Daily Amount Of Protein for sprinters?

How many grams of protein does a sprinter need daily?

as far as i can remember i heard that the body can only absorb 25g of protein per meal.

suggestions or can anyone correct me

U need 0.75-1g for every 1lb daily of body weight. So for example, if ur 180lbs then u need about 130-180g of protein daily

But as X-Man said, much important as the daily amount is the amount per meal. So, if you need more than 150g per day, you should take protein at least 5x a day.

If someone can find the study that proves the body can only absorb 25g or the more popular 30g at one meal I’d be totally appreciative. I’ve heard this myth for years but never seen it documented by anyone with any credentials. Kinda like the whole “weight training stunts your growth thing” I heard while I was a kid growing up.

I’d recommend 1g /pound or at the least 1g/ per pound of lean body mass. I’m 215 right now and I’m pretty slack at the moment. I’m probably only getting 150g-170g per day. Most of that 60% comes from drinks. The other 40% comes from real chewable food.

Depends on how often you train, volume of training, weight training, height, weight etc etc you need to be more specific with your requirements.

Nobody needs more than RDA for protein: 0.8 g protein per 2.2 lbs. bodyweight - per day.

Protein supplements aren’t necessary if your diet reaches the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) for protein. Nobody needs more
protein than that for weight-lifting workouts.

Carmen Castanada Sceppa, M.D., Ph.D. is a scientist at Tufts University School of Medicine, at the Jean Mayer USDA (United States Department of Agriculture)/Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging. She does research on protein nutrition.

According to Carmen Castanada Sceppa, the RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) is adequate for the needs of performing resistance exercises (weight-lifting). The RDA for protein is: 0.8 grams of protein per 1 kilogram (2.2 lbs.) of bodyweight per day. Her view on protein comes from the results of tests done on subjects in her laboratory. She says that when you build up muscle (through
exercise) protein (in the body) is used more efficiently.
In fact, when people use too much protein (more than 2.0 grams of protein per 1 kilogram of bodyweight per day - or more than 2.0
grams of protein per 2.2 lbs. of bodyweight per day), Carmen Castanada Sceppa says the excess protein can stress the kidneys through over-stimulation.

Furthermore, very high amounts of protein are associated with increased loss of calcium through urine. Thus, because of calcium loss, there may be a reduction of bone turn-over (in the body). Potentially, this increases the risk of osteoporosis. (Admittedly, the risk of calcium loss is described with the use of the
words “maybe” and “potential.”)

Finally, very high levels of protein intake also increase the need for larger amounts of vitamin B6 - since vitamin B6 is needed for protein to be metabolized (and be utilized) in the body.
But Carmen Castanada Sceppa says, “athletes performing weight bearing type of exercises don’t need extra protein and, therefore, won’t need to take calcium of B vitamin supplements, provided that they eat a well balanced diet. Indeed, weight-bearing exercise, in itself, helps prevent bone loss.”

According to her, the RDA’s minimum requirement is adequate for 97.5% of Americans. RDA tests on protein requirements were done on healthy people.

“Growing children, pregnant and lactating women, the elderly, and anyone undergoing severe stress (trauma, hospitalization surgery),
disease or disability need[s] more protein…” are among the exceptions of hose who need more than the RDA’s minimum daily requirement for protein. Endurance athletes - another exception - need only slightly more than the RDA’s minimum daily requirement for protein (about 1.0 to 1.2 grams of protein per 1 kilogram of bodyweight - or about 1.0 to 1.2 grams of protein per 2.2 lbs. of bodyweight per day.)

Again, weight-lifting exercise requires only the RDA minimum daily requirement for protein.

the Doctor will see you know/How Much Protein Do You Need?: Robert
M. Russell, M.D., and Carmen Castanada Sceppa, M.D., Ph.D.

weight-bearing exercise

-John Helmeke
Le Sueur, Minnesota, U.S.A.

Int J Sport Nutr. 1998 Dec;8(4):426-47.

Effects of exercise on dietary protein requirements.

Lemon PW.

Faculties of Health Sciences and Medicine, 3M Centre, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada N6A 3K7.

This paper reviews the factors (exercise intensity, carbohydrate availability, exercise type, energy balance, gender, exercise training, age, and timing of nutrient intake or subsequent exercise sessions) thought to influence protein need. Although there remains
some debate, recent evidence suggests that dietary protein need increases with rigorous physical exercise. Those involved in strength
training might need to consume as much as 1.6 to 1.7 g protein x kg(-1) x day(-1) (approximately twice the current RDA) while those undergoing endurance training might need about 1.2 to 1.6 g x kg(-1) x day(-1) (approximately 1.5 times the current RDA). Future longitudinal studies are needed to confirm these recommendations and asses whether these protein intakes can enhance exercise performance.
Despite the frequently expressed concern about adverse effects of high protein intake, there is no evidence that protein intakes in the
range suggested will have adverse effects in healthy individuals.

The last two posts are from the “SuperTraining” forum.

I’m not sure if it is a question of HOW MUCH protein rather than HOW QUICKLY protein.

E.g. you want the amino acids in your system immediately following hard exercise to accelerate the regeration process. This is where supplementation becomes really useful because of the speed of absorbtion is very high with WPI and pure aminos.

First of all, there ought to be a difference in absorption depending on need (like after heavy training). Secondly, how does one define ‘per meal’ in conjunction with time, since different sources of protein influence the rate of absorption/digestion; casein and a big stake taking longer to digest than some other products – surely this has to affect the rate/amount of absorption?.

I find personal experience to be a better guide than any RDA

Timing is very important, too!
The reason I posted what I did was because the two posts contradict each other…
I might come back with more on this…

Why do they keep using “per lb. (or kg) of bodyweight”? Shouldn’t it be based on Lean Body Mass?

Her findings were valid for 97.5% of the population. The other 2.5% are elite athletes.



i am not 100% but I am sure it is 35-37g a meal.

The body absorbs on average 92% (78-97% depending on source) of dietary protein. Then it uses the amount needed at the moment and the rest is stored as fat.

Like Plook said this myth has been around for a long time.

I don’t understand how someone can say absolutely that the human body can only absorb so much at one sitting. Is this hypothetical person male or female? 150lbs or 200lbs? Active or inactive?

Like JohnG109 said way too many factors need to be taken into account to give an accurate answer.

And like lorien said listen to your body!

well, from experience protein (especialy when acompanied by fat) is very satiating.

much more so than huge amount of vegies/fruits, so if your stomach is endless large amounts of protein can help with that…

I’m sceptical of the high protein recommendations. I don’t notice extra gains with extra protein myself and have noticed fast gains with no supplementation. I’ve seen it mentioned on the net (by sports nutritionists) and in sports nutrition books that athletes may actually need less protein.

The IOC put out a article on nutrition a year or so ago and in that they stated “Some sports scientists have suggested that endurance and resistance training exercise may increase daily protein needs up to a maximum of 1.2 - 1.6 g per Kg of BW, compared to the reccomended intake of .8 g per Kg of BW for a sedentary person.”

They go on to state that research is unclear if the additional intake is nessacary or not. They never make a definative statement, however they do not dispute the reccomendation of 1.2 -1.6 per Kg BW.

IMO bioavalability and timing would be more critical than total amount.

No, more;)