effect of strength gain on 100m and 200m

good point but since i’m still in the phase, and comp does’nt come until early may, when should i start periodizing it till then, should i maintain now and keep it that way till then?

Interesting thread.

1. Is the thoughts only concern squats, or heavy weights overall?

2.Pioneer, you mentined that to long max-phase can turn to fiber conversion.
If this accour, can one converse them"back" to fast fibers?

Yes through lower volume and rest.

Somewhat off-topic but, Carl Lewis claimed he ran the worst when he lifted weights. This is due to the fact that he didn’t know how to periodize his weightlifting with sprinting sessions thereby probably taxing the CNS too heavily.

I’d love to get Charlie’s opinion on this thread…
(shameless bump but I hope Charlie notices it°

I believe either of these products will answer your questions. I know for a fact the first one will, I am not sure of the contents that were filtered down from the seminar into the second product but if you get the graphs that come with it then the second product will answer your questions as well.

http://www.charliefrancis.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=16

http://www.charliefrancis.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=25

More strength is not always better. Without a concomitant rise in speed-strength these athletes could definitely become slower. Remember that we are talking about high level athletes. For young athletes strength must be increased as part of the GPP, which will improve their performance. But for truly high-level athletes the GPP should already be in place and increasing it to higher levels will not positively impact performance. Instead, it can detract from performance by taking time and energy away from the SPP.

Also, keep in mind that any increase in strength has the ability to alter technique. I am not familiar with the specifics of these athletes, but it is possible that the additional strength negatively impacted the technique of the athlete and nothing was done to correct for this.

there are two ways to look at this. One is that, added to the plyos from the long jump and the rest, it was too taxing on the CNS (assuming there was no compensatory shift in the workload)
The other possibility is that weights were added as a panic measure after being soundly beaten in 1986 by Ben. The fact is that any knee-jerk response will never work. You must continue with what has worked so well for you all along and simply perfect and modify it as needed- not change it to respond to what someone else is doing.

I would think the initial shock of weight work to the body would confuse the hell out of it. If you take someone who has never lifted weights in their life and then get them to learn the squat, their brain has to get acustom to the new patterns of the movement and how long could this take for a beginner? A year or so to be proficient at it?? After the a person has the correct firing patterns in place, how long will it take him to make decent improvements in the exercise? And will the gains from the exercise be functional? Will the beginner be able to transfer any of the gains from the exercise onto the track? And finally most importantly, will the athlete be able to periodize his sprinting, jumping and weight work to achieve maximum benefit?

If you take all these factors into account, you cannot expect to see improvements in sprinting performance right when weight work is introduced. It could take a many years to see a improvements.

With a good coach you should be able to master the squat movement within a couple of months. The biggest gains in strength are always made by beginners so lets 2 years to be on the safe side. After such time their should be much improvement shown on the track. I.e. strength leads to better power gains and etc, etc, etc. IMHO Carl Lewis didn’t have CF has a coach and if he did I believe he would have done weights and would have been faster! Remember it is the Vertical Integration of weights that lead to drastic improvement; therefore, with unperiodized bodybuilding weightlifting it does not surprise me that CL didn’t make any improvements! Was CL lifting for strength or hypertrophy? Was CL on a vertical integration plan? These two questions are Rhetorical but hope you see the relevence in them!

but in rome, carl ran a great race! with a RT of 0"14 (his RT was a poor 0"19) he could run in 9"88, with a best (in that moment) of 9"96/9"97, in a slowr track (as not tokyo’s, i.e.).
The following year, he jump (in seoul) 8,70 m with head wind.
Where are the poor performances?
in truth, CF/BJ was greater than Tellez/Lewis

Are you for real? Tellez was great for Lewis. Carl has like 9 Olympics medals, ran 9.86, 19,75 and long jumped over 29 feet.
Did Hart and M.J. use vertical integration … if he was with Charlie and did,would he have ran faster than 19.32
There is more to coaching sprinters than you are allowing for.

we can talk about ben johnson vs carl lewis in 100 m dash not carl’s career (he is the best athlete ever of modern T&F) or BJ Vs MJ
This is a big difference!
nobody want to minimize carl but i repeat, we can talk about these yrs

Wow! What sort of weight program should take years to get used to? The weights should reflect the athlete’s current capacity.

can i repeat my question?
but, where is the problem about the weight training of Carl?
did he get worse in those yrs?
or was he faster?

Read the last sentence in my post again. Who cares about Carl ? … I was only responding to Supervenom’s notion that Charlie would have been better for Carl because he would have lifted weights. If that is the case, then we could also speculate that Ben would have been faster if he had done some plyos with Tellez.

sorry,
i didn’t see your quote!
but, ben couldn’t do plios (or such quality/quantity - if i remember well, he had knee problems)

I’m just saying that it takes a long time for beginners to learn exercises and execute them with perfect form. Have you ever seen a beginner lift free weights? They’re lucky if they don’t drop the weights on their head.

Have I ever seen a beginner lift weights? Why yes I have as a matter of fact. When you work in stages, generating the appropriate strengths in advance by med ball and other means, things can go smothly. If you don’t- they won’t.

That’s why its crucial to have a great coach teaching you the lifts!