"finish drill"

Can you describe the finishing drill mentioned in the speed training of Charlie Francis?

Fly-in or flying sprints with build-ups of 20-50m. Most use 20-30m buildups into a very fast (maximal or slightly sub-maximal) 20m section. Usually only the very highest level athletes would need 50m b-u. I think in-season CF recommended, if using finish drills at that point, keeping such work sub-maximal to train technical aspects of maximal velocity-high hips, stepping over, etc.

Hey I have a question that might go along with this - how exactly do you perform FEF? is the first 20 from blocks, or is the FIRST 20 also flying? Or is it just a relaxed start and then you focus on the last 20??

vary it…standing , rolling, blocks etc

Look man, all the necessary information you can find on this forum! No time to waste. Pick your socks up and off you go,
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?22606-EFE-FEFs&highlight=Johnson

Thank you wermouth! You are a very resourceful guy. I’ve searched the site on google with efe and fef but a million pages pop up with any of those words in it.

No worries
EFE and FEF as far as I know is a specific term used by Charlie. Other coaches using other term such as ins & outs.
I would suggest that you start using search engine on the website cf.com
One of the first articles going back to 2003 so there is more than decade of free, useful, supported by experience and research informations.
Read, read and again read!!!

wermouth

There are different applications of these drills. One version uses alternating intensity zones (EFE or FEF) as a way to increase the intensity demands and prevent the establishment of what is usually called a dynamic stereotype. Essentially it’s a variation of the stimulus. These types of drill are of particular value during periods when the acceleration intensity of the speed work is being limited. For example, if you are doing a progression of 60m runs over the course of several weeks, with a limit on the acceleration distance (e.g. 20m week 1, 30m week 2, etc.), the speed change drills can be applied on alternate speed days to vary the stimulus to compensate for the restricted intensity levels.

An alternate version is to perform a short segment (i.e. 20m) with a running start. The length of the lead-in segment will vary depending on which part of the acceleration curve you are emphasizing. In this case, you are essentially giving yourself an extra 10m or so to get started so that you are not burning all your energy overcoming resting inertia at the start, which would allow you to apply more energy later in the acceleration curve.

As mentioned above use the search engine and many questions, topics have been covered on a lot of different occasions. At times I’ve found more using Google then entering a topic into the search along with Charlie Francis or charliefrancis.com or a similar combination. Sometimes I have had better and more results doing this.

A longer extension of FEF (though not really a part of Charlie’s program that I’m aware) becomes sprint-float-sprint (SFS) and if employed that would likely come after (as in later weeks or phases) FEF in a yearly program. SFS will have longer phases than FEF (or EFE) which in CF’s system is done as 60m runs in 20m segments.

SFS early on can be another, longer way of developing maximal velocity and eventually morph into speed endurance training as the segment lengths and total distance of the runs are increased starting around 70-80m (also in three segments) and eventually up to 150m later on.

Flying sprints can also be used to hone mechanics under sub maximal conditions to help emphasize relaxation.