Decrease Your 40 Yard Dash Time

ahh charlie when are we going to get to hear how you feel about other coaches?? specifics?? lol

Are you familier with the westside style of training?

I didn’t know he had problem expressing his opinion… :stuck_out_tongue:

I know Westside and don’t have a problem with it in the context of lifting though I’d urge caution when adapting it wholesale into other sports.

lol. spoke to barry ross couple months ago for about 10hrs in a couple days and boy he love cf training system.

why? i think it could work good with team sports but not soo great with track athlete esp if the speed vol is high 500-700m.

That’s where your own judgement comes in. you take from it what, and how much you need. That’s my point.

He had a lot of posts here in the archives. Wish he’d come back on as he shakes things up!

i agree 100%…

hes a diff cat, but a kool/nice cat with diff ideas. lol

It would be good, for sure! I guess he’s busy with Dr. Yessis at the moment…

naw, thats not it.

Charlie, maybe you have posted this somewhere but I’d be interested in your views on starting positions for 40y. Some of the gurus reccomend getting the front foot very close to the line-much closer than 1 1/2 to 2 footlengths from the line. This goes counter to what I would think would be ideal.

One other cue they give is to intentionally make the first step as long as possible-I believe I’m describing the cue properly. Is that best? Sure does not seem so.

I believe you told me personally to not cock the lead arm way behind the hip as some do but rather to place it about mid way. Not all the way back but also not far forward. I guess the point was to allow an approximately optimal distance from which to flick the lead hand forward. Is that right?

they say not to make the first step super but not small either. 5-7 strides for the first 10yds

DeFranco for one(who’s strength programs I do like) says on the first step to “cover as much ground as possible.” In his writings on speed he seems to focus very much on stride length.

I’ve tried different stances for the 40 and used to mainly use the one DeFranco has suggested (keeping the front foot very close to the line, back foot just behind the hell of the front foot). I felt this way was not allowing me to push off and I was leaning WAY too far forward.

This summer I pb’d with a 4.47 by just using a “normal” track stance that was comfortable for me. I felt much better with this. Of course this is just my experience, some may like a closer stance.

what do u guys think about the coil method, where u coil yourself back into the stance

I must be getting old … I always thought the coil was a form of contraception

There are a few things here that need to be recognised …

• I can take anyone test them using tests I designed and tell them they are ‘imbalanced’

• In a short period of time I can train anyone to be much stronger … as Power used to post getting people strong is easy. And by getting someone strong of course their 40 time will come down.

• The problem arises where the guy has to play a game or God forbid - even run twice! Then they have problems trying to adapt to the specifics of the actions

• If you’ve been taken out of the weight room for 6 weeks or more with no running and then have to walk out on a field and go at 100% sprint … what do think will happen - NO amount of pure strength work will produce top sprinters.

• If that was the case - would Marion, Ben, Maurice, Tim et al not simply live in the Gym?

• Remember to look critically at the ‘Guru’s’ and where their money comes from … if they are constantly writing articles and spending time travelling to spread the word - How much time have they to train real athletes?
    I often read T-mag and wonder … If had that much time to write I’d be hard-pressed to train anyone! So bear that in mind.

• Lets also be honest here … it all comes down to performance and if you have guys who are injured or not fit to play when the season comes around … but ran a great 40 time … well what difference does that make? In fact many top team players perform terribly in fitness or speed tests - but on the court, field or course were faster and stronger IN PLAY.

One thing I really learned from Charlie is that you gotta look at the picture as a whole and taking elements of one system and another do not work.

This is where the various ‘Guru’ or lifting systems can work … if they are used on their own for the one reason - but in most cases they cannot be pick ‘n’ mixed.

Once you change a holistic program you change it completly as all the elements are relative and reliant.

Also remember that variety is NOT ALWAYS a good thing and that by introducing change to a program for the sake of change you are in fact challenging the body - but is that what you require?

Of cousre if you have the East German tables … well then you have all the data you need …

Anyone can test an athlete and find something to improve … and when you can’t (or don’t want to) use the magic words and tell them they’re ‘structurally imbalanced’ … like its a disease.

Then, as they pull out the cheque book, work out the sets and reps …