Chinese Oly full Squat, 220 kg at 69 kg

i have that vid and its awesome… great to watch for inspiration…

I was a competitive powerlifter in the 80’s and early 90’s. Even I’m blown out. That was definitely high. If he went 2 inches lower than that he would have still been high, and it would have crushed him. To much hype to continually brake world records. The sport has become so fragmented with multiple federations (6 plus at least) that this is a direct result, lowered standards.

Apparently with certain suits its very misleading from the front and you have to watch from the side.

You mean like all the way up to their belly button? :smiley:

No, the 1993 one. Some French guy I think

Man, the belly button’s a long way up north when you’re pulling a max clean! :slight_smile:

Pual Childress owns the squat record of 1085 pounds last time I checked. Now, is that the MAIN federation, (the one “Westside bb club” use), and also, is it deffinately the biggest powerlifting squat of recent times?
Also, what federation do most of the German and Scandinavian countries use, becuase whenever the world strongman competitions are on, everyone’s an ex powerlifting record holder!

Mike Miller squatted 1200 but the video looks REALLY high. Same suit/angle issue but its almost impossible to believe it was to depth. Mikesell hit 1165 I believe?

I just hate strength athletes ragging on strength athletes, I find both top olympic lifting and powerlifting extremely impressive. Top deadlifters can do amazing things in regards to speed with 600-700 lbs.

Nobody’s ragging; I’m sure that Westside guys generate ridiculously impressive amounts of p-chain power on DE squats and deadlifts. I was just pointing out that Olympic Weightlifters’ reputation for being excellent short-distance sprinters and jumpers (in other words, for being excellent at short-term power production) can probably be explained by the fact that the devote more of their time to lifts further towards the velocity end of the force-velocity curve than powerlifters do.

Oly lifters get that explosive strength development from the catching phase more so than the actual lifting. Im not saying that the pulling itself isnt a display of high forces, but its the absorption of the loads that makes them explosive.

Fair enough. :slight_smile:

Very true. On the topic of reversal of force training:

What is the difference between the training effect elicited by speed lifts with bands and o-lifts? I’m not interested in comparing the value of the two exercises; they both develop power. But do they do this by developing different physical attributes, or by developing the same attributes in a different way?

A big differences that I can see is that O-lifts deemphasize eccentrics, whereas band lifts accentuate eccentrics by means of the additional load.

What bull shit is this?

Hmm … you have to be explosive (and strong) to get the bar up … you have to be quick to get under the bar … and you have to be strong to get your ass up from the ground. I definitely helps the whole lift if the pull is explosive. We still operate on the same curve in every aspect of the lift. I think the caching thing, however, is somewhat far fetched. The olympic lifters are exploseive because it is an explosive event - what you train, is what you become. Pull and push!