CNS Recovery

Alright I know the CNS takes much longer to recover than muscles. I want to know though, what if one stimulates the CNS, but doesnt blast it, will they still get the same effects? Essentially it would increase recovery as it is not fatigued as greatly. IE
Day 1-Sprint and Lift
4-5x acceleration sprints(20m-60m)
3x4xplyo
3x1xPowerclean
3x1xBench Press
3x1xDeadlift or squat
3x1xWeighted Pull/Chin Up

Day 2-Tempo

etc

Would this work? As far as weightroom, 9 reps per week heavy for each lift, and 36 reps for plyometrics each week. As well track work would have a ceiling of 300m a session with full recovery. Weight room session is still short.

What is heavy? How is your work capacity? How well does performance stay high before a significant drop off in the weights? If you are just going for stimulating the nervous system, you’ll do that on the track. I guess I’m not following what you are looking for with this setup. Are you going through maintenance weights right now? Sorry for all the questions. Just need some cloud clearing.

1. Heavy is in the 90% range

2. I am not talking about mine, which is just fine, but as a general template, lets assume this person has the work capacity and body type needed to lift

3. A traditional 3-1-3 approach, unloading every 3 weeks

4. I mean as far as max strength is concerned with the weight room and track, Reactivity, RFD, and expressions of max strength are different neural processes

5. No, just an idea, doing very little, but at a high intensity, yet not enough to trash your nervous system, but enough to stimulate it fully.

The problem with this scenario is that you are so far to the “left” (Power) in training that you’ll plateau. you must leave enough variability to move forward over the longer term. Adjustment can be subtle but they should be there.

of course it can be adjusted based on phase, but i find it easiest to make a quick general look for an accelleration and max strength. Question however Charlie. How would you change it to keep in accordance with my idea? I mean as far as phases go? Stretch out the accelleration distances? Change percentages to speed percentages for weight room work(wouldnt this allow for flying runs and greater ability to focus on max V on the track)? Less intense plyo’s with more velocity? Thanks again and eager to learn.

I’m confused:
Define"
1: less intense plyos with more velocity
2: change percentages for speed percentages for weight room work. Do you mean a conversion phase (which I don’t use)?
Keep in mind that lengthening the accel distances within the 60m guideline is intensification in most cases. Volumization would prob require more reps over shorter distances.
Who are the athletes?

1. I am pretty sure I meant less intense plyo’s with more Max V work(ie box jumps, tuck jumps, light bounds on grass, over depth jumps, altitude landings, standing triple jumps, standing long jumps, etc…)

2. You said with the max lifting it is conflicting with max V work. So i asked if one would use lighter weight room percentages in order to allow for max V work, ie 50-70% range weights while in a max V phase…And no I don’t mean a conversion phase, I meant again back to what I say earlier, that you said max lifting is conflicting with max V work.

3. I suppose sprinters, short distances(100m and 55/60m)…no one in mind really, just a thought.

So:
1: The less intense plyos allows for enhanced speed work.

2: I meant the shift from a tough pursuit of greater strength in the Max Strength Phase to the maintenance of as much of it as possible with as few reps as will do the job in the Maintenance Phase, freeing up physical and CNS resources for the optimization of the other qualities of speed/explosive power, as in #1.

Sounds reasonable. When the new E-material is released, you’ll see a detailed presentation on the Short-to-Long approach although the vols and the methods for controlling sprint velocities will expand the options you have in this schedule now and the time over which optimization can continue. Stay tuned.

Thank you Charlie, cant wait for the next book