electronic timing system

Anything cheaper than this one, but still with good quality?

http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_3635

I’ve used this one but now it’s broken. I don’t use those systems too often because it sometimes don’t work, and i hate to rely on technology on the track, it’s irrating.

I deeply respect your opinion, I have used It in the past and loved It.

How do you follow athletes progression?

Do you think that video and handtimed chrono would be as good?

When hand timing an athlete you have to stand at the finish line. Sometimes i like to time AND watch the guys from the saggital plan. I use electronic systems in this case. When you record the guys on a camera you can’t see the action, so again i use video when someone can record for me or when i don’t need to time live or watch the action live. Hand time is what i use the most though. More accurate that what people think (i’ve done many comparison tests).

What kind of results (precision) do you have in comparison with the electronic device?

http://www.youtube.com/user/freelapsa#p/u/4/qijZk6UK6Dg

the US distribution site (freelap-usa.com)seems to no longer exist.

Are you aware of a US distributor?

Contact JP DaSilva @ 514-827-4597 or through www.freelapcanada.com

thanks guys, I will call him soon.

Is this thing really accurate?

Do these things give some kind of automated start signal that can be used in blocks?

I ordered the Freelap System from JP Silva. Still waiting on it.

Freelap Canada will be taking over the US distributor.

How much???

I paid $430 for the stopwatch, 1 x TX JR, the touch pad, and SH. If I would have bought 2 TX JR’s then I could have used it to time my flying/split times. It would have been closer to $500 but I chose to go with the cheaper route.

If your going to spend on a trainer get the one from finishlinx called reacttime. It gives starting commands gun sound comes with a speaker and measures block force and gives you reaction time. plus you can hook up a timer and it will give you real FAT time just like a track meet. I cant tell you how many guys use the brower system and make all these calculation in their heads because they run 3.6 or what ever and then think they are ready for 10.5 “at least” LOL. The reactime is the real thing… It aint cheap tho… 1200 for the block unit and if you add the timer its like 2000US

Just in case anyone is wondering I dont work for finish lynx…

If your going to spend on a trainer get the one from finishlinx called reacttime. It gives starting commands gun sound comes with a speaker and measures block force and gives you reaction time. plus you can hook up a timer and it will give you real FAT time just like a track meet. I cant tell you how many guys use the brower system and make all these calculation in their heads because they run 3.6 or what ever and then think they are ready for 10.5 “at least” LOL. The reactime is the real thing… It aint cheap tho… 1200 for the block unit and if you add the timer its like 2000US

Just in case anyone is wondering I dont work for finish lynx…

Yes, there is a touch plate/button that place your thumb on whenyou’re in the set position. When you start, you release the button and the stopwatch, which you attach to a belt you wear around your waist will automatically start. You need at least one sensor/wand in order to to time yourself. You can buy the system as a kit.

Yes, there is a touch plate/button that you place your thumb on when you’re in the set position. When you start, you release the button and the stopwatch, which you attach to a belt you wear around your waist, will automatically start. You need at least one sensor/wand in order to time yourself. You can buy the system as a kit. Comes with two sensors and the watch. You have to purchase the touch plate and belt separately. If you talk with JP DaSilva he will more than likely be willing work out a deal for you…514-827-4597. He distributes out of Canada. JP has taken over the U.S. distribution operation as well since Shawn O. stopped his U.S. distribution operation.

I use the system for training my sprinters and hurdlers. It works very well.

I used my Freelap for the first time yesterday and I got very similar times to what a Brower system had. It’s also at a very cheap price compared to a lot of timing systems out there.

JP worked out a pretty good deal for me as well.

I agree with PJ’s confidence in a coach holding a watch and relying on it.

I’ve been hand clocking athletes for over 20 years and have settled on a certain methodology that in my view, works pretty well and is accurate enough to know where my athletes are at. I hand time a lot of electronic races at the meets to get an idea where my times sits compared to electronic timing.

Basically I wait to the full body is past the post before stopping the watch and from there I’m generally between 0.18 and 0.22 faster. eg: an athlete runs a 60m trial in 6.85 at training I know they are probably in low 7.0 shape. I don’t accept my times if I miss by any more than the acceptable standard of 0.24; but that rarely happens.

At the pro running meets on grass I have found the (portable) timing mechanism the organisers use is slightly faster than the fixed and more sophisticated timing mechanism used at ‘amateur’ based meets. So my hand times are around 0.14 to 0.18 faster than the electronic timing. This is vitally important to know when I run trials because to hold a ‘fast watch’ can be very costly in our sport as it gives a false idea of where the athlete is really at in the scheme of things.

I always have the starter use a gun that gives off a decent smoke and I stand adjacent to the finish line. I generally take my eyes off the athletes with 5m to go and watch the line.

I have too much faith in my own ability to hold a watch to worry about spending thousands on a timing system. And historically for my own records, it offers consistency in making comparisions between athletes.

Have you thought of adding a macksflash to the gun, costs around $200 and you will pick up the .14/.18.