First time speed Endurance

Two weeks from now I’ll be starting my first training block of speed endurance. I was strictly a jumper in college and rarely did any true Speed End work. My question for the forum is, how do I set up the remaining 2 speed workouts during this period?? Ill be coming off of a 4wk top speed phase(3-1). Should I devote one session to acceleration and one to top speed?? Or mix them up evenly btw the sessions. I plan on doing Speed E for 8 or 9 wks starting with split endurance runs over 60m progressing up to 120m full recovery sprints. Any suggestions would be helpful.

WHat kind of jumper were you?
WHat are your body dimensions and Pr’s or time splits?
What is your training age and biological age?

Sorry this took so long, I went away for the weekend.

I was a long and triple jumper. My PRs were 21’ 11" and 45’5".
Ive only ran twice in a meet. I ran the 200 both times, with my first one being 26.2 and the second time 25.8. My training age is about 7 yrs now and Im 23. I was very slow in college for a D1 athlete. The first time I timed myself in a practice(a month after graduating) I ran a 4.4s 30m. After training with charlie’s system for 12 weeks, I ran the 30 in about 3.70. Ive only just begun doing top speed work now. My flying 20 is 2.15. I hope to get it down under 2s. Also I am5’11" and weigh 210. My bodyfat is way too high, probably close to 20%. Strength…I havent lifted anything in about 6 months, but as of January I had a 425lb full squat at around 200lbs. Ok well thats me. Any help would be great guys. My goal is to run under 7.1s 60m FAT from blocks or a 6.8 handtime from standing. Also would like to run the 200m under 23s and the 100m in under 11.3s.

Thats me…suggestions???

i sometimes like to mix the sessions when it comes close to competitions.
ex you can start off with
flying 20s (2 or 3) done before any acc runs. trusy me ur times will be faster
4x30m
4x60m (30m acc + 30m maintain) 5min rest
finally 2x80-120m with 10min rest

so in one session you can work all componants. that i prefer

any thoughts from others?

yeah…that seems like way too much volume. Plus I think Id like to keep all my elemnts seperate so that I can get the full benefit out of each. Though I probably will do a couple of 30m accels before speed endurance just to “wake up” my muscles.

Thats not that great a volume. If you count the flying 30s in the warm-up, the main body of the workout is 580 to 640m total, though I’d separate the SE from the pure speed. Many jumpers at the world level are great 200m runners as well, and, as you have an issue with leanness…
You can do the SE once a week as split 60s, though I’d start with shorter breaks (say 2 to 3 sets of 4 x 60m with 2.5 min between runs and 7 to 10 min between sets) moving to longer breaks, lower set and rep numbers at higher speeds as you progress.

Wouldnt the 4x30m and the 4x60m really be considered speed work? Im just worried abt wearing my CNS out before I get to the meat of the workout, which I would consider to be the 80-120m runs.

Also, I realize that since speed E work puts less stress on the CNS, higher volume can be tolerated when compared to true speed work. However if I start my speed E program with split endurance runs, would I want to keep the volume lower or jump right up to 450-600m volume??

Charlie

Ooops I didnt see the last part of your post for some reason. Thank you for the guidance.

Charlie,
How does this look for a plan
Mondays…max speed work
Fridays…accel work
Wed…speed E

SPEED ENDURANCE
Wk1 2-4x60m(2.5min/7min btw sets)
Wk2 2-4x60m(3.5min/8min btw sets)
Wk3 3-4x60m(4.5min/10min btw sets)
Wk4 4x80m (10min btw each)
Wk5 4x100m(10min btw each)
Wk6 3x120m(12min)
Wk7 2x150m(15min+)
Wk8 4x150m(15min+)

For the most part volume is between 350 and 450m. I threw some spikes in volume thatll kick it up to 600-700m. I’m basing this off of suggestions that MJ and Quick once gave to Pete. Can anyone explain why this is done? And does this look like a fairly sound program??

Charlie,

You touched on this in another post regarding a short to long program using split runs for the speed endurance and the careful integration of speed into such a period.

