Clyde Harts programme

http://www.usatf.org/groups/Coaches/library/2007/Sprint%20Training/Clyde_Hart3.pdf

This article from Clyde Hart shows a sample programme (quarter way down the page) which looks to contain huge volume. Who does this much?

World record holders, Olympic Champions, World Champions and Collegiate Champions.

Joking aside it’s a meat grinder system, i.e. put 100 sprinters through it and 90 get hurt/burn out/get slower, 9 do really well and 1 becomes a world beater. He also recruits those with decent natural speed and good speed endurance, the rest is just getting them really really fit.

that’s very interesting, didn’t think of it in those terms. Certainly one way to make sure you have the most resilient of athletes.

Rich,

You realize that a, b, c etc. are different example workouts that would be done on different days…they’re not all done in the same workout.

Are we on the same page, ie. pg 6 onwards, labelled 1, 2, 3 etc. ? I originally thought that there were different options for each day but then realised that each session within a day was targeting a different quality. I then assumed that all sessions on the daily list were to be performed. Also, they are labelled 1, 2, 3, etc. starting with warm up and finishing with weights etc. and so again it looks like the athlete is intended to work through the list.

these have been discussed at length and they are all for the same day but are early on and the volume drops as the intensity increases, eg the 10 x 200 @ 30 sec drops to something like 2 x 200 @ 22 from memory. There seems to be consensus with Stikki’s meat grinder comment.

How important would the weekend sessions be? I am thinking the 3 mile is active recovery and the Fartlek for extra aerobic fitness if the athlete feels up to it.

Very important…

I ask since Clyde Hart states that the athlete is “encouraged” to do these sessions, as though they are optional

or just another example of Harts Training Program http://www.edb.utexas.edu/ssn/CCA%20PDF/Run-200-400%20Sprint.PDF

This is short part of the book about MJ - Gold Rush… And during preparation for Atlanta 1996 he had a workout 3x200m rest 1:30 min. " By the time I reached the other side of the track, Coach was walking out of the office, his training log in hand. " Start your cool down" he said. Then he showed me the stopwatch. The actual times were 21.4 - 21.2 - 20.1 " And you werent wearing spikes" he said…"
So zou can see thet MJ coud run fast even during training…