Chris6878's journal.

Do you guys get much from weights anymore.

I don’t think oly lifts contributed to any power or speed increases I have ever seen. They were kind of fun but I no longer do them. In fact after I got to a certain strength level, still low at the time I might add, I never got anything else from weights. For sprinting, wide receiver, corner heavy weights seem a bit overemphasized.

I’ve been thinking about that also lately. I think once you reach a certain level of strength getting stronger especially during the season won’t help much, at least at our level. Unless you are just truly weak in one particular body part that contributes to sprinting like the posterior chain.

I have no desire to lift heavy weights and strain through heavy sets - I suppose I lost my mojo. Ask yourself how many fast people you know that spend a lot of time lifting heavy weights? My answer is not many - most of the fast people I know either lift no weights or bodybuilding type weights (arms/machines for high reps). When you are doing a Charlie S2L type of program heavy weights causes more issues then good for most non super freaks.

Yeah, not many. I can think of only a few who lift heavy and run really fast. Who in the nfl that are play wr or db is lifting heavy in the offseason, maybe Revis, maybe Patrick Peterson still does but I doubt it. Deion wasn’t banging out heavy squats that’s for sure.

Yea I’ve always in the past either just stopped lifting or went light.

3/26
Speed day
I felt ok during warm up. I was a lil tired upon waking up
2x10, 20, 3x30 bstarts
1x50 no blocks
1x30 fly 3.09
100 stand 10.89 worked on holding form.
10 oh med ball
3x sand pit jumps.
I wasn’t to sore today once I got rolling. Not a bad day

Weight room. Didn’t feel like doing much.
Bench 2x5x225
Gmorning 10,8
Single leg back ext 2x10

Massage after

5/27
10x100 easy. abs
5/28
10x100 extra easy. low back was stiff as hell. abs and stretching

5/29
am weights
6x3 high pulls

track tonight

5/29
Got to track for planned 3x30 bs and 1x150
After a great warmup I get in the blocks for some pop outs. Then the rain starts. I got a 30 in and ran to the car. What a waste.

5/30-
Tempo 8x200 4x100. Abs glute work and stretch.

6/2
10x100 grass. Got two meets this weekend. Gonna try and run a few rounds of the 100. Possibly 5 races in two days.

6/3
back- pullups oh and under and rows
track- 3x10,20,3x30 blocks.
2x120 one from blocks.
felt good today. ice massage, abs and stretch
Not gonna sprint again until Friday during pre-race.

6/4
10x100 easy then massage. abs

6/5 gym am high pulls 3,3,3,2,2 135-205.
High pulls have become my fav lift. I love being able to work on triple ext with out worrying about getting under the bar for a clean.
Abs tonight.
At last track workout I decided to adjust my block peddle for my front foot. I placed it closer to the front of the blocks or the line. I fell its much easier for me to get into running position now. Cant wait to try it out Saturday.

6/6
Tempo 15x100. Can’t wait to run Saturday. Hope the weather holds

Could you post up some video of your 15-16secs grass tempo 100’s? I’d mainly use for a reference for some youth beginners, how a sub 11 athlete looks while tempo striding

Yea ill have to find somebody to record.

8am pre meet workout
warm up
3x20 bs

bench 2x3x225

felt real good today.

flettotenko,
have you viewed GPP?
There is some great footage of tempo in this download and the running is technically sound as well.

Yea I think ang is on those vids. She has excellent form during her tempo runs

6/9
Well I planned on running two meets this weekend with atleast 4 races. That didnt happen.
6/8 first race. I ran 11.23 with second place at 12.4. I cut it off at the end of the race to save it for the final. After the race I hear the fat lady running the meet say she aiint having a final cause she ready to go home. I say wtf. I really fucking hate dealing with these fat black people at alot of these meets. Its always only the blacks. Its like they get off on treating athletes like shit at these meets. I never have an issue with any other color. Just fat and black…who never ran track at all. And no im not being racist! So I leave and go to the other meet. I get there and as expected they roll my race over to sunday 6/9.

6/9
I get to the meet. Im expecting to run a semi and a final. Me and my friends are supposed to run in the masters race but we want to run the open semi cause they were not gonna have a semi for masters. We got the ok from the meet director. We get called for our race and another fat black non athlete convinces the meet director to not let us run. This guy is a complete asshole who I deal with every year. LOng story short, the director listened to this dick head and we couldnt get the open semi. complete bullshit. Luckily they had a special 50 meter race for older athletes. I say fuck it and we all jump in that race. The fat boi sees us and tries to stop us but it was too late. I really felt like beating his ass. Totally killed any focus we had. I ran 6.30. I dont know the wind but it was neg.

15 mins later we run the final. All 15 mins of rest included use arguing with the fat non athlete. He has a fat napoleon complex.
Final 100 i ran 11.34 into a -6. fist was 11.00 I cant get any thing to go right this season. After the race this coach comes to me and calls me superman. I say what?
He tells me during the race I was in the air too long. Then he shows me the pics. 0-30 me and the winner were neck in neck 70-100 he pulled. And on the pic I see myself way in the air at 85 meters. He tells me The end of the race shouldnt look like the first half. And I know exactly what I did. I should have been hammering at the end of the race with a much faster cadence. I actually saw the winner pull on me the last 15 meters. And what I actually noticed he steps get much faster. I was in the air and he was applying force to the track. Cant apply force to the track if your in the air. The coach then tells me I should be clawing and putting the foot down toward the end. That right there would have dropped my time.

Next year Im going to run at dennis Mitchell’s meet. He caters to sprinters. Its on time, everyone runs in a final no matter what. And the times are super fast.
9.98 by Mvumvre yesterday.http://star-athletics-sprint-series–2.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=8779&do=videos&video_id=91834

I usually try to support the meet director down here but his fat ass friend just made sure I wont return. Same goes for the fat lady at the other meet.

6/10 off
6/11 am
I realized after this weekend that I need to work on race modeling. I know I needed to do a lot of reps of it but I didnt wanna go superfast. I did 2x5x100 on the track in flats. times were between 12.5 and 14.6. I had some wind with me towards the end but the goal was to drive out get tall and finish while working on mechanics. I walked back between reps and took 5 for the set. I want to see how i feel tomorrow.

I am in the GPP doing med ball throws and other drills over the hurdles but the tempo is performed by Lindsay Lochhead. I’d like to take credit for how good she looks in the video however.
I am going to respond to Jcc110m regarding some tempo questions under “Technical advice for a young hurdler”.

To ange coon,
re: gpp video as a technical model

Sorry ange…im of the philosophy such that, I’d prefer to use a flojo, shelly ann fraser/ jeter, or yourself(the video with you w/charlie commenting while working w/ nfl dudes), if i had some female athletes(which i lament that i dont)…with the male youth/beginners(12/13 years) seeing as they are new to striding(with ball of foot contacts at 4-4.5 per sec) i had an ‘experienced sub 11 man power type sprinter’ with chris in mind pertaining to a technical model in the tempo realm…these youth have alright power to 40m until which they tend to continue to tighten up more and more and do the twist from a front on shot; id like them to learn a more relaxed 'non muscling technique at a slower pace/longer distance than 40m, to minimize the ‘doing of the twist increasingly vulgarly’ past 40m