Do you think this could work to potentiate speed work?

Weights and Plyo’s-3 times a week. Higher Volume of plyos than normal because no speed is done during these 3 weeks. Everything is measured to chart progress. Stationary bike sprint intervals (30 sprint, 30 slow, etc.) on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday to keep conditioning up. I know it may sound stupid but is it possible that without expending energy sprinting greater strength gains could be possible as well as greater gains in explosive capability during these 3 weeks thus potentiating speed work once it is resumed?

I got this idea because I have noticed that I made greater strength gains during periods when I was injured and not capable of running.

so what happened after that? Were you faster?

When I got back from being injured I was faster.

Then it may work for you again.

Depends on the athlete, if he’s a 140lbs weak tit maybe it will work. Why not alt between strength and power blocks?

3 wk ms block:
Mon:
2x30-40-50 normal
Plyos
squats 5x5
Rdl 3x5

Thur:
4x30 sled/4x30 normal
squats 5x5
db rev lunges 2x5
rdl 3x5

3 wk power block
Mon:
6x60
jump squat 3x5x30%
jump squat 3x5x15%

Thur:
3x3x30
depth jumps 3x5
squats 3x3x80

I think it will. Do you have any suggestions or corrections to the schedule I layed out?

I’m basically opposite of the athlete you described. I’m over 200 pounds and pretty strong.

Then it’s stupid.

Why would it be stupid? It worked for me last year in 12th grade after I came back from injury. And I was stronger then.

This year the ONLY form of speed work I get is running over hurdles, and I don’t do plyometrics, and haven’t lifted weights since August until 3 weeks back. I think I have a LOT to gain as far as strength/explosion. Therefore, I think it would be best for me to get back my strength and explosion AT LEAST to where it was before I try to start sprinting. Would my sprint action not be drastrically different than when I get everything back up to par?

I’m not trying to disregard your opinion or anything. I just thought that maybe some additional information could possibly change whether this idea was stupid or not.

he will never find out if he doesn’t try

My last comment was obvopusly pointless.