Ed Coan's

Anyone tried Ed’s strength training cycles - look great for sprinters - simple and low volume. My only concern would be no unloading weeks within the 14 week cycles.

2 weeks of 2x10
2 weeks of 2x8
4 weeks of 2x5
2 weeks of 2x3
2 weeks of 2x2
2 weeks of 2x1

Like any program, depends on the loads. What loads are you suggesting?

I honestly prefer Mike Stone’s program, similar in terms of the linear progression and has been integrated into a complete program with success.

What is Mike Stone’s program and what are the differences?

67/67/71/75/78/82/86/89/93/97/100/104/108/112%

Why does it ‘look great’ for sprinters? Or do you not know the difference between powerlifters and other athletes?

BTW, Twhite have you read JTS training manual. With slightly lower volume it may work for sprinters.

Accumulation (week 1)
Intensification (week 2)
Realization (week 3)
Deload (week 4)

Block 1: 10’s
Block 2: 8’s
Block 3: 5’s
Block 4: 3’s

For example Block 1: Using 90% of 1rm
Week 1: 5x10
Week 2: 3x10
Week 3: RM test
Week 4: Unload

Very similar to 5-3-1.

Please inform me of the differences - Ms. pencil neck.??

I agree with Lyle. Elaborate on why you feel this would be good and at what time of the year. I’m interested in your reasons. Additionally, what types of sprinting distances/volumes are you incurring during these phases.

A good lifting program for lifters is quite different than that required for sprinters, particularly as you get out of GPP and into specific prep.

I mention this in the very first post: simple and low volume.

It’s great for me because it’s easy to stay on task and give great effort knowing that I only have 2 sets, similar to 10x200 vs 2x200 - lot easier to get up for. My training has been very similar the past 8 weeks with all weights submax and low volume and I have seen great results.

It is possible to get very strong using very simple or old school methods!!!

If I did something similar to Ed’s program it would be included in my low volume accel phase which will last about 12 weeks.

Awesome manual, I agree it’s very similar to Jim’s 5/3/1 manual.

5 sets of 10 with 90%?

No use 90% of 1rm to figure out your workout sets. 1rm 100lbs use 90lbs for your max

I agree with RB34 in the suggestion that a good strength program is a good strength program. Volumes and, during certain training phases, intensity might need to be adjusted so as not to conflict with sprint training demands, especially during later phases of the year, but that needs to be done with any plan.

Lyle, eat a donut and relax.

So what you are suggesting is that a good strength program for football is a good strength program for soccer, a good strength program for bobsled and a good strength program for a 100m sprinter?

I would have to seriously disagree based on my experience. I would even disagree on the basis of individual differences in athletes within the same sport/event. And, the higher the level of athlete, more individualization and customization will be required.

What ends up happening is that coaches try to mix and match weight programs based on success in other experiences with different sports and athletes. I would suggest that you do not do this, and spend more time trying to understand the needs of your athlete(s) and the requirements of their sport.

I work closely with an Olympic lifting coach that I allow to use my facility. He has very good success with his athletes in Olympic lifting competition. I’ve had good experience with my sprinters. Our training programs don’t look anything alike, and we agree wholeheartedly on why there are differences and why these differences must exist.

Charlie has a good explanation of why you cannot fall into the trap of the “a good strength program is a good strength program” thinking. I will try to get that video clip up to show you what he had to say.

As he would often comment in his seminars, “The operation was a success, but the patient died.” …meaning, just because you have improvements in the weight room, it doesn’t matter. What are your improvements on the track? Lifting is simply a means to an end - unless you are a competition lifter.

And - a note to all of you - be careful with the personal attacks. I do not want this discussion to degrade - but rather, I would like to see good reasons for why you think a given lifting program is appropriate. Honestly, I still haven’t heard a good reason for why the original program was appropriate for sprinters. “Good for sprinters” is a blanket statement. I need to see the details of the sprinting program before I can even comment on the suitability of a given lifting program and associated plyo program.

It’s good enough for me, I don’t care about running at this time. BTW, my clients are having great success in the weightroom and on the field.

I believe you stated that the above weight lifting program was good for sprinters. I’m just trying to expand the discussion to determine why it would be good for sprinters.

I think passing it off as “it’s good enough for me” doesn’t help us understand your reasoning for its use by sprinters.

I’m not picking on you… I just want to understand your reasoning. I think it’s important for people to support their assertions with good logic and solid examples of where their philosophy has worked so that the rest of the forum members can get a deeper understanding of how to make good choices for their training and their athlete’s training.

What I am worried about is that someone will take your post and simply start using that approach because you said it was good. I would rather they understand why it may or may not be good, and then make an educated decision on whether or not to apply it with their training.

I’m still of the strongly held belief that RB34 (whatever) is just a really lame troll. Someone told me he’s supposedly a strength coach somewhere; if so you think he wouldn’t be quite this damn ignorant.

No problem.

Wow - I must be on your mind - go get laid and get off my jock. Pencil neck, I’m still waiting for you to answer my question?? Btw, does the “mcd” in your name stand for " male crossdresser"?