won the 400m and 200m at the 1996 Olympics and whose times at both distances were superior to Freeman’s best. But the bravery needed to endure the pain of an NRL game is different to that required when a sprinter feels the burn of lactic acid, and it takes time to develop a tolerance at cellular level to sprint for 400m or even 200m.

If Inglis wants to take a crack at it, the automatic selection times for the 2007 Osaka world championships are 10.21sec for 100m, 20.59sec for 200m and 45.55sec for 400m. The Olympic standards won’t be much faster.

Mike Hurst is Australia’s foremost athletics journalist and the former coach of Darren Clarke.[/i]

rugby players sprint performances r always exagerated. i’m willing 2 bet the house that non of these guy will even qualify 4 the games in the shape that they r in.

i agree, this is all bollox. some footballer told me that thierry henry would have made the olympic 100m semi finals in athens! i think what these people don’t realise is the difference between running 10m and 100m. 10m you can rely much more on pure power and strength. by the time you come to maintain that, technique becomes much mroe of an issue, and the way this guys are built, and their weight makes it damn near impossible to move efficiently. the cardiff blues all train where i train as do some of the other professional rugby clubs around here. watching them run is a joke, technique is appaulling! also in the orginal article here, the best distance in a minute being 440m!!! that’s going through 400 in say 55-54! nothing spectacular there! then to go on and say another rugby player only has to run 45.5 to make the worlds is just ridiculous!

soccer bullshit are N.1…
in rugby and m. Football you have greater precision in timing, and mAny coming from track…

i also find here, that particularly in rugby, they take their sport science support more seriously than they do with football (soccer), so the level of accuracy like you say, and the time they spend working on issues such as speed is greater. still despite all this, they don’t look like they can run!

i will b really surprised if any rugby player can officially run a sub 10.5 or sub 21 or sub 45 with FAT.

i would guarantee none can in this country

BUT WAIT THERES MORE…

from the same paper and the team i uaed to work with for a few years comes this.

Roosters Halfback Jamie Soward might be quicker than Shane Whereat and former great britain speedstar Martin Offiah.

Soward clocked a hand timed 4.88 sec 40m run and was rated at Olympic standard for his speed out of the blocks. :eek: :eek:

(this rating came from a man who never atteneded the seminars and when i was there said theres not to much to learn about sprinting)

I will attempt to dig out some times from my time there from 2000 to the end of the 2004.

we did full electric timing under a reaction start to a gun.

In all honesty, these guys Should be lightning over the 40m! That is there game. Lasting 100m at full flight they should not. You might see a break like once per year from somebody stealing a ball at one end and making it to the other, even then they look like they are running the last 100m from a 400m race…
These guys have to be super fast over 20-40m, then your either tackled or you pass the ball along or your tackling. The rest should be generall fitness. As CF said in the seminars, if a guy is fit enough to run a 200m, where is he going to run to on the field? its only 100m long!
These guys should be strong (tackling), strength endurance (a lot of tackling), accelerate fast (looking for gaps and busting the line), fit (last the game). They dont need speed endurance (pass the ball along).
What else do they need, what else dont they need?

its so annoying when people from other sports think they can match sprinters - sprinters are the BEST at sprinting, rugby players are teh best at rugby and so on…and handtiming 6.2 60m :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, joe rocokoko, NZ rugby union, had 4"66 over 40m, standing start, electric time

yea cept they get a metre run in 2 the timing gate so its minus reaction and ~first stride~

doug howlett (all black winger) ran 10.7x as a secondary school student but due to rugby has become slower (atleast over 100m).

yea he’s piled on like 15kg or something since those days and has admittedly said he can’t get close to breaking 11. I saw his results in meets a few years back (2001-2003), his offseason, and maybe he’d been injured but he was running 23.05 4 the 200…

The Olympics is what its all about…at least here it is.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com