Charlie's HIT Article:

http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/msu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/06-mg-section5

Towrds the bottom are pics of the weight room…you see guys squating, front squating, etc.

You say it’s unfair for me to make such a comment and I totally disagree. I only pointed out one reason that Hitters avoid including Olympic lifts in their programs. It’s clearly not the only reason for excluding them from their programs.

I’ve spoken to at least three Hit coaches(that I can recall right now) who claimed they would not use olympic lifts because they would take too long to teach. They said olympic lifts were also too advanced technically for high school athletes(in this instance) to learn properly. This despite the fact that they taught weight training classes(along with sport coaching) and were able to work with most of these kids for 5 days/wk over four years. Sounded like plenty of time to me. Also sounds like they(the coaches)were simply unwilling to put in the time to learn how to teach the lifts properly. No arguement was made, on their part, that they did not think olympic lifts could be an important part of their programs-on the contrary they thought it would help to have such in their programs. It was simply a case of being too difficult, not enough time, etc. etc. In the case of these three coaches, I believe is was pure and simple laziness.

Granted, there are coaches out there who employ these lifts in their programs and neither teach the lifts properly nor do they continue to coach the lifts on an ongoing basis. Many believe by including an olympic lift injected in their programs that some sort of great outcome will result just by it’s mere presence.

On the other hand, I’ve seen programs where virtually everyone in the program was a fairly proficient cleaner, etc… If you put the time in and do it well, there is no reason to believe it can’t be done well. There seems to be some sort of mysticism about olympic lifts with many coaches that leads many of them to believe it is too difficult to teach/learn. Charlie has pointed out this laziness(avoidance of actual coaching) in the past regarding recycling workouts and absence of progresssions/little if any programming and I totally agree.

If one approach takes work and the other doesn’t, which one will lazy people gravitate towards. Sure was the case with the lazy prick I ran across at the pro team. never came out of his cubicle except to shit or go home.

Well if that was thier only objection then they can’t be pure HIT! That is a cop out. State that it injures people and choose to believe that or learn.

Sure it takes some time to coach but you should still know how to teach it (otherwise what happens if they go to someone who doesn’t have a clue and injures them undoing all your hard work).

I don’t teach the OLs to most of my athletes because of limited time and the fact that most of the are so unco-ordinated when they arrive (we get by with medball, jumps and easier lifts - which is still a struggle) but if I had a tallented 15 year old and someone to teach it who knew what they were doing then it would be one of my first priorities. If you are a pro and work with a limited number of athletes then you have no excuse unless you firmly believe it is a bad thing.

I’m not sure exactly what qualifies as pure HIT as many, undoubtedly have their own take on certain aspects of a program. If they had expressed the avoidance of olympic lifts in their programs due to an unwillingness to take such lifts to failure, I would have agreed with that.

My own personal experience with advocates of HIT have been individuals that I felt were too lazy to attempt to better their programs so they merely wrote off oly. lifts as too difficult to teach/learn. Their programs were, just as CF has suggested, devoid of any real progressions/planning.

Maybe the worst part of all was failing to adjust to the reality of what their workouts had done to their athletes. Rather than seeking and accepting feedback from athletes(that coaches know they can trust) they went ahead with all-out sessions to failure. This despite the fact that their athletes were extremely beat-up with soreness from previous workouts. Naturally, a number of their athletes were soon injured. I don’t believe all Hitters to take this approach but the ones I have had the misfortune(for their athletes) of observing took this approach. One cited the reason for forging ahead with work to failure despite little recovery from previous work was that his charges “needed to toughen up”. I thought to myself, yeah his toughness will surely be challenged once he is injured.

After several years, note that “bumping” posts is ineffective.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com