Calculation of Sprint Volume in Flying 20s

Is this assumption correct?

Distance Counted = (Distance of Acc. + Flying 20) minus 15m

i.e. 40m Acceleration, Flying 20 =>

(40 + 20) - 15 = 45m of speed work??

Appreciate the clarification (Charlie, Flash?)

I’d like to know the answer to that ? too!!

I’d count the whole thing because of the extra demand of the speed-change work.
So, 40m build up plus “flying 20m” equals 60m.

Good question! I was wondering about this myself. Up until now, I have been simply including the full distance, but I’m not sure that is right because it is much harder to do a max acceleration for 30m than an easy acceleration for 30 and then fly for 20.

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
I’d count the whole thing because of the extra demand of the speed-change work.
So, 40m build up plus “flying 20m” equals 60m.

Yes, but when I do flying 20s, I do a smooth submaximal build up, then simply try to sustain the speed in the 20m zone, so there is not a great demand for speed change. I do an easy acceleration for the alotted distance, then try to hold the speed for the flying distance (stepping over.)

I thought speed change work was more for ins-and-outs than flying 20s, perhaps I’m doing them ‘wrong’?!?

Count everything, whether it’s a flying start or an in&out with a maintenance section after the “in” section. Also, include all of your warmup accelerations in spikes as part of the total speed volume.

This obviously includes work that is below the 95% threshold, but it’s better to be cautious and overestimate your speed volume than underestimate it. Remember that even though build ups to flying sprints and warmup accelerations are below the 95% threshold for maximum speed development, they are still above the 75% threshold as far as fatigue is concerned. If you keep these rules in mind, you’ll find that you can hit the 500m upper limit pretty quickly.

Thanks Flash, sound like good advice. That is actually what I have been doing, but it certainly is not an exact science. I am much more fatigued after doing a series of all out accelerations than I am after doing a series of flying 20s even though the overall volume in meters may be similar.

Assessment is tricky as the fatigue from high speed 20m drills may set in much later than the fatigue from strong accels from a shorter build-up (of course, the farther you build up- the less the differential can be in the 20m zone itself). The CNS fatigue from the higher speed drills may, in fact, be greater and longer-lasting overall.

speaking of flying 20s…I ran 2 in 2.03 and 2.1. What kind of times do you guys believe i could run the 100m?

thanks alot (seriously)

It’s hard to calculate as we can’t get an idea of how good your speed endurance and acceleration is, all this means is that your top speed is around 1s/10m which is about the speed of a mid 11’s guy (I’d assume your 60 is around 7.2-7.4 + corresponding decay takes you to mid 11’s or possibly high 11’s/around 12 if your acceleration and/or speed endurance are poor).

thnaks aln

yeah my acceleration, speed endurance, and top speed are all bad rights now. Im coming off of an injury and im trying to get back into shape-it’s a long road back haha

Not sure of the time you are likely to do.

But I run 12.40 after recording 3.5 30m timed from first foot contact. I had no speed endurance. IE furthest I trained was 30m

So I reckon mid 11’s

So I reckon mid 11’s

actually, i ran in the last 2 meets of this track season and i got 11.5 and 11.6 but i thought that i suddenly becaem much faster after 1 and a half weeks of training.apparently i didnt.:frowning:

Thanks for the clarification Charlie & Flash!

Much appreciated :wink:

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
Assessment is tricky as the fatigue from high speed 20m drills may set in much later than the fatigue from strong accels from a shorter build-up (of course, the farther you build up- the less the differential can be in the 20m zone itself). The CNS fatigue from the higher speed drills may, in fact, be greater and longer-lasting overall.

Interesting. I have been incorporating more flying 10’s and 20’s into my training over the past few weeks and if you have been reading my training journal, you will notice that I have been struggling with my session to session recovery times. Even though I would not have attributed this extra fatigue to the flying sprints, perhaps it is a result of the CNS demand of this training.

Be careful with speed change work near competition as it’s very hard on the CNS. When using it in the competition period, I stick with sub-max drills for technique only.

Charlie:

How close to competition would you cut out speed change work such as cones?