Cf strength training during spp

hey charlie i heard you say that during the spp phase the intensity of the weights should be high, my question is if the intensity is high how can top speed be develop to its max - bc i also heard you say when the loads are high top speed cant be develop max?

these are the %'s i want to hit over the next weeks:

3 warmup sets/5-6 working sets
week 1: 80

week 2: 85

week 3: 90

week 4: 80

week 5: 90

week 6: 95

week 7: 100+

week 8: 80

week 9: start inseason lifting/precomp speed

mon:
back squats/depth drops x5
2x80 1-2x2x85 2x80 2x85 2x80

wed:
snatch dl/slj x2
2x80 1-2x2x85 2x80 2x85 2x80

fri:
fsq/depth drops x5
2x80 1x2x85 2x80 2x85

THE BIG QUESTION IS, DO YOU THINK I AM DURING TOO MUCH STRENGTH WORK THAT WILL HAMPER MY TOP SPEED DEVELOPMENT??

Take a look at the seasonal graph for Ben on the Vanc 2004 DVD
(I’m pretty sure you have the graphs already)
You can see the progression of strength by phase. where accel is the objective in phase one, you can move up 6% (that’s a lot with a top athlete), In phase two maybe 2 or 3%, and in phase three 0 to 1% higher. You can see that where the top speed is the goal the increases are limited. we also had only a few primary lifts, concentrating mostly on the bench and squat. Usually not more than 3 to 4 working sets in the later phases and the warm-up sets were limited because the athletes were already warm as they lifted right after speed.

my dvd graphs didnt have that slide, but i remember seeing that in the cfts book. top speed is a weakness for me and since i am only running indoors/training for 40yd dash i want to focus on top speed during spp so i am ready for the 60m in jan, so would you recomm for me to < my lifts and weight vol. im kinda torn on what to do bc once jan hit i will be during ur inseason lifting 3x2, 2x2, 2x1 so want to have some good strength in place.

hey cf regarding my strength plan setup which one do you perfer, the plan in the first post or should i drop the wave loading and just do a 4x3x80, 4x2x85, 4x1x90 etc?

I think the plan in the first post is doable but I wonder where you left off at the end of the GPP. We were usually above 80% by then. Can you give an overview? how do the weights feel? Can you handle them easily after speed or does it wipe you out?

Can you give an overview? how do the weights feel? the weights feels good on all three days, dont feel like doing heavy fsq on some fri - overall pretty good

Can you handle them easily after speed or does it wipe you out? i have double days so i usually get anywhere 3-6hrs btw training sessions so i usually dont have any problems with feeling fatigue.

I think the plan in the first post is doable but I wonder where you left off at the end of the GPP. We were usually above 80% by then? i will only list my squats:

first 4 weeks:
fsq
3x3x80
3x2x85
2x90 3x2x95

no fsq wk 4

bsq
50x10 60x7 70x5 80x3x3
50x10 60x7 70x5 80x3 85x3x2
50x10 60x7 70x5 80x3 85x3x2
50x10 60x7 70x5 80x3 90x2 95x1 100x1

wk 5: 5x3x80

wk 6: 5x2x85

wk 7: 4x1x90+ worked to about 102

wk 8: 3x3x75

wk 9: this upcoming week

***hope i answered all the questions.

I think Charlie is referring to the 1987 graph of Ben’s Season that I have been asking for in the vanc/graphs thread… Charlie can you please post a copy of this graph? It would really be appreciated and would be helpful in clarifying some phasing details. Thanks in advance.

dude stop asking the question, that graph is in in cfts book.

:confused:

dude: if you care to have a look at the 02 seminar (or actually read the threads above) you’ll notice that the graph in cfts has no-where near the information of that contained in the Vanc 02 DVD.

dont have 02, also this tread is bout strength training not graphs, maybe u should start a new tread

If you have a REALLY CLOSE look at the thread above: Charlie posted:

“Take a look at the seasonal graph for Ben on the Vanc 2004 DVD
(I’m pretty sure you have the graphs already)
You can see the progression of strength by phase. where accel is the objective in phase one, you can move up 6% (that’s a lot with a top athlete), In phase two maybe 2 or 3%, and in phase three 0 to 1% higher. You can see that where the top speed is the goal the increases are limited. we also had only a few primary lifts, concentrating mostly on the bench and squat. Usually not more than 3 to 4 working sets in the later phases and the warm-up sets were limited because the athletes were already warm as they lifted right after speed.”

All of these details are in a graph in the Vanc 02 seminar, which is not in the pdf graphs available from the Vanc 04 seminar, and is not detailed in cfts.

The graph, referenced by Charlie in the thread above (so actually quite relevant to this thread despite what you might think) would be very handy to see!

r u gonna give me some feedback CF???

Sorry to throw it back but are you going to stick with bsq (no fsq) for the next 3 weeks? (would be my preference)

the rest of the spp program i would like to snatch dl on mon, bsq on wed and fsq on fri. why do u perfer no fsq?

Mon:
bar warmup
pc 3x70 x75 2x80 x85 x85 x80
snatch dead lift/drop j x5 5x3x80
bp 3x5
t bar rows 3x5
core 250

Wed:
bar warmup
jerk 3x3
hc 80% 3x70 x75 2x80 x85 x85 x80
bsq/slj x2 5x3x80
timed max effort 3
rdl 3x5
chinups 3x10
core 250

Fri:
bar warmup
pc 3x60 x65 x70 x75 x75 x70
fsq/drop j x5 4x3x80
bp
gh 3x8
bar row 3x5
core 250

would be great if u could give some feedback before my workout today.

Sprinting is back dominant and I tend to avoid more than a couple of lifts when things get heavy and the sprint load is high. If you do the fsq, you need the clean or snatch/dead along with the bsq to keep it back dominant. But you could reduce the reps by doing the back squat only for the final intensification period.
We discussed on another thread that the stimulus height becomes more of the issue then does the volume in terms of weights when you have a high volume of speed/speed endurance. Too much High Intensity volume ultimately compromises the ability to generate overall stimulus height for more than a very short time in a vertical integration scheme.

do u really think i am doing too many exercises? i at least want to do a pc or ps, bsq, bp.

ok new plan is i will drop fsq and do heavy bsq on mon, heavy snatch dl on wed, and bsq on fri with 10-15% drop in intensity.

mon:
pc
bsq
bp
core

wed:
hc
snatch dl
timed max effort
chinups
core

fri:
pc
bsq
bp
t bar row
core

I’m mostly thinking of the next three weeks, not overall, and you could rotate between bsq and pc every other session, or bsq 2x and the pc 1x/wk, but I’d drop the fsq for this period. Thoughts?

OK good plan- I was writing the last post when this came up!