CJ says he can beat bolt in a 50

DAVIE, Fla. (AP)—When it came to talking trash about who’s faster, NFL rushing leader Chris Johnson won going away Wednesday.

Johnson said speedy Miami Dolphins receiver Ted Ginn Jr.(notes) stood him up when they agreed to a foot race during a summer pool party on Miami Beach.

“We were going to race down Ocean Drive,” said Johnson, who considers himself the league’s fastest player. “I walked down to the street, and he never showed up.”

The subject arose during a conference call with South Florida media. Johnson and his Tennessee Titans play the Dolphins on Sunday.

Johnson said the race was arranged at a party last offseason attended by Ginn, Dolphins teammate Joey Porter(notes) and other NFL players.

“Him and Joey Porter were talking about how he could beat me,” Johnson said. “When it came down to it, he was a no-show.”

Ginn said the idea for the race didn’t come from him or Johnson.

“It wasn’t anything like I didn’t show up,” Ginn said. “It wasn’t like I went to him to say, ‘Let’s race.’ There were some guys at the party who wanted to say who was faster, so they started the rumor. It’s not like I’m denying it or I’m scared of him.”

So who’s faster?

“I feel like I could beat him,” Ginn said. “He feels like he could beat me.”

Johnson was less diplomatic when asked if he’s faster than Ginn.

“That’s not even a legitimate question,” Johnson said.

Is Johnson faster than Olympic champion Usain Bolt?

“That’s a better question,” Johnson said. “I think I would beat him like in the 50.”

Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder(notes) declined to side with his teammate. He said Johnson would beat Ginn—and perhaps Bolt, too.

“He might roll Bolt in the 100,” Crowder said. “Y’all don’t know how fast that boy is. He is fast, fast, fast. Flat-out FAST—capital letters.”

Johnson has rushed for 1,626 yards this season and could become the sixth player to reach the 2,000 milestone. He had a time of 4.24 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine last year.

Ginn is a former national prep champion in the high hurdles who played at Ohio State.

“He’s pretty fast,” Johnson said. “But a lot of people get it mistaken at the conference he played at. Was it the Big Ten? They’re a slow conference. They don’t have fast guys in that conference. It automatically makes him look like he’s a real fast guy.”

Johnson said he has never taken part in the sort of challenge race arranged with Ginn.

“They say they want to,” he said, “but they end up backing out.

I’d like to see him ever run 10.1x

This is interesting, as my coach works with an NRL club (rugby league club) in Sydney where some of the players are clocking faster 20m times (FAT on grass) than the splits in Bolt’s world record! The players are in their preseason work and clocking as low as 2.74 (Bolt’s opening 20 was 2.89 I think), however they have gone as low as 2.68 inseason. Power and speed over 20m is, of course, a major component of their game and I’m not sure if many of them would be much good after that.

I’m guessing they’re not reacting to the gun on the grass and its more of a touchpad electric timing system. Some people even use the timing gates with a minor 0.5m run in, which makes a huge difference. Nevertheless, some quick times.

I would like to see someone bet bolt their yearly contract they’d beat him. let’s see who talks then. CJ is fast, don’t think he can hang with UB past 30

For the rugby 20m times, it’s very likely they’d be using the timing gates with an upto 1m step in. That’s how they do it for the AIS and WAIS sport institutes testing and for the AFL Draft Camp screenings (2.79s by Danyle Pearce is the fastest recorded time at the AFL Draft Camp screenings).

Some other results here: http://www.topendsports.com/testing/results/sprint-tests.htm

Scarlets Academy also have their top 5 40m testings here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheScarletsAcademy

It’s funny how guys from other sports always want to race track guys but only on their own terms. If they want to prove themselves why don’t they jump into a legit meet and run a 60m or 100m? Fragile egos won’t take that risk.

spoke to my coach about the times - they use the ‘lightgate’ timing gates, but the reason theyre so much faster is that they don’t have to react to the gun. still pretty quick off the mark though. i doubt many of them would be great after 30-40, though one player has a top speed of 38.5km/h

Another factor to take into consideration (which so far I have yet to come across being mentioned on the forum) is that when an athlete is running shorter distances 20-60m in these speed tests, and then compares them to the splits seen during World championship/Olympic 100m finals, they fail to realise that “all-out” accelerations within those distances wil probably produce a faster time than if the athlete is just passing through these distances on their way to running a 100m. For example I have found that my 30m times are approximately 2 tenths quicker than my 30m split on my way to running 60m (which is still an intense run). Now this was not a conscious act as no matter how hard I try this becomes the outcome (similar I suppose to an athlete that tries to hit the same top speed in the 200m as they do for the 100m-bend factored in- but just can’t hit it). As the 100m is an even more “energy spreading” distance than the 60m I would suggest that the 30m time on the way to this has an even greater differential than an athletes flat out 30m time.

So what am I saying? Well If Bolt can run 2.89 on his way to running a 100m, then If you subtract the 2-3 tenths for just running 20m where all his ‘energy’ is condensed into this shortened distance Plus he uses timing gates so you can subtract reaction time then I would expect a time closer to 2.45-2.55.

ted ginn ran 10.5, chris only ran 10.38
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chris-johnson?id=262

http://anonym.to/?http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17300&ATCLID=1059976

chris aint beatin no one to the 50. He better worry about Demps when he get to the nfl.

Would that be Micheal Jennings,who plays in the centres for the Penrith Panthers? He is reputed as being the fastest man in the NRL.

Why not start a thread of your own. DOnt highjack someone elses. YOu may get more responses that way? How bout you delete this is start a thread?

Oh I see you do have a thread. How bout you delete this.

How would you like it if someone came into any of the many threads you posted and started to ask off topic questions and at the same time asking the same question multiple times in other threads. Give people a chance to answer your question. This thread is about chris johnson and football. IF any one is being rude it is you. I am sure the person who started the thread didnt start it so you could hijack it.

Ok newbie whatever you say. Create some enemies. Im sure that will help you get questions answered. And yes I hate it when people hijack others threads while creating a million others.

I ran a 2.53 20m full electronic the other day. 4.51 over 40m. It’s top speed that seperates the men from the boys.

The UK no.1 discus thrower ran a 1.59 10m and a 3.5x 30m also.

Yea all that short stuff is useless in track. What happens after 40 is what matters. I read asafa didnt hit top speed till 70 during his wr. I wonder where bolt hit it at?

38,5 km/h…pretty Impressive for a Rugby man…still 6 km/h slower than Bolt.
And…if No one noticed…he (Bolt) was first at 20…so…maybe he could beat him in a 5 yard dash…who knows…regarding 40y timing…Charlie and N2 could remember us of the Toronto Argonauts coaches, that, while at the skydome…clocked a pretty interesting 3.7 for Ben…
Ginn…has a great top speed imho…concentrating on track would be awesome.