Coaching for older / masters athletes in Toronto?

Hello all,

Does anyone know where I can join a track club and get coached by someone, even though I am 33 years old and will never be very fast? I would simply like to run in some masters or open events eventually, but just for my own personal bests, I will probably never get very quick.

I am going to be coaching track at the school I work at, and nothing is worse than a coach who has no clue what they’re talking about, and can’t demonstrate the various movements they are teaching.

I live in the east end. Any help or tips here would be greatly appreciated.

Tyrone

Hey
If your going to coach, try some of the DVD’s sold here?
Gpp - outlines drills and med ball work, and why you should do a Gpp
Vancourver - outlines how to set up a Spp program
Have you got the CFTS training manual? I think its a download?

Even if you do find some place to train, its a good idea if your going to coach to know what your being coached. The Dvd’s are full of useful info that has many practical examples and the theory behind them.
You could also contemplate doing a strength and conditioning course? I did one and the info they taught does not confict with the CFTS at all, the text book comes from the NSCA, http://www.nsca-lift.org/

Really, how hard it the nsca test. Could I pass it without buying the study materials.

Thanks bold you have been very helpful lately.

-DS

Possibly. It’s not too tough (cscs). That being said I met a few people who thought it was very hard and had to take it several times. I would buy one of their practice tests and see how that goes before signing up for the real test.

IMO NSCA is just a money machine. Having the cert doesn’t prove anything. It just looks nice to some employers or clients.

I have done my Cert 3 and 4, involving 6 modules each. They involve both assignment writing and exams. I didnt do it directly through NSCA, because im in Australia, but a lot of my material was from the NSCA. (Parent company so to speak)
You need to study, as certain Lingo needs to be understood, especially for exams - however that dont mean your really learning anything new in regards to training planning etc, although you still will, terminology and reactions and why things work, how they work, and why doing this produces such and such a result you will learn. If you know how to structure a CFTS from scratch without Referencing you will be fine, it will however fill in more Scientific backbone material.

Having Qualifications will certainly help you obtain “Paying” clients. NO matter how good you are, if you dont have Qualifications, getting Insurance, Paying clients or That dream job is these days just about out of the question.
You have to reference books, web sites etc, i used this web site, and charlies book, dvds and seminar, all with good results, never anything negative.

Thanks for your input, all. I have already purchased CFTS, I have had the NSCA book for a couple of years, but I don’t have the GPP DVD.

I already have a decent grasp of some of the theory. I just need someone to help me do it! I don’t need any more theory. I need a coach to teach me how to run.

Does anyone know where I should go in the Toronto area as a 33 year old with minimal talent?

T

Hello everyone,

I signed up for the all-comers meet on January 21st at York U. I’m running in the 60 metres. Unfortunately I have no idea how to run the 60 metres, so I have about 3 months to figure it out.

Can someone please recommend somewhere I can go in Toronto to get training? Does anyone here know someone they can recommend?

T

I recommend Charlie Francis