European Conference on Sprints & Hurdles - London

He was in Edmonton where they have an indoor 200m flat track (no bank) with about 100m from wall to wall to run 60 to 80m. If they did any running around the oval, it was very easy on the corners with higher speed runs on the straightaways (for Special Endurance work).

http://caltaf.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/imgp3050.jpg

When Kevin did coach in Vancouver (not nearly as cold but still rainy and cool in the winter), he was implementing speed work over 30-40m in hallways (much like I have done in the past). The Edmonton circumstances were much better than the Vancouver situation, but definitely far from ideal.

Thanks for your response Pj and No. 1. Your answers lead me to the question. Is the Canadian climate particularly suited to a S-L coaching philosophy? (Do the conditions you live in determine the most effective training schedule) I find this interesting. If Charlie coached in a warmer climate would he have developed the came S-L theories or would he have followed a L-S program which is still popular today?

Thanks for the clarification.

Sorry, I meant numbertwo not No.1 haha.
Back in my track days I worked out in both of the facilities under discussion. I still have to shake my head that I spent most of my indoor training “building my base” by running tempo at over 80% around tight corners. I wonder why I was injured all the time?

In Angella’s book she describes her training as more L-S and even discusses how Ben was pretty much the only one who could handle all of the short work and power work.

I will look back over it and see what it says for sure.