Classic sit ups not bio-mechanicly relevent?

Her tech was 10x’s better then the players. :slight_smile:

CF, do you think the exercises shown are orthopedically sound?

We used to do them supported with a partner but I don’t think a well trained guy like shown is likely to have an issue with relative small loads of that type. (They did pick a realistic guy with long legs for this.) Of course there’ll be complaints but the only way to please everyone is to do nothing.

Trey Hardee is a beast.

Take a look at Stuart McGill’s work on abs. It is quite interesting and having injured my back his stuff makes sense. And guess what, he is also a Canadian!

Earlier you mention your guys did 2000yds, 900throws, and 1500abs twice a week. Let’s say for some odd reason you had to train 4 str days (Mon-Thur) for a period of 4 weeks would you still have done the same amount of low intensity leading into the second speed day or something along these lines?

Mon/Wed: Speed
Tue: Tempo 1200yds, 600throws, 1500abs
Thur: 2000yds, 900throws, 1500abs

I was doing that volume way back when, every week.

Man, that volume stuff, I was weak as a kitten.

You want a real test of core strength?.

See how long you can hold the L-Sit?. Aim for 60secs. Yeah, your gonna feel the shake. lol.

//youtu.be/S9oWkeqIVAU

See how many planche push-ups you can perform?. Aim for 5.

//youtu.be/oyuJ3T0sQ88

For a sprinter, the decision would be based on whether we are closer to GPP or SPP

Closer to GPP I might select to prioritize general fitness and keep the temp volumes the same on each day and reduce the volume of the second speed day to 60 or 50% of the workload of the first speed day.

Closer to SPP I might prioritize the speed work and reduce the volume of the second tempo workload by 50-60%.

There’s clearly much more to discuss regarding each scenario; however, I’ve had great success in reducing latter part of the training week workloads by 50-60% based upon the emphasis of the block.

That’s a big drop in volume, most gpp workouts are mainly 0-30m and volume around the 360-390ish area.

Correct, however, trust me in that the interplay between the varied training elements on all days yields positive results; even though the sprint volume on the second speed day is considerably lower than the first.

My suggestion is not theoretical, I’ve done this for a few years now (only at certain times of course) and the results are continuously positive.

Additionally, I should have first clarified that the workload adjustments need not apply to all training modalities for a given day. Meaning, if the sprint volume is reduced to 50-60% of the volume performed earlier in the week, you may perform the same, or more, volume of throws and jumps- as one example only.

I should also note that the lower the volume is on the second session the more favorable it is to ensure that the distance of the sprint reps are on the longer end relative to the block.

So, if 0-30m is the range and day one was 360-390m then day two would consist of 180-216m or 195-234m, respectively. In either case, I’d suggest that the session consist of all 30m efforts and as such you’d get a total of 6-8 x 30m which is fine for a GPP session; particularly if the volume of throws and jumps were to increase on that day.

Lastly, since the example you referenced is GPP we must remember that we may disperse additional intensive elements across all training days so there’s more opportunities to get some stimulus that you may be concerned of missing via a substantial reduction in sprint volumes on the second speed day.

James, I saw the video of your athlete performing MB throws I’m curious why is he standing so far away from the wall and performing the throws at such a slow speed? My guys are inches away from the wall and the speeds are fast - your thoughts.

I should first note that some of my players do elect to remain closer to the wall and execute the movement at a higher frequency.

I’m not that critical of the frequency as long as the effort remains aerobic.

My instruction is merely to ensure that the movement is executed rhythmically.

Generally, however, the movement rate is closer to what you see the athlete performing in the video.

Other than certain power speed, explosive med ball, and jumps that I’ve included at the beginning of a tempo session (during GPP), the bulk of all forms of training on a tempo day, post GPP, is extensive (with the exception of power speed warm up drills which by all accounts are very low in intensity the way we perform them- smoothly and rhythmically).

The method of execution that you see in the video is extensive and the muscular effect is compatible with all else that we perform on those days in the form of calisthenics, the tempo activities, and auxiliary resistance exercises.

I have no objections against a higher rate of movement on the rebounds; however, I’ve found that the manner in which we perform them is highly effective relative to the reasons I explained earlier in this thread.

Additionally, we are able to accomplish more extended/continuous work without entering a lactic environment. This is beneficial relative to the placement of the exercise in the session. We jog two laps around the field then proceed to the court for the rebounds. They initiate the warm up.

Their extensive nature is fantastic for generating blood flow in the active musculature and raising overall body temperature in a purely aerobic manner. For this reason, they are great to perform in the warm up prior to speed work and explosive throws as well.

I perform these routinely myself and think very highly of this method of execution for all the explained purposes.

The series of moves you see performed totals 250 reps per set. We perform 1-4 sets depending on where we are in the training year.

This is also a great aerobic workout in and of itself in the spirit of ‘no excuses’ tempo activities if done over the course of 20-30 minutes with brief recovery periods interspersed throughout.

Thanks James, for the past 4 weeks I have been using your format with some of my clients with great results.

[b]- warm up approx 20-30min

• tempo runs/drills approx 30min
  • abs/med ball rebounds approx 30min
  • auxiliary resistance training approx 30min[/b]

How far into the offseason program do you use the above format?

Volumes and regimes of work will vary; however, we’ll perform those drills throughout the entire off-season.

Will this continue in some degree with inseason training with volume decreasing.

Think about it… No…

I’m honored to be able to quote Charlie so often in responding to training questions; not just here on his site, but on a day to day basis coaching.

So to answer your question, as Charlie noted, we must not underestimate the qualities that are addressed via the sport practices and games themselves.

To this end, from a bioenergetic standpoint, the alactic and aerobic loads are substantial. For this reason, the volume of these loads that we introduce during the competition calendar is very carefully dosed and only aerobic.

We perform tempo the day after the game in a relatively low volume (800 total yds is typically the most), sometimes at the end of mid-week practices at a greater intensity in very small volumes (I think the greatest volume of this we ever performed post-practice was 400yd linemen, 500yd big skill, 600yd small skill) and I conduct cardiac work with my skill players at the beginning of every training session.

I should note that with each season since 2007 we’ve performed less and less mid-week post-practice tempo because, from a multi-year perspective, we’ve developed an exceptional work capacity and the higher the player’s output- the higher they’ll demonstrate it during practice periods (most notably team period, 7 on 7, 9 on 9, 1 on 1s, and inside run). Thus, the less work they need in addition to the load of practice; particularly following the practices featuring the greater workloads.

Don’t have a issue with tempo the day after a game but I’m surprise you guys do any conditioning throughout the week with the NFL coaching staff you guys have.

We are fortunate to have the complete trust and support of our head coach.

It seems like the strength coach at the local University here work the players hard during the week. I have seen them do the gasser thing in season, I assume that is common even though Charlie would not recommend that?

Heard quite a few players complain of being dead -legged game day.