Feet pointed Outward/Widetracking solution.

I know we have discussed “widetracking” before and I have said numerous time that personally my feet always point outward when I run and even when I walk and this is probably what causes me to skate or run side to side esp. during accel. In an article I came across on http://www.inno-sport.net/Sprinter%20Symptoms%20part%202.htm
Chris Korfist states…

The last problem is what I call a wobbly body, which is defined by body parts moving unusually. An obvious example would be “feet ducking”, which is when the runner’s feet are turned out like a duck when they run. The reason why this happens is that the biceps femoris is stronger than the semi-ten/semi-mem in the hamstring musculature. A simple cure to this problem is to perform posterior chain exercises like Glute-hams and Reverse Hypers while pinching a ball or the pole in between the feet.

What is everyones thoughts on this?

Make sure you have adequate hip flexibility first

When he says pole does he mean the piece that seperates your feet on a GHR. Anyways if the Biceps Femoris is relatively too strong, I would stick solely with reverse-hypers and other hip extension movements.

Is that the theory that tight hip flexors cause your feet to turn outwards? I can remember something along those lines being posted ?quite recently, maybe by Flash.

Flash?

I believe his theory is right as I used to widetrack or as he calls it “feet ducking.”

I worked with heavy deadlifts for about 2-3 months and the problem corrected itself, but my flexibility is no where near adequate.

louie simmons has stated this occurs because of weak hamstrings.

I doubt elite sprinters have “weak” hamstrings. I would rather use the term functionally weak or say that they have muscle imbalances. Usually its the hip flexors that are tight and strong keeping the femurs externally rotated (the iliopsoas attaches to the trochanter minor on the medial side of the femur). Tight hip flexors tilt the pelvis anteriorly and inhibit normal hamstring function.

jumpman, how does a tight psoas create an externally rotated femur? A tight iliopsoas bilaterally creates a pelvic anterior tilt with lumbar lordosis and hip flexion. Wouldn’t it create an internally rotated femur?

If we’re referring to attachment, shouldn’t we mention that the iliacus and psoas major are two different muscles that have the same function but have two different attachments?

Yes, they have different origins, but same insertion at the lesser trochanter. And because of the different origins they also have different functions. The iliacus only crosses the hip joint whereas the psoas major and minor originate from the lumbar and thoracic vertebrae.

Thomas,
because the insertion is on the inside of the femur, the rotational pull on the femur is external. But I’m not saying that this is the only cause of external femur rotation, just something that is often overlooked. If you have tight hip flexors and rotate your femurs internally then what you get is even more anteriorly tilted pelvis and increased lordosis. You can’t just assume that every person having an anteriorly tilted pelvis will present internally rotated femurs based on this info. The body compensates in many different ways.

Got ya. I think that’s the point Thomas would have preferred you made originally.

read the initial post again. we are not talking about elite sprinters.

Are you saying that elite sprinters don’t have this very same problem?

I have a boy turning 13, in 2 months. He is 5 feet 7", 150 Lbs and barbell squats 147 Lbs, 3 x5 below parallel. But his feet still point outwards when he walks and runs. Any input from Charlie and other coaches/experts here will be appreciated. Thanks.