Burnout last 30 m of the 100m

I am new to coaching sprints in T&F but work with field sport athletes for over 10 years at the pro level. I have a High School Athlete who approached me today saying that he ‘burns out’ the last 30m or so in the 100m. So I assume we need to work on Speed Endurance.

Here is his background:
-HS Junior

• 5’10" @ 145 lbs
  • lean 4-5%BF?
  • 100m PB= 10.9
    -5yrs training experience
    -trains w/his local High School

Any suggestions you may have as to what would be the best plan of action?

thank you,
Jeremy

I would suggest having the athlete focus on increasing top speed while adding special endurance runs of 150-300m. As of right now, it may be beneficial to start off with say 1x150 for week 1, 2x150 with 10 minute recovery for weeks 2 and 3, and then drop back down to 1x150 on week 4. Then during the next phase you could switch to 250s. This will open up the athletes top speed and special endurance as the season progresses. Hope it helps.

There could be a lot of reasons for dying towards the end of the 100m. First, there may be a deficiency in speed endurance. Second, he could be running too tight causing him to burn far too much energy early on. Third, he might be getting straight up out of the blocks, causing him to use the muscles involved in the upright run for too much of the race. (For example, top athletes might be in the forward position for the first 17 strides and upright for the last 29. Getting upright much earlier causes the upright working portion of the race to be too long)

Charlie,
Thank you for replying. A few comments:

>>Second, he could be running too tight causing him to burn far too much energy early on. <<

Could you please elaborate a bit on this area? What are some ques that I should be looking for?

>>Third, he might be getting straight up out of the blocks, causing him to use the muscles involved in the upright run for too much of the race. (For example, top athletes might be in the forward position for the first 17 strides and upright for the last 29. Getting upright much earlier causes the upright working portion of the race to be too long)<<
Great suggestion! Makes a lot of sense.

Originally posted by Vincente
I would suggest having the athlete focus on increasing top speed while adding special endurance runs of 150-300m. As of right now, it may be beneficial to start off with say 1x150 for week 1, 2x150 with 10 minute recovery for weeks 2 and 3, and then drop back down to 1x150 on week 4. Then during the next phase you could switch to 250s. This will open up the athletes top speed and special endurance as the season progresses. Hope it helps.

Thanks for your help! What sort of times would you like to see for the 150’s?

you’d want to do the 150’s at 90-95%
so if his p.b. is 10.9, on a conversion chart a 10.9 is equal to a 16.4 so 90% of 16.4 is 18.2 and 95% is 17.3.

so have him do them in the 17.3-18.2 range.

and remember this only applies to an outdoor track. indoors times would obviously be slower.

Originally posted by QUIKAZHELL
you’d want to do the 150’s at 90-95%
so if his p.b. is 10.9, on a conversion chart a 10.9 is equal to a 16.4 so 90% of 16.4 is 18.2 and 95% is 17.3.

so have him do them in the 17.3-18.2 range.

and remember this only applies to an outdoor track. indoors times would obviously be slower.

Thanks so much for the information. Do you have a conversion chart that has time like this for various distances? For example, what then if I wanted to have him ever run 250’s? Where would I find a chart such as this?

play around with this… it will give you some of the answers you may be looking for…

http://desert.jsd.claremont.edu/~newt/track/Mercier/index.html

chek the english version and the ciau/indoor version.

Originally posted by QUIKAZHELL
play around with this… it will give you some of the answers you may be looking for…

http://desert.jsd.claremont.edu/~newt/track/Mercier/index.html

chek the english version and the ciau/indoor version.

Again great suggestion! Thanks!
:smiley:

Cheers quick
How accurate are those conversions d’you think ?

id say pretty acurate. there based on thousands of splits from numerous championship meets. check the link i think it says exactly how it works.