Chris6878's journal.

Well I feel good when I run after weights. But, I usually hit the weights really early in the am and run in the pm. With enough recovery it’s great. I wouldn’t do it directly before a sprint session. At least 5 hours before.
Before posting my spec end was nothing but split runs. I started in September with 2-3x6x50. My goal was to run 300m for each split run. I stayed on grass until December. So all my sprinting was done on grass. After the 50’s I went to 2x3x100 then to 150+150x2 then 200,100 and I did a couple sessions of 250,50 but the meets started so I haven’t done much spec end as of late.

I’m gonna just do 150’s from now on when ever I don’t have a meet.
I love 120’s because I can really work on max phase running and don’t have to worry about much endurance. I can get into full flight and work on relaxation while in full flight which is something I missed all of the last few seasons.

Now I’m just waiting to get into a good non windy meet that’s run on schedule. I’ve been stuck at 11.2-11.1 all season. Each time I know I should’ve run much faster.

But one good thing is school is almost out for the summer and I can really concentrate on track. Track season is over at my school so I’m not coaching till next year so I fully expect to run a 4 year best in the next couple meets.

How did you find the transition through your spec end periodisation? I’ve never split the runs like that and built up in that fashion, but I like the idea of it.

So you will be doing 150s once a week? Will you still keep the 120s in?

It seems like you’ve improved throughout the season from the results I can see that you have posted. Have you run a 4 year best already this season?

Not even close to a best yet. I feel it coming soon.
I liked the transition. Next season ill probably start with the 2x3x100 split runs. I wanna get into the flat out 300s earlier.
Yea when I have a speed end day it will be 150x3 or 2 depending on how the body feels.

I’m definitely gonna keep the 120s in. I like to do a 120 after short speed just for form work and speed end ill do a few 120s

5/18 had a meet which turned into a fiasco. Meet was supposed to be a masters and open meet. They decided the day of the meet to include aau kids. This intern totally destroyed the schedule. No body knew until we arrived. I was scheduled to run at 10 am for the 100 based on the schedule they sent out . So I ate ate 7am arrived to the track at 8 and got warm despite all the damn children. I then found out they had to reseed heats and change the schedule. So the meet went straight to hell from there. I warmed up and cooled down 3 times before I finally ran at 1pm. The worst part is they surprised us and said ok yall up out of the fucking blue. Ofcourse I wasnt warm. During my first warm up I felt prime to run really fast. Didnt feel that way once it was time to run. My supplements I had taken at run its course and I was hungry as shit. So with a tight hamstring and sore cool achilles I ran my usuall 11.2.

I wasnt too angry cause They decided to run finals. Too bad those finals didnt happen for 4 hours, and ofcourse no one knew when were running so I had to stay warm for 4 fucking hours. By then it begans to rain and now they are in a hurry. They call us to run the finals out the fuckin blu again. By this time I say fuck it im not running. THey neglected to let anyone know there would be a final in the 100 so nobody showed up. I saw no use in running alone in the rain so I packed up and got the hell out of there.

I wanted to run the 200…but I was starving and I knew they wouldnt run until late. I was right, they didnt run it until 7pm. Fucking sad. I am going to email the meet director to let him know my disgust. That is a great way to make sure know one shows up to any of your meets again.

5/19 off
5/20 10x100 and 3x10 pull ups over and under. 3x6 pull downs abs

5/21- am gym 6x3 high pulls up to 205
2x10 single leg gm.
6xghr and had to get to work. Im hopping to get some work in tonight on the track if it doesnt rain.

Rain free. Felt good.
2x10 bs
1x20,30,40,50,50
2x30m fly 30 run up. I ran 3.45 on both runs. I discovered after I finished I had ran about 35 meters.
30 bounds on grass
Was gonna finish with a 120 but I was tired, plus I needed to do some ploys.
Was a good session. I am pleased

5/22 rest abs

5/23
Tempo
5x100 warm up
2x5x100 avg 17-16 secs
5x100 18-19 secs as a cool down

Was pretty damn hot today. abs tonight

Regarding your required 3X warmups for this day/fiasco, was the total volume of all 3 warmups combined around 2000m worth of ball of foot contacts/strikes?

Never thought about it but it was quite a few contacts. The first warm up was a good hour. I did 5x100 grass strides, drills, stretched then I did my sub maximal 100. I was primed and ready to roll. 2nd warm up was a few short strides, block work to 10-30 m. The 3rd warm up was just strides and a few runs with spikes. So it turned into a tempo session. Lol

5/24 speed end
Am gym. 3,3,3,2,2 p cleans. My cleans were ass. I’m thinking 7 am cleans aren’t good
3,3,3,3 225, 225, 245- bench
Ghr 2x5

Pm track
3x30 bs. Felt real good
120 bs
120 standing 13.9 lil tired from first 120.
100 standing 10.81. Had a boo boo first 30. Was able to get into my race pattern after 30. The last 20 I did the asafa b skip. Lol

Did a nice ice massage.

Drop the cleans they are a waste of time esp at commercial gyms.

Yea after that work out I was thinking od dropping em. I do them at my school gym with bumper plates but I probably will drop em

5/25
20x100 easy

Do you guys get much from weights anymore.

I don’t think oly lifts contributed to any power or speed increases I have ever seen. They were kind of fun but I no longer do them. In fact after I got to a certain strength level, still low at the time I might add, I never got anything else from weights. For sprinting, wide receiver, corner heavy weights seem a bit overemphasized.

I’ve been thinking about that also lately. I think once you reach a certain level of strength getting stronger especially during the season won’t help much, at least at our level. Unless you are just truly weak in one particular body part that contributes to sprinting like the posterior chain.

I have no desire to lift heavy weights and strain through heavy sets - I suppose I lost my mojo. Ask yourself how many fast people you know that spend a lot of time lifting heavy weights? My answer is not many - most of the fast people I know either lift no weights or bodybuilding type weights (arms/machines for high reps). When you are doing a Charlie S2L type of program heavy weights causes more issues then good for most non super freaks.

Yeah, not many. I can think of only a few who lift heavy and run really fast. Who in the nfl that are play wr or db is lifting heavy in the offseason, maybe Revis, maybe Patrick Peterson still does but I doubt it. Deion wasn’t banging out heavy squats that’s for sure.

Yea I’ve always in the past either just stopped lifting or went light.

3/26
Speed day
I felt ok during warm up. I was a lil tired upon waking up
2x10, 20, 3x30 bstarts
1x50 no blocks
1x30 fly 3.09
100 stand 10.89 worked on holding form.
10 oh med ball
3x sand pit jumps.
I wasn’t to sore today once I got rolling. Not a bad day

Weight room. Didn’t feel like doing much.
Bench 2x5x225
Gmorning 10,8
Single leg back ext 2x10

Massage after

5/27
10x100 easy. abs
5/28
10x100 extra easy. low back was stiff as hell. abs and stretching

5/29
am weights
6x3 high pulls

track tonight

5/29
Got to track for planned 3x30 bs and 1x150
After a great warmup I get in the blocks for some pop outs. Then the rain starts. I got a 30 in and ran to the car. What a waste.

5/30-
Tempo 8x200 4x100. Abs glute work and stretch.