Decrease Your 40 Yard Dash Time

Foot close to the line- long first step?? Sounds like advice you can use - just do the opposite and you’ll be fine!
Sounds right for the hand.

I didn’t know they allowed such talk where you’re from!!

As they used to say in my day: “No shit Mickey Mouse!!”
Do these guys even try this stuff out??

maybe u wasnt comfortable with the close stance and should have gave it more time, i know athletes who hate being far off the line and run slow when they do so.

If your front foot is ahead of your hip, the only place you can go is straight up! You have to roll forward before you can drive and that takes time. There’s no debate here!!
Too far back is another issue.
Wherever you start from, a long first step is a disaster.
What timing method is being used??
If it’s hand timed and the guy can start rolling forward before the timer sees him, he might be able to get his hip ahead of the foot before the clock starts- or maybe the touch pad starts when the foot comes off.
Otherwise, I’m calling bullshit.

thats where the coral method and putting the lead hand in front of the body to est a good forward lean. the praisi combine dvd cover it all.

Well good luck then! Unless you can get away with a rolling start, it’s a problem. Just hope I’m not the guy timing.

lol, thanks for the good wishing. i have use both close and 1-2 shoe length behind line and have ran fast with both, like my uncle say if you are fast ur fast no matter what (surface, shoes etc).

One other point about the hand…

Since the 40 is timed from first movement, putting your hand way up in the air and swinging it forward is like a big red flashing light to let the timers know when to start the clock. If you keep it closer to your hip, you may get it moving forward a bit before the timers notice and post a slightly better time.

Note that this falls under the category of working the system since you are posting a faster time without actually running any faster.

I agree with Charlie about the stance issue here (as always…lol). Here a horror story for you. I bought Defrancos VHS for combine prep a month before I went to a combine in Baltimore. Up to that point I had Pred consistently between 4.50-4.60 every single workout that I tested at.

I started using DeFrancos start techniques and lo and behold I ran 4.71 official at the combine. I was so upset the entire rest of the combine. I should have never altered my technique so close to my combine. Surprisingly, thats exactly what DeFranco recommends!

Save your money and go train with Charlie for a week the month prior.

dude sorry to tell you, u dont run a legit 4.50 if ur 100m times are what u been telling us. i bet u were one of those maurice clarett type of guys, who ran a bad 40yd - then just said F_ _ _K it and did shitty on everything else. even if u run a bad 40yd u have to move on and dominant the other drills.

Exactly, but I used this stance for over a year and it never felt right. My 40 never went down at all, stagnated in the 4.56-4.62 range. I change my stance and felt much faster out of the gate, what do you know a much faster time as well.

The close stance gave me a horrible start; just wasn’t for me! When I changed my stance I just tried to get into something that was comfortable and just felt “right” to me.

i also found out that most track guys dont feel comfortable with the close stance, but fb guys do.

Well, you can’t assume all football players would like that. I am a football player also, but didn’t find the close stance comfortable. I guess it’s just all about what you like best?

lol, do u run track?? not sure if u ever been to the nfl combine or watch it but 98% of the guys use the close stance even the so call track guys like mike huff and tye hill both who are 10.5<.

I did run track yes sprint/relays. My eligibilty is up here in the JC system, probably won’t run after I leave here. More interested in football. Yes, I’ve seen the footage here and there. That’s great that stance can work for them. I just don’t know why it’s such a big deal that just because a few people don’t use it, it’s wrong?

I wouldn’t call my stance close, I wouldn’t call it a normal track stance either. I modified it a bit to suit how I felt was best and worked for me.

well at the combine they make you put ur foot 6in behind the line, bc they said players were cheating by getting close to the line, you also have to hold ur stance for 3sec before leaving.

What works best works best. Doesn’t matter if you’re FB or not.

Find a stance that works- hopefully you won’t quit on the rest of the combine and rob a liquer store or something

im pretty sure he did, i seen it too many times, where guys dont run as fast as they think and just give up.