Dietrich Buchenholz aka DB Hammer

ISO are performed in the weakest part of the ROM, usually where the limbs are at 90degrees, parallel to the floor or for some exercises for the back muscles in the contracted position. Depends on what the goal for the exercise is.
Well if your stronger in the weakest position then you should have no problems elsewhere in the ROM, and the weakest position is usually in the stretched part of the ROM. Anyway it’s not the only thing you do, but next week I find how my full ROM strength goes in the squat.

When I did the full range squats on my warmups it does feel different - plus the ISO and OI have changed my muscle tonus, feels different.
I haven’t tested anything yet, my main goal is to restore my frictional/elastic balance and get stronger, everthing will fall into place after that.

I haven’t been doing a whole lot of ISO work on upperbody, just one session so far on some exercises and so far only one session of OI. Give me another month first :slight_smile:
But ISO work on cuff exercises in the contracted position have certainly boosted strength a lot, seem to gain 3 reps on the full ROM after each session of 2x30sec ISO holds…

Oh guys you can change the font size in the menu somewhere…

Delldell-

Cool. Thanks.

Bri

CCJ-
did you ever dothe neuro tests?
What frequency:fatigue ratios are you using? It seems pretty fast to already be on a fatigue cycle.

No, but I know I’m pretty fast, my stride rate in sprints is pretty rapid :slight_smile:
I have a naturally fast CNS - well fast enough for my needs.

4:1 for lower

I’ve already done 5 sessions on lower body, 4th week now.

damn, time flies.
I think I should probably do some tests even though I’m pretty sure I’m rate dominant. I never do bench press though. I can do that vertical test for lower body, but not sure what to do for upper body?
6:2 dissappeared…

Unless your boxer I wouldn’t worry about it :slight_smile:

Time waits for no man!!

Well if I’m going to do his methods for upper body, I should at least try to fix my weaknesses.

Any tests other than the bench press throw and 1RM? I do military press and DB incline. Maybe I could use those?

Don’t know, you should be able to tell where your weakness is by how you lift, video yourself with 1RMs and heavier 3-5 reps to failure. Quite easy to tell if your grinder or a hit and miss rapid lifter. Or somewhere in between.

Well on presses, I don’t think it’s really duration, but I can battle a little just because my triceps/lockout strength is way, way stronger than the initial ROM.
On pretty much everything else I bonk…all or nothing.

I’m not kidding - this one was in the shape of a chicken and you turned it around on it’s base to set the time.
:smiley:

if any of you really understood the answer to the sprinting question on inno-sport.com, aside from not mixing rate and duration work, please enlighten us all.ColJ? KellyB? :confused:

That was some answer to my question on inno-sport. What i have picked up from it is to not mix rate work and duration work, 1) because the 2 cannot be developed optimally together and are better trained in separte sessions, 2) if you are deficient in an area i.e. rate deficient then you are hampering your rate devlopment by doing duration work because your body will continue to develop the duration work at the cost of rate development which is a priority.

Also he has addressed the issue that was discussed regarding running pr’s in training. He states that when a pr is run the drop off will occur much faster in terms of the No. of runs which goes along with the idea that volume should be reduced following a pr by regulating it automatically (AREG obviously).

The fatigue for a days training is cumulative, so a 3% drop at the track and a 3% drop in the gym would equal 6% drop. So if you ran a pr in training you would want practically no drop off at the track. In the gym later you start the session with the drop off you measured at the track. So if you wanted to use a 6% drop off and a 4 day frequency if you dropped off 1% at the tarck then you start the gym session at 1% drop and would conduct the session itself to 5% (total 6%).

From what i understand his suggestion for a sprinter is to use 2 development days.

Day 1 - Technical - Sprint work (relevant to the event so for me that would be some form of special endurance for the 400m)

Dau 2 - Functional - work on your deficient areas that you NEED to improve function to help in your event (so for me that would be max v, and neuro rate work)

so you would do day 1 to desired drop off (personal preferance) then day 2 etc… Drop off should be selected through trial to find what works for you. Over time you should raise your work capacity (No. of sets you can do before drop off) so you can continue to make progression over the long term.

I read all the articles on the inno-sport site and I had a question about working up to the initial (i think thats what it was refered to). For example in the basic program you outlined, which i put below, do you work up to the weights in a circuit or do you pre-determine what the initial poundages will be? I want to give the basic program a try before I move into the more advanced techniques, but I also want to make sure I’m do this right.