I know that I would start off by raising the volume of speed endurance of split runs until the 4th week and then during week 5 on wed introduce a speed day of say 1/2 the projected volume of speed at the beginning of the workout and then reduce the total volume of speed endurance to 1/2 as well in the same workout. Then week 6 have 2 speed workouts with maybe 3/4 projected speed volume with 1/4 speed endurance work done after and then on the 7th week have 3 speed workouts with the speed endurace work done on the Sat. The 7th week could also be considered the 1 week of a high intensity phase. Comments. More importantly, what HAVE YOU DONE given an intermediate to high level or even a high level athlete doing split runs as the form of speed endurance training? Did you even do such things??? Please assume a short to long based program ONLY!

Thanks

Good question, I just noticed myself a few days ago, that many people make volume spikes in their plans, why is this done? I can’t think of any reasons.

You mean who trained with a short to long program including split-runs? Ben did.

Yes, I was to believe that most of your short sprinters trained this way.

So how DID you achieve this accumulation and then the integration of pure speed work into such a phase. Can we use Ben’s program as the example. Please. Also, when did he start using split runs as the type of speed endurance training in period I (indoor phase)? I know that you mentioned in 1985 you made a couple of major training changes. To my best recall, this wasn’t mentioned as one of the changes. Although it would seem that it could have coincided with the integration of the short to long program you started to use that year (1985).

thanks

Yes, we did begin to use split 60s from 1985 on in phase one (indoor) and usually for part of phase 2.
You can control the relative stress of these runs by determining how far into the runs you’ll accelerate (and what break you’ll take), relative to how far you accelerate during pure speed work. I wil be releasing some new material shortly including graphs of a long-to-short and a short-to-long program, which should help you visualize this better.

Charlie,
How does this look for a plan
Mondays…max speed work
Fridays…accel work
Wed…speed E

SPEED ENDURANCE
Wk1 2-4x60m(2.5min/7min btw sets)
Wk2 2-4x60m(3.5min/8min btw sets)
Wk3 3-4x60m(4.5min/10min btw sets)
Wk4 4x80m (10min btw each)
Wk5 4x100m(10min btw each)
Wk6 3x120m(12min)
Wk7 2x150m(15min+)
Wk8 4x150m(15min+)

For the most part volume is between 350 and 450m. I threw some spikes in volume thatll kick it up to 600-700m. I’m basing this off of suggestions that MJ and Quick once gave to Pete. Can anyone explain why this is done? And does this look like a fairly sound program??

Slowman, from what I understand the 150m speed endurance that you have proposed in weeks 7 & 8 would apply if you can sprint those distances in around the 15sec mark at 95% or above. So the distance you cover between approx. 8-15sec would be regarded as your speed endurance training zones. Any longer would be regarded as special endurance.

Top Speed: 6-8sec
Speed End: 8-15sec
Special End 1: 15-30sec
Special End 2: 30sec+

llenny

Llenny you are right abt these different training zones. So this brings up another question.
Charlie,
Are there any real differences btw a longer SE workout as compared to a short SE1 workout?? I mean 8-15s and
15-30s sprints are just estimates, but assuming that I only want to focus on SE right now…is there something to look for that will let me know that now Im running in SE1?? My guess is that I will not be able to maintain a percieved feeling if intensity… and this is when I will know when Im crossung this line.

Although technically true, I wouldn’t get totally caught up in that. The faster you are, the higher the “burn rate”, so the selection of time limits must be partially dependant on the individual. Just as there is some question as to the alacticc limit between 6 and 8 sec, the other limits will be blurred also. I’d stick with the distances, which will make your volume planning a lot easier.

Another question if you will, how did you setup your weekly schedule for speed during period ii - early outdoor(max speed)? Was max speed (pick-ups with a 50/60m run in) done the wed? and if so then where did you train speed endurance the same day after the max speed pickups? I don’t know if you’ve touched on this before. The only thing that I can recall is that you did speed endurance on the wed with pure speed (alactic - accel work up to 30m) done on Mon/Fri (this also helped the CNS recover because the output was 95% relative to potential max output). I just don’t know quite how to setup the outdoor period ii program with regards to Max speed work and max intensity speed endurance work.

By the way, I just have to get the forum review and I’m looking very forward to the SPP as I already have the GPP DVD. Great work!

Thanks

Charlie,
Quick question. If Im doing split endurance runs and I hit a PR, should I quit the workout then? I continued the workout today anyway. My PR was 7.09 in the 60 and my slowest one was 7.40 with 2.5min rest. Too much of a drop off?

With the short break 60s you should be running with a goal of consistency in mind. With short breaks and early in training, you should prob start with a 30m accel- at which point you maintain the speed you’ve reached.