Depth Jumps

I have read that you can do depth jumps
to ways: jump straight IMMEDIATELY upon hitting the ground

or Jump forward IMMEDIATELY upon hitting the ground.

But, i have noticed doing it the forward
way that ground contact time is shorter(for me it is).

So, is the forward jump for decreasing ground contact time and the straight jump for Aceleration.

Remember that all plyometrics are general to sprinting, so slight variations in how a depth jump is performed is really a marginal issue. Try to minimize ground contact. That’s the most important factor.

I think Herb is being overly cautious, but he does raise a good point. Most people start doing depth jumps before they’re ready. Again, the key is minimizing ground contact. Start with a low height and go from there. If you’re not getting off the ground quickly, switch to an easier drill.

It is better to NOT do depth jumps at all. The ground contact time is still too long regardless of which way you do them.

Herb,

I don’t agree. Cerrtainly depth jumps don’t replace sprinting, but they are another method to develop strength, especially reactive strength. The key is to keep the box heights low (<18") and try to shorten the GCT as much as possible. Even so, since the GCT for depth jumps is still higher than at the GCT for a full-s[eed sprint, they are probably more helpful for the acceleration phase.

xlr8

Originally posted by Herb
It is better to NOT do depth jumps at all. The ground contact time is still too long regardless of which way you do them.

The specificity debate again?

I think it depends on the athlete. Do they have a reactive strength reserve sufficiently developed to the level of their other qualities?

Many do, many don’t. Depth jumps would have to be a great way of developing this ability though its not something one would just jump into (pardon the pun).

how about different variations of rope jumps, i do this to aide in decreasing gct