Bolt resumes training

If his pb over 800 is 2.07s which is 63.5s for 400, he is doing 6k at 80s for400, bit better than a jog.

I know it is not about me but I have used a 10minute run at pace to control size wonder if they are doing the same thing.

Thanks. To be clear, he is doing 6km runs in 20min for training? That’s a pretty fast pace.

I have my doubts on his long runs because he has said he never jogs and that his longest run in training ever is 600 early in the year. He said jogging makes his calves tighten up and that is also why he does strides for warmup as opposed to jogging for warmup.

Hopefully PJ will clarify.

That is just under 17min for 5km - much faster than a Jog. (so he still tech is not jogging) :slight_smile:

Sady could be onto something re-size control

double posting?

“up to 15 laps (6km) in 20min at constant pace” that’s what he said during the interview. The interviewers were journalists, not coach, so they didn’t ask for further details…

That’s 5 min for 1500m. Some decathletes don’t run that fast in competition. I find it hard to believe that Bolt would even be capable of such an endurance feat.

Thanks PJ. It’s a very odd quote considering Mills pointed out in a a conference that KK gave us the notes to that he starts speed type work day one and does not like lots of volume and mileage to start the year because it will have a negative effect.

Remember, he said up to 15 laps in 20 minutes. Much of what PJ wrote seems quite similar to what we know of GPP for MVP, with the exception of the high volume part. The focus on endurance and 350 & 450 reps are similar, and the only other thing I notice different in the beginning is the 60s. We also know that both groups do sleds

Steve Francis has said that he doesn’t have athletes running over 20 minutes because he believes it to be bad for sprinting. I take it that Bolt is actually running for however many laps he gets in within 20 minutes, not that he goes out to run 15 laps.

I’m just going by Bolt stating in an interview the the furthest he ever ran in training was 600 early in the year. He also said he does not like to jog because it makes his calves tight.

However, there are still coaches who do the long runs with succesful athletes- Brooks Johnson, Tellez, etc. I personally do not think it is detrimental to do early in the year, redundent yes.

Regardless of what Bolt and Mills have said they may still do the long runs. We know for a fact Mills studied Bud Winter. Winter did the long run thing to start the year. We know both Franno and Mills training is basic and old school compared to more scientific approaches.

I’m just going by Bolt stating in an interview the the furthest he ever ran in training was 600 early in the year. He also said he does not like to jog because it makes his calves tight.

However, there are still coaches who do the long runs with succesful athletes- Brooks Johnson, Tellez, etc. I personally do not think it is detrimental to do early in the year, redundent yes.

Regardless of what Bolt and Mills have said they may still do the long runs. We know for a fact Mills studied Bud Winter. Winter did the long run thing to start the year. We know both Franno and Mills training is basic and old school compared to more scientific approaches.

I think I’ll stick with the 20 min limit as I think Franno has had “slightly” more success than I have.

What I’d like to know about is maintenance for the overdistance stuff. I’m doing the 300-450m stuff that Franno talks about and also the 10X40m hills. But at least for Franno, it seems that in January, he drops the overdistance (keeps the short stuff) and starts speed endurance. I know we had some discussion last spring about Bolt doing 2X(300+180+120), I think a couple of weeks before his 100m opener, but I also know he was behind in his training.

If it’s been going well for 2 months, do you just replace, say, 3X300 with 5X120? Anybody actually know how they handle this?

The bud winter long stuff does work. I experimented with this and I got up to 10x100 @ 13.5 sec w/a 2 min break. I was not able to to that a year ago. It just sux now that it’s cold outside. The only thing is that the speed comes very gradual and it’s probably better suited for outdoors and 200m guys. If I lived somewhere warm this program would be ideal…

In the days before silicone the successful old school body builders used to do 10 minute runs at speed to drop size. They changed to a maintanance weight program while doing the runs. The reason they wanted to drop size was because a muscle may not be in proportion and and the only way to fix it is to take a step back and start again.

But the Franno long AND short stuff works better. I know PJ and CF raised some questions about the specificity of same for pure sprints (and I might have agreed with them) but if you do more or less what the man said in the seminar notes on here somewhere, by the end of 2 months of this stuff you get into pretty ridiculous 400 shape.

I hate to think what damage Asafa could do to the WR if he came to Boston Indoors and ran the 60.

Short power stuff does work but you need to run too and you would be surprised at how much long stuff is done in Jamaica. I know people who have trained with Franno personally and it’s more long stuff than people think…

From the people I talked to who have trained there they are still doing 300’s in feb, mar, etc.

Franno also said he has them do 300 close to comp as well. That’s common to many approaches though.

in regards to long runs and tom tellez. as far as i know leroy still maintains toms programmes at UH. TT programmes would start at 8/6/4 and taper down to 3/2/1 in season. this session was called breakdowns because it kick the crap out of you and was always done on a monday- fresh athlete! honestly i think this sort of work depends on the athlete. i for sure got more benefit from going the opposite way as in S-L because going L-S for me was too strenuous and i just couldnt handle it.

i also remember charlie saying that he had ben doing repeat 2’s and ben said he cut it down to 150;s cause he couldnt handle the stress of repeat 2’s

*** bottom line is THE PROGRAMME MUST FIT THE ATHLETE just like a pair of shoes. if theyre too tight your gonna be crippled ad if theyre too loose your gonna get friction blisters!

IMO the more muscular and heavier the athlete, the less they will tolerate the overdistance stuff. You gotta find what works for YOU.
I find it difficult to believe that mills would have his athletes run for 20mins but who knows. Some sprinters actually have excellent endurance and some equally fast ones have none.

Great point, just because someone can run 6x300 at ease doesn’t mean they can run a fast 60 or 100.