Complex training

How many of you guys have used complex training in the past and what have been your experiences with it?

I define complex training as doing weights mixed with jumps/throws. I use it alot now and I think it is great.

We would do something like:
hang cleans 6x2 with 1x3 jumps in place after each set

Box squat 6x2 50% with 1x2 box jumps after each set

Reverse hypers 3x10 with bounding x5 steps after each set

I think it is good not only for CNS potentiation (you will often jump better after an explosive lift than if you just did jumps by themselves) but it also allows you to do jumps and weights in the same workout.  Combining these jumps and weights in a session allows for more overall rest time within a week.

If you are doing it in the proper manner, you will see results quickly!  Take a look at the following article (I think the study at the beginning is also in Supertraining).

http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=viewarticle&articleID=52

You will see that complex training has its place.  It was most effective over 12 weeks.  If you have the liberty of training someone year round, other methods may be better overall but I certainly think complex training can have a place in any program.

We have toyed around with complex training as well. We have done things during sessions such as 6x3 squats with 3 static vertical jumps after each set. We have also done 8x2 snatch with 2 SLJ’s after each set.
Did it work… I do not know.
What are your guys thoughts on actualy weight load % when do complex training and how can this type of work be periodized instead of just simply adding it to make the workouts looks “fancy”.

sometimes complex training can add in training density…then can be removed for to increase the intensity and or peaking effect. Complex is great for building volume without the effects of fiber breakdown.

Can you summarize a sample mico/mesocyle to help illustate the idea?

I think that I remember Chris T writing something of this in CAD (canadian assending - descending) complex. It was an offshoot of the Bulgarian complex. I believe that he mentioned that complex training would be most useful in the accumulation period of training. If someone can provide the link that would be beneficial here.

Interesting, I’ve been thinking about such a thing in similar CNS components. I think sprinting and weightlifting are two such things and when an injury occurs on the track a person has had that CNS component removed; however, since one can no longer sprint due to injury the lifting in the gym should produce some new 1RM’s due to supercompensation. The wt work is still done when an injury occurs for maintenance of the CNS but the CNS now can be focused entirely on the wt work! I think complex training can work in a similar fashion as you stated where you remove the jumps and a person should see an increase in their 1RM in all exercises and vice-versa (i.e. remove the wt work and one should see an increase in jumping potential).

I firmly believe that this is one way to get over a wt room or track plateu!

I have stopped sprinting this past month (due to injury) and I feel like my wt room strength has shot up! I believe CF mentions this about BJ and his record performance of 9.79 and how through an injury BJ was able to focus his CNS in the wt room. One can argue that the injury was a blessing in disguise in that the stronger BJ got in the wt room the faster he got on the track! Perhaps this is due to taking a break from the track and working on someother fast-twitch CNS component? Would Ben have been faster had he not gotten injured?

i am improving in the weightroom now that i stopped track(hip strain injury) but what i would really like to know is when to start the squats, seeing as my hip flexor is in pain how would i strengthen hte lower part without stressing it so much. Or just let it inevitably heal and work on my upper body and core which is what im doing.

That’s tough one. Without knowing exactly how squats will effect you it’s hard to say. I would say that if you can do the squat without any pain whatsoever then your probably fine but if there’s even the slightest pain you should quit doing the exercise. Perhaps we can get someone with a little more expertise in this field to chime in or at least somebody who has had a similar injury.

Just out of curiousity how did you injure your hip flexor and at what stage of the 100? What does your program look like and did you warmup effectively?

What’s that??

it was gradual injury through track practice, then i felt it hurt one day on doing starts, i could still run the pain was makingit uncomfortable so im settleing down and now doing any lower body. It has gotten worse so im stopping. i aggravate it greatly doing decline situps.

I think he meant works the fast fibers and MU’s, and is CNS intensive.

CNS intensive? Right… :rolleyes:

I was just teasing him… :o

That is correct. I was just trying to describe everything you said in three words.