Effort/Intensity w/ Weights

So in the GPP plan described on the dvd, there are many exercises used at higher reps, almost circuit style with the short rests. My question though is how much effort is going on these exercises? 65% is not intense relative to a 1rm, but 3x10 w/ 60secs rest @ 65% is nearly (or is) 100% effort. Lower that to 40% and you still get your heart rate up, but there is a much smaller conditioning and hypertrophy effect.

So with the weights program, are we supposed to be going pretty easy, or still putting in big efforts for the relative set/rep/rest ranges?

Wouldn’t this depend on your needs? Overall intensity/stress is low during a GPP, so you can afford to make up for elements you can’t work on too much later on (e.g., hypertrophy, as you say).

Can you work on max strength during the gpp?

If you need to gain size, then push the weights hard at them higher reps. Its amazing how heavy you can go with the recovery droped to only 30sec!
If your already big enough as a sprinter, then as you say, keep the % of 1RM lower.

Interesting, I never thought of it that way, similar to my philosophy if the athlete dont need hypertrophy i would perfer to do some med intensity work like 5x5 or higher volume work with lower reps 7x5.

thats it, and, it can easily change from yr to yr as the athlete develops different and higher skills in certain areas.

Why would you want to do that?