Brauman training

Are you saying Carl Lewis didn’t do Int tempo type of work?

Because by most definitions of int tempo those runs on Mondays at a “fast-relaxed” pace usually with walk a lap recovery would be int tempo. Later in the year SE.

Steve Francis said last spring that Asafa ran 31.6 I think for 300 last winter. He had been running 300s in 37 in workouts, so this comes to 85% at least, 90% or so given that the 37 was a workout time.

Asafa also got himself in some trouble with the UK press for saying that British sprinters were “lazy,” and I’ve seen a video where he talks about people coming to Jamaica to train and working harder than they’ve worked in their lives. I don’t think MVP and Mills athletes are dogging it in training. It is by definition sub-max.

If you generally follow the Steve Francis seminar notes that can be found on this site, with the combination of power work and 300-450m overdistance, you find yourself running them pretty fast after 3 months.

The Jamaican stuff looks very similar to Wisconsin-Lax. You can tell the thought process behind it is the same.

I think they all are heavily influenced by Bud Winter (of course) and Jim Bush.

I’ve not heard Jim Bush mentioned by Francis or Mills, but John Smith has been mentioned by Francis. I think someone on here posted that both Francis and Mills had been mentored by someone in Jamaica who either worked under on learned directly from Bud Winter.

One thing that is different from the Bud Winter programs is the power work in the MVP plan. Francis has sleds once a week and 10X40m steep hills once a week, then two overdistance sessions. The power sessions seem to allow you to run the longer sessions faster over time.

The MVP version at least seems to work very well as GPP for Charlie’s s-l and you benefit from doing it for a long time (something like 3 months) as the Jamaicans seem to do.

Brauman’s training is a bit different.

I have never seen them mention Bush but I have been told by a very reputable coach that there are similarities between Bush and Winter.

Mills and Franno mentored under Dennis Johnson who was a former athlete of Bud Winter at San Jose. Dennis was responsible for bringing the Bud Winter program to Jamaica.

Look at drivephase’s old journal, can’t remember which one but he outlines a whole year of training from Wisconsin-Lacrosse. It is extremely similar to what the Jamaicans are doing. Lots of tempo and overdistance, lots of accel and sled and block work. No peak for indoor, really only a single peak. They clearly have a very similar philosophy as a program.

Do you have any specifics on the sled training?

All I know is what is on this site. I know that MVP does sleds once a week and short hills once a week. The sleds are supposed to be up to 50 pounds for men and half that for women. The short hills are 10X40m up a hill that is supposed to be 40-45 degrees. This is from the seminar notes from Australia last year that have been posted.

I don’t have a sled but have a similar hill, so I did the hill workout once or twice a week.

I don’t have any details about Bauman’s or Mills’ sleds.

Has anyone ever tried to do sled pulls on grass before? I have and it increases the drag coefficient like crazy! Going from the grass on a soccer field to the track with a 35lb sled is an insane difference. I wonder if its the same down there.

I guess it depends on the sled. Our sled slides really well over grass, but it has two very narrow, short runners about 1.25" in diameter and about 14" long, so very little footprint on the ground.

I did it in the summer- there is actually some video of me pulling a sled on grass in my training journal- and it was WAY TOO HEAVY even though we used a very light weight.

If I do sled pulls on grass again in the same conditions, I’d probably cut it to about 5% of body weight.

Agree, grass versus track is chalk and cheese, same applies to using the sled if the track is wet, HUGE difference in the amount of friction.

Most of their grass is sparse, dry and short so it’s fast, it’s not the plush, long, high friction stuff.

This interview clip briefly shows the MVP crew doing a few sleds and sprints:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/8801842.stm

Close up shots of grass from “the other side of the island”

That’s Bolt, which I’m more interested in, and it looks like one plate (25 pounds) which makes more sense to me.

Any ideas on how Glen Mills progresses from the basic plan we’re discussing in this thread (Bauman or MVP version, which are not all that different) into the s-l for the main SPP that we believe Bolt is doing?

Personally, I don’t think I see any particular advantage for the sleds over steep hills.

A lack of Hills with Nice grass is the advantage.

The other advantage is time between doing a sled pull followed by a Flat run - you might do the sled to Prime you so to speak, and followed by a Flat run. Hard to do if the Hills available are too far from the Flat surface.

Depends on the Focus on the day.

Looks kinda thick, I’m thinking two plates.

Clearly two plates on the side view. About 50lbs. including the sled.

I remember a discussion with at least PJ, Charlie and me, where PJ mentioned his athletes not wanting to run hills without adequate warmup facility.

I happen to have the near perfect situation for either. I live literally down the hill from one of the top high school track/xc programs in the USA. There is a rekortan outdoor track within about 30 meters of a steep hill somewhere around a 40 degree angle. It is paved but perfectly flat.

There are two grass areas available. One is field turf, which I know Charlie is not in favor of. There other is at the top of the hill and maybe another 50 meters away. It is large enough to run 300s and such on the grass just like the Jamaicans, but the grass is cut higher than shown in the Jamaican photos.

So, I think I prefer to stick with 10X40m up the steep hill, which is one of the MVP workouts.

At this point, I don’t see a reason to not do 10X40 twice a week and 300-450 twice a week for GPP.

Not thrilled about the injury risk of doing that every week, and I suspect Charlie wouldn’t be either.

I feel the hills are easier overall, then the sled. I tried the GPP hill workout for sled and just about killed the kids for a few weeks. I felt that half the hill volume was adequate for the sled.