Session A
Bench Press x 3 reps
Chest Supported Row x 3 reps
Decline Dumbell Tricep Extension x 6-8 reps
Shrug x 20 reps
Curl x 6-8 reps

You work up to the weights in a circuit as part of your warm-ups and gradually add the weight. You don’t have to use those exact reps just use that repetition chart for whatever rep range you’re working in.

RE: the sprinting question. Don’t forget that each session does involve the same motor units so you can’t do a technical session to full drop-off and then the next day do a functional session - unless you’re factorizing your work. Look at what DB says here:

“So, to get you up and running, I would first recommend that you take on a basic approach to sprint development- functional and technical days. This will set your “deficiency” work on one day and your “sprint” work on another day. This will also spread your sprint work 6-10 days apart, even though your “deficiency” work may be included (to some degree) in each session.”

A technical session could involve rate and magnitude work
A functional session could involve magnitude and duration work

Examples of technical work:
Sprint Starts- (rate)
Flying Runs- (rate)
low intensity plyos (rate)
Drop Jumps and depth jumps- (magnitude)
Reactive Squats- (magnitude)
O-lifts - (magnitude)

Examples of functional work-
Traditional training >70% (PIM down and up) -(duration)
OI methods (duration)
Isometrics (duration)
Reactive lifts (magnitude)
High intensity plyos (magnitude)

Kelly, i did realise that you had your recovery days between day 1 and day 2, i just re-read my post and it does read wrong, never mind.

Anyway is the functional session limited to magnitude and duration? I would understand functional to include any work to improve performance including rate.

My thinking was to plan sessions something like: (for 400mH)

Day 1-Technical (with some defficiency work)*

Special Endurance - 2-3 full recovery sprints 200-450m (Rate)
*Sprint Starts - 20-40m - (Rate)
Low intensity Plyo’s (Rate)
Reactive lifts (magnitude)

Day 2 - Functional Work

Flyin sprints (Rate)
Starts (Rate)
High intensity plyos (magnitude)
Oly Lifts (magnitude)

No duration work as i would class myself duration dominant from experience. Thoughts?

Alan.

Anyway is the functional session limited to magnitude and duration? I would understand functional to include any work to improve performance including rate

Alan you’re right, the functional session would include anything that would indirectly build up what is needed to sprint fast - including rate. But if you include rate in this session then you would have to eliminate duration work and vice versa. So I believe your functional session can include:
rate alone
duration alone
magnitude alone
magnitude + rate
magnitude + duration

You could also factorize your sprint work throughout the scale but that is a little more complicated.

You could go sequential and it could be something like this.

Day 1- rate + magnitude (technical)
Day 5- magnitude + duration (functional)

Or you could factorize aspects of the sprint work, providing your work capacity allows it. You would just disperse the volume of a certain aspect of the sprints throughout the frequency scale so it looks something like this.

Day1- magnitude to 6% drop off + rate (technical)
Day 2- rate (technical)
Day 3- rate (technical)
Day 4- rate (technical)
Day 5- new cycle starts/ magnitude to 6% drop off + duration to 6% drop-off
Day 5- rate (technical)
Day 6- rate (technical)
Day 7- rate (technical)
Day 8- rate (technical)
Day 9- rate (technical)
Day 10- start cycle over again

The total volume would remain the same as sequential, but would be more dispersed. Of course that example is i’m sure far from perfect but it should give you an idea. Before considering that though you need to look at your work capacity factors and see what they look like.

“How reliably does your training system give you one-half to a full tenth off your best sprinting performances virtually week in and week out?”

Well guys? :stuck_out_tongue:

So, if I start with 15 sec, I should be ready to set a new world record just in time for the World Champs next year! Sounds great!
OH yea, just remembered. I live in Canada, and if the trials are a month earlier I won’t qualify for the team.
DAMN! Too bad!

Hahahahaha.

Yeah, I mean with DBs expertise coming into North America I truly believe that in the next few years we’ll be able to see someone break the barrier we never thought possible (3 seconds). And not only that he’ll just be reaching top speed then, which he’ll of course be able to hold for 9+ seconds and break the 12s 400m barrier effectively killing two birds with one stone.

I mean, after all DBs methods are at least twelve times as effective than the system I’m currently on so if during my last strength cycle I put eighty pounds on my squat I should be able to put 960 on during the next cycle. Whoa, that’s so cool!