Classic sit ups not bio-mechanicly relevent?

Doing it helped me regain some muscular development that I had lost from not lifting weights for over 6 months. I did end up losing weight though. I went from mid 190’s to 187. It made me look a lot more lean and defined and I was already very lean to begin with.

[quote="“Goose232”]

Sit ups equal jogging?

I once did 1000 sit ups in a row. It took me about 30 minutes.

we are not talking strictly about sit-ups.

I have to question if they were a true situp or a crunch, a terminology mix up maybe

they used a ton of exercises, not just sit-ups crunches but bicycle kicks, med ball work and plenty more. Many of the reps do not come all the way up like traditional sit-ups.

sure would teach the lactic system to work

I don’t see any problem with time when you are a professional athlete. Once track practice and weight room work is over, you have HOURS to kill before the next day starts.

Have you ever tried it?

For the first time in my life last year I just jumped into doing 800 reps of ab work (with a 18lbs med ball) a week, and in about 2-4 weeks in, I felt a difference in my sprinting, as in, I felt I had more stability when I ran and my reflexes were much more sharp and crisp. Also, the looks of my mid section changed to match the rest of my body in that of an athletic appearance.

You figure there has got to be a reason why such an old fitness technique (med ball sit ups) has been around as a staple for such a long time.

This seems much more reasonable than 1000’s of unresisted situps. A little over 100 reps per day, even 200 reps per day, with resistance seems a much more effecient way to work the abs.

Well yea, you got to find what works best for you… In my case, being that I don’t get paid to run I think dedicating 800-2000 reps of med ball is enough to get me in the game if I’m good enough. If I was getting paid,:cool: I would be doing 4k a week with no complaints or gripes about it.

You guys are dedicated, I’m probably doing 200 abs per week.

Hmmm, not sure if you are using a med ball but it helps because it makes it fun! I just take my time with it, rest when I need and change how I throw the ball. After a while you go into BEAST mode and you just refuse to give up until you reach the number in your mind.

I was going mine in the gym but I no longer go to the gym that had the med balls so I need to buy my own real quick! I plan on using the med ball outside against a brick wall that is right next to the track I use and resume my abb routine after tempo. BTW, I just started doing sit ups and abs DURING tempo and I have noticed a change. Wow man, Charlie has his stuff down pack! You just got to put it all together and do it.

Are you talking about the mb wall circuit or regular mb ab movements (situps, toe touches etc)

[quote="“Charlie_Francis,post:164,topic:20887”]

No, I think jogging or any type of skipping or running variations are superior to any type of sit ups. I should have said that in my original post. Why I didn’t, I don’t know.
I still do’t get the reason for doing sit ups, when the muscle tensions generated in running are often higher than in gym work, even if the time under tension (per stride) is over quicker than callasthenic reps. But the running strides have more spacific neural tensions.

If I knew, or if you or any other knowladgeable person with experiance of high reps or intensive weighted reps of abdominal callasthenics, could tell me a good reason for doing them, then I would include them.

I only see that the shoulder girdle, and the lower back, are better trained in the gym than on the track, but all other muscle groups (including abdominal/obliques) are better trained thru the running / hops / sprinting / skipping etc…

Weren’t atleast some of your training groups callasthenics reps, actually done in a standing position? Like the “around the world” med ball drill?

I remember throwing a basketball in to a wall many times, daily, for several weeks. I desperately wanted a med ball, but it would have made too much noise and would have damaged the indoor wall. Dam it, I’ll go and purchase a decent medicine ball, if med ball throws in to a wall is good training. Even after the basketball throws, I noticed a differance in my running.

You was faster at sprinting after 2-4 weeks of this training method? Or you just ‘felt’ faster?

I can see how med ball throws in to a wall, would be far more relevent to running , than just doing crunches and sit ups.

With the med ball throws in to a wall, atleast you are in a standing position.

Med ball throws in to a wall are much better than sit ups & crunches in my opinion.

Med ball wall circuit

Oh, big difference. Those are a lot easier then doing 3000 situps.

I did not feel faster but I did feel more stabilized and my arm pumping motion was more sharp and crisp. I’m sure is had something to do with my arms getting use to throwing around the weight of an 18lbs ball.

18lbs is too heavy for mb wall circuit…