FEF vs. EFE

This guy is a track guy, just hasn’t done this type of program until this year. I think he’ll be better in a few weeks of doing this type of work.

I understand that, I have worked with college track athletes who cant execute the efe/fef etc.

CF, is the role of speed change drills to not only hit high velocities in order to continue to improve the top end but also to avoid the so-called “dynamic stereotype” which has been said to lead to early plateauing?

I guess the other value of such work is to be able to transition through gears/develop pick-up?

What you said, plus learn to do so, while relaxed.

Yes to all.

Charlie, after an enforced layoff-exam period-what’s the best course of action, regarding types of training/volume at this point? No meets until mid January.

Active rest was recommended for all but of course you never really quite know what they are doing, if anything. Thanks.

Watching the lad do “High starts”, I noticed he takes off with his left foot forward and left arm forward. I would encourage him to start opposite leg/opposite arm.

What was the last sprint 50+20m? I don’t understand.

Sprint 20m hard and then maintain that speed for remainder, in this case, 30m. so the 50m becomes 20 hard+30 maintain.

Get the Vancouver download for more info.

oh, i understand. an accelaration limit. should these be timed?

I may or may not, depending on how athlete feels and how things are going. I would only time the first part, not the maintenance. Maybe others have thoughts as well.

As an intensity limit of the whole run, the whole run should be timed (as well) in my opinion.

I’ve found when I did that, athletes pushed the limit to get a better total time. Then I would usually put the watch away.

Don’t let them see you timing, keep the watch in your pocket then they are none the wiser. :wink:

What do times mean anyway?? If an athlete does’t really slow down in the middle of an FEF, the second F will be faster- doesn’t mean it’s better. Even in an EFE, the time of the fast section depends on when the ‘hammer’ is dropped- earlier gives a faster time, even if the accel and form is better with an application closer to the actual mark. Put the watch away for these and insist on relaxation and good form no matter what.

1 Like

Charlie, should most EFE/FEF and fly-in work be performed sub-maximally in the GPP?

I think CF has said this many times, most athletes are not capable of running high speeds in GPP therefore all sprints are submax…

In terms of output/actual velocities achieved they are definitely sub-max. but my question is really about effort.

Do the athletes put in sub. max.(if even slightly sub. max.) efforts?

It is always relaxed so the actual output level is determined by the length of the build-up and the readiness level. Review the GPP download if you have it and this is shown in detail

With the EFE (since the length will always be 20m until the “fast”) would it it be advisable to tell the athletes to keep their efforts sub-max. especially during the earliest gpp where speed work is done?