Does CNS fatigue limit all output capacities ?

We often refer to CNS stress as a phenomenon that applies generally to the whole body. For instance, when the CNS is shot, the intensity of all elements is reduced slightly for some period. This would seem to make sense, if you accept–as you should–that all motor activity originates at the CNS.

Why is it, then, that a mundane track workout–presumable the result of CNS fatigue and not because of muscle fatigue–can be followed by an exceptional lifting session–for instance, a terrific squat or bench?

Would this indicate that the effects of CNS stress are movement-specific?

Maybe there is a difference between limit strength fatigue and RFD/speed of movement fatigue?

Perhaps the limit lifts require less coordination and fatigue (CNS) is slightly less of a factor…

Even though limit exercises require less coordination, the total CNS drive for each effort is greater. RFD movements are a coordinated sequence of SUB-maximal contractions. This includes sprinting.

The other argument might be that sprinting (high coordination) takes place over a longer duration than lifting (limit stuff). But what about short runs like 30s whose duration is only a few seconds? Charlie, is this where we get into the area of total CNS “pulses”? More pulses (albeit of shorter amplitude) in a 30m over short time periods equals greater CNS requirement? Would this explain why lifting is easier on bad track days?

But how about this one? On days when I “have it” on the track, my weights are shit. Even when I end the speed early. Conversly, when I don’t “have it”, I blow them up.