chondromalacia patellae

To answer two questions:
How would I know you can overtain the glute med? Because we have it done it. When we do too much hip oriented work, we have seen a slight increase in patella-femoral pain. Most things I know, I know because I did them wrong already. One reason I write so much is to give others the benefit of my mistakes.

As for your comments RE injury, I respectfully disagree. I believe I specifically distinguished between trauma and overuse. Overuse is clearly preventable with good coaching.

Yes, no one should get hurt training. An overuse injury created by a physical prep coach is unacceptable. An acute injury created by a physical prep coach should be an immediate termination.

I just heard of a coach at a neighboring training facility had a heavy set young lady jumping over 30" hurdles she clearly wasn’t ready for. A torn ACL, a bucket of tears, a pissed off agent and two angry parents later, he’s out of a job.

But don’t quickly dismiss the fact that many athletes have underlying anatomical defects, degeneration and ills of the game that will predispose them to PF pain created and excaberated by their sport regardless of how painfree their training was.

T

I know that most of you will detest this approach but I had fantastic results rehabbing chrondomalacia patallae using only SuperSlow terminal knee extensions. That means one set to failure at an angular velocity that would result in a 10 second full repetition (ends up being about 3 seconds for a 20 degree rep). I did this workout once every 3-4 days and my progress was startling.

a little update:

i dont squat, and dudring xmass i mostly sat on my ass.

the result is…well i think it got worce. It may be the cold but now, squating in a deep position (i mean body weight, normal movements!) is intolerable.

i sould really find a physio at this point…though any other point at the ROM doesnt affect me. Neither is sprinting.

dammit

sorry for bringing up an old subject.

but i have an update for anyone interested.

i used most of the advice in here, mainly the slow eccentrics, the hip rotators stuff and mixed and muched with some more dynamic stuff that involved the hips and knees as well as with some progressive box squats

im happy to imform you that my knees hurt no more, i still have a ratling noise on my patellar tendon but no pain what soever and i can parralel squat pain free 170 kg

sweet