Desire & Inspiration

Anyone want to take a crack at defining the place of Desire and also Inspiration in the pecking order of importance in the motivation sequence/process?

Never one to sit back (often to my own detriment :o ) I’ll have a go…please be gentle with me :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Work ethic
  2. Desire
  3. Teachibility
  4. Talent
  5. Inspiration

NOTE IMHO this is a career snapshot as each changes over time, all are inter related and very close.

I like the other attributes you’ve laid out. It seems that the order is highly individual though.

You might have some kid who was at Seoul and watched BJ win his race in goosebumpilizing fashion and says, “I want to do that someday.” This kid could be a short, stubby limbed, obese individual. But they don’t care because they are so inspired by the awesomeness of the human body’s potential. So nothing is going to get in their way of putting everything they’ve got into achieving this desire. Their talent is most likely their weakest attribute while inspiration started it all.

Then there is someone like Manute Bol. At 7’7" and living in the Sudan he gets recruited to play basketball despite limited playing experience (if not any). So, whether being a pro basketball player is his dream or not, he has a chance to make life better for himself, family, and his people. Just for the fact he is 7’7", he goes on to become the NBA all-time leader in blocks per minute. Talent is his greatest attribute.

This ties in with people who just stick with what they are naturally best at. Some people are 6’6 and can jump and they get known for playing basketball. Some guys are 300 pounds+ and their talent is being big and they play lineman in football. Most people do not dislike attention and respect for their craft.

Then you just have the “winners”. Some people are just born wanting to be the best and accepting nothing less. There was no particular event that spawned their goals and there weren’t any circumstances that force them in any direction. These alpha-humans just have assassin like mind sets. And so it can be argued that desire comes before inspiration with these types, opposite to the first example.

And then you have athletes whose parents force them into some sport. Their parents breathe down their child’s neck and control their lives. So this athlete now has a great “work ethic” (although forced) yet desire/inspiration may not be there. And when there is no desire, arguably the teachability is lessened. Though, over time, the athlete might see that they are now pretty accomplished in their craft, and they now like it.