Bolt splits in 9.58

The perfect race (based on the above data and without wind influence)

Reaction Time [RT] Limit: 0.100
0-10m: 1.69
10-20m: 1.00
20-30m: 0.89
30-40m: 0.85
40-50m: 0.83
50-60m: 0.83
60-70m: 0.81
70-80m: 0.80
80-90m: 0.83
90-100m: 0.83
TOTAL - 9.46

it’s really a bit pointless because the timing is in the 'eyes of the beholder" and i allowed the athlete to “commit” to an aggressive motion. I did this because I wanted the athletes to lean into the run before the clock started to encourage relaxation. A stricter timing means would quickly show the athlete that changing to a more abrupt start would yield better times over the short stuff and encourage tightness.
As long as I was consistent I could predict a block start E-time from there but others might get a much slower hand time.
In general, I would add .65 to equal an E-timed, block start over the distance, including the reaction time. That seemed to work pretty consistently for me and that’s why we were able to predict race times as often as we did.

I should have formulated my question differently. I was looking for this info;

In general, I would add .65 to equal an E-timed, block start over the distance, including the reaction time.

Thanks.

I wonder if AP entrained a “slow down” response by shutting down all the time.

no but he tends to power more than Bolt or Gay at top end and this track prob is not very forgiving.

How does Gay go from 0.85 to 0.84?

I’ve seen mention of micro-accelerations and decelerations within splits. Maybe the slightest change in stride, pushoff, etc., affected a minute change within a mini-split - say 77 meters to 79 or something - and made two .84s (or - the speed required for .84) slightly unequal.

Subject: Gay 0.85-0.84 over last 20m

What I think has happened (because we do not have the 10m splits) - I have done some maths myself - here is that 80-100m was done in 1.69. It is an odd number and when divided by 2 we get 0.845.

If we try to work out the times from 100m to 90m and then 80m, whoever did this must have rounded 0.845 to 0.85 therefore you get;

In reality (this yet needs to be officially confirmed) it could have easily been that Gay ran 0.84 and then during the last 10m split 0.85 if one was to work out the times from 80 to 90 and then 100m. I tend to believe it was 0.84 and then 0.85…

anyone else more impressed that gay at 5,10 ish ran 0.81 rather then bolts .80 for a smaller guy that impresses me bucket loads

I’m not sure what system they used to take the splits, but differences of 0.01s or even more can be caused by changes in torso and shoulder positions. If they used split beams it’s even possible that they were triggered by hand movements.

the LAVEG system that gave the velocities and 10m splits is a narrow beam laser that they would have focused on the mid back region (from behind) or chest (from the front). it measures instant and continuous velocity. it is accurate enough to show the break and response from each individual touchdown (the wave-like blue line) which is why they average out the graph (the red line on the link that Sev put up).

I suggest AP is transferring his balance too early

Now I can see why Charlie uses the 60m dash time as an indicator during indoor season.

realistically, I don’t think Powell has shut down any more or less than either Bolt or Gay. Bolt has probably shut down more often in the past two seasons than Powell has combined for his career minus preliminary runs.

Powells new found “ineffiecient” start has caused the rest of his race to suffer. He’s almost speed skating in his races, and it’s even visibly apparent that his left leg is failing him when he’s up to speed. Either failing him or he’s compensating for it.

could you explain to me about this 60m indicator during the indoor season please 100m001 or charlie?

there are many tables around and since most people have already reached top speed by 60m, the rest is SE up to a point.
For example 6.48 to 6.50 usually indicated 9.90 to 9.95 and so on. For Ben we saw 6.33 and 9.79 while shutting down- prob enough for 9.71 to 9.73 depending on the runner. For Bolt, we’ve seen 6.31 and 9.58, BUT Bolt contnued to increase speed past 60m.

I see thank you. So for example I ran 7.42 indoors in january and finished this season with 11.57 pb so this could indicate I needed more speed endurance in my training?

11.57 is worth more than 7.42, but at your level you are probably progressing too fast for your indoor results to have much predictive value for your outdoor season.

I don’t think the LAVEG gave these times. There is a LAVEG output on the IAAF site and the splits are slightly different for Bolt and Powell than the ones on here, so it is possible that if Gay’s splits were taken from video that they are not entirely accurate, which would explain the last three 10m splits.

http://berlin.iaaf.org/mm/Document/Development/Research/05/31/54/20090817073528_httppostedfile_Analysis100mMenFinal_Bolt_13666.pdf

I was wondering the other day about the fluctuations between strides in the LAVEG charts. What does this say about Barry Ross’s theory that sprinters ONLY produce vertical force at top speed? If an athlete is decelerating then reaccelerating with each stride as shown by the output, doesn’t this strongly infer that horizontal forces are present?

If horizontal forces were absent, how would you go forward??