First ever Track Run at 26 yo

Yesterday I ran in an open track meet and signed up tp run in the 100m, 400m, and 1500m to see where stand. This was the first time I ever ran in a track meet so I was kind of nervous. The first race was the 100m and I was put in with the High School Kids so we line up and listen for the starters pistol. On your mark, set, BANG!! As soon as the gun shot those kids were off and running and I tried my best to keep up with them put they weren’t slowing down. At about 50m my right glute tightened up and at about 60m my left hamstring was cramping but I managed to keep running to the finish line and come in 7th place at 13.63. 20min later was the 400m race and they put me with the same High school kids but I wasn’t as nervous as I was for the earlier race so we lined and at the sound of the gun I took off from lane 3 and was running the first turn at the same pace as the rest of them but once we hit the straight away lane 1 and 2 were in front of me and the group started to pull away and by 150-200m my legs could not go any faster. At the 300m mark I was practically jogging, gasping for air and the rest of the group nearing the finish line. So now I had the whole track to myself with all eyes on me. With about 50 meters to go I was getting dizzy and was seeing blurry, all I could see was the timer at the finish line waving his arm to keep going. I finally crossed the line with a time of 1:15 I was just happy I didn’t pass out.
So my goal is to go under 13 in the 100 and under 60 in the 400 by June 23 which is when the Final track meet is held.
I haven’t felt this sore in a long time. Next week is the 200m, 800m, and the mile. I think I’ll try the 200 and try the long jump. I was watching the kids long jumping and one kid who said he was 14 (he looked a little older to me) jumped 18’6 and 18’10 and it didn’t even look like he was trying.

Congratulations on getting out there and starting to run again. I had that urge a week and a half ago after running on a real track with spikes for the first time in over 10 years.

I think that with good training you can meet your goal for the 100m, I don’t think your goal for the 400m is reasonable. Going from 75 to 60 in about 6 weeks is too much of an improvement to be reasonable. You need to take off 7% of your 100m time to meet your goal; you need to take off 20% of your 400m time to meet your goal. For the average person (since I know nothing about your athleticism and fitness level relative to your ability), running a 1-minute lap is very difficult and is not an easy accomplishment. If you plan to run sub 60seconds, a better goal would to do it next year. Good luck!

thanks for the encouragement, that 400 is no joke and I have respect for the athletes that run and train for that event.

agree and well done, stick at it and try not to go too full on too soon. Consistency is the key.