Contrast Training Revisted.

I would like to know how many of you use contrast training in your program.
I would also like to know what you do as far as contrast training, why you are doing what you are doing and the benefits you feel you achieve from what you are doing.

As far as track contrast training there is one session off the top of my head we do that I can think of:

*4x30 Sled pulls each rep. followed by 1x30 without the sled
full recovery between reps.

We do this in special prep and I feel it involves some type of trickery to the CNS. Perhaps someone could explain the mechanism of this session more clearly?

As far as contrast training in the weight room there are 2 sessions I can think of that we do:

*4sx3r Backsquats @90% each set followed by 5 static squat jump with a 2-3 second pause in the squat position w/arms out in front

*4sx3r Powersnatch @70% each set followed by 3 standing long jumps for distance

Again, would anyone like to comment on those sessions and share what they do?

Once and a while I have my athletes do some light plyo tyep jumps at the end of their weight session as per Al Vermeil. That is about all the contrast training I do. I am not a fan of mixing variables. I am not smart enough I guess.

most contrast training, if it is to be effective, needs to be antagonistic in nature. otherwise, recovery is an issue. but if there is smart progression for the athlete and adaptation can take place, can there be benefits to grouping the same muscle groups, but varying the speed (say doing squats, followed with vertical jumps)?

As far as short term performance (post 12-20 days), we’ve experienced success with a microcycle that included 2 sessions consisting of: shuttle warmup (various exercises), 5-10m contrast sprints (The Trainer), double/single leg hops (plyo boxes/hurdles), upper body lifts (similar to that peformed by A. Felix '02-03) followed by resisted/non-resisted block work (Bullet Belt).

A fast split run then precedes medium intensity lower body strength activity.