Do you use Skype?

Members

We’re thinking about offering conference services using “Skype”, an internet based telelphone which allows the user to make and receive phone calls using their computers. All that is needed is the free skype software and a microphone or headset.

Here you will be able to participate in live discussions which will be held weekly and in small groups. Sound good?

More @ http://www.skype.com

Thoughts?

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

Sounds great Rupert!

Will this be an invitation only event/idea or a paid for system?

Don’t currently use it but have heard it is very good.

this skype application is fantastic and above all its FREE!

a great opportunity to talk to your friends wherever they are and will save alot on telephone bills

agreat idea rupert! great idea

i had never heard of it but with my girl having moved to copenhagen, we will start using it sometime very soon as the phone bills are adding up. as for the online chats etc…im totaly down.

nighty…who is the girl?

my girl samantha-jane, we started dating in august (kind long story, ill tell you on the phone someday if you ever return my calls…wink). we knew all along that she was leaving as she had taken a job in copenhagen (shes is a petroleum engineer and rides pro mountain bike/cycle cross in her spare time) but things kind of got out of hand on us even though she moved in early oct. we are still kind of together, not really doing the long distance thing too seriously but its serious enough that im going to check out the city and thinking about moving there myself.

skype is great, i use it most to save money on calls to london and china. often sounds clearer than the phone!

Members

To avoid disappointment, obtain and install Skype and Festoon and add me, my skype userID is “Mr.Rupert”.

This will allow me to confirm you are setup and you can test your configuration with a real call. I’d suggest getting on this asap since we’re going to be having several conferances over the next few weeks.

Hope to hear from you all.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

Nice.

You could like Copenhagen.

Like I said, when I was there is was burrrrrrr!! - very cold, but I loved the history of the city and pride in the nation and it’s oppresive history - definitely worth a visit fi even just for the history.

How about an off-topic cities section?

We could write about cities we’ve visted - not just for the whole competition end of things - but even for holidays/vacations?
I’m sure some of us have been to one or two gems of cities that others might love to visit on holdiays?

We’re going to be having a few free online conferances shortly, have you setup yet?

[b]Note: You do not need a webcam for the conferances, you do however require a headset (mic is not good enough and will cause feedback).

You need a headset and these two downloads to get online with us.[/b]

1. Skype: A free download from http://www.skype.com . This tool is the phone componant that you need to speak with us.

2. Festoon: A plugin for video/conferancing. Available for download (be sure to choose the skype version, not the google version). Download it here: http://www.festooninc.com/

Once you have both these programs running, add “Mr.Rupert” via Skype to sign up.

I look forward to hearing from everyone,

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

Works well. Make sure you have at least a DSL line and some Plantronics headsets w/ a mic

Thanks for the members that signed up. As for those still dragging their feet, I’d get setup asap. Charlie and I look forward to talking to everyone…so get ready.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

Rupert,

Should people give you a quick call or PM you?

Either a PM or a call is fine.

Hope to hear from you,

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

Wifey saw your call come thru while I was doing my special endurance (4x4x60m). She was like WTF? your laptop is ringing like a phone :slight_smile:

For all those who dont have the skype thing, its kinda cool.

Just got skype. User name is “wrcortese5” This thing is sweet! Just gotta get the mic headset now.

How good of a headset is needed? The Plantronics is more than I want to spend on something I may not use that much . . .

Any headset that you can attach to your PC will work fine. I have 2 headsets one cost $40 and the other $8. Both work fine, the $40 is simply a USB one.

There are 2 types. USB or phono jack. Phono jack just go in the microphone socket AND speaker socket (where your speakers are usually attached). You can sometimes also attach the speaker socket jack to to the CD rom headphone socket - setup permitting.

TC

You can find Plantronics for 20 bucks but, any pair will do.