Bumper Plates?

Hey Guys and Girls,
Does anyone of you know where I can buy 2 45-55 lb. bumper plates? I’m asking because the director of athletics in my school just banned me from deadlifting at our gym because: 1) it scares the shit out of people when I drop the weights; 2) I make a dent on the layers of pads. I live in a boarding school so…

Here’s my email to him:
[i]Dear Sir:
I need to deadlift heavy. I can’t live without deadlifting heavy. Heavy lifts develop maximal motor-unit recruitment and increases the inhibition threshold of Golgi Tendon Organ and Muscle Spindle. It prepares the body to handle huge forces encountered during a sprint. Overall, it develops strength potential and thus impacts power development as well–very important for a genetically average guy like me.
How about I just slow down the acceleration during the eccentric phase of the lift. and just lift at night when I’m alone? In that way, 1) People lifting foo-foo weights won’t get scared, and 2) No damage to the pads =). Would this work?
If it does not, 1) I (or the school) could buy rubber-plated Olympic 45 lb weights to lessen the impact.
2) I could buy my own pads.
3) I could go to another gym where [my friend] works.
Please kindly look over and consider my options.

Thank you,
Wu Gong Heng[/i]
He liked option 1.
So do you guys know where I can buy bumper plates for the best price?

Thanks!
Wu Gong Heng =)

York Barbell sells some pretty reasonably priced. Bigger Faster Stronger also does. Shipping will kill ya, but I guess it depends on your budget?

How much are you lifting to dent the floor?

The cement floor (that is carpeted) isn’t dented. It’s only the pads that I use which get dented… I just deadlifted 305 12 times last wednesday. This wednesday I’m going for 310. I like dropping them though… It’s fun. =P

Thanks SpeedKills!

I’m gonna check them out. I am only thinking of buying a pair of 45 or 55 pounder bumper plates for now. I’m gonna try to get the school to buy it…If that doesn’t work… then we’ll see if I can =P Do you think they (York, etc) sell them by pieces?

Thanks again,
Wu Gong Heng

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/basket.asp

Ironmind is pretty damn reasonable. You could always try york barbell direct (or any other distributor for that matter) because sometimes they have specials on damaged/less than perfect bumpers. Or call around your area and see if any gyms/schools are updating facilities and see if they are willing to let go of any. For the best deal, you’ve got to do the leg work. Have a bake sale for bumpers if you have to :slight_smile: