Best books on Track & Field Periodization

Hello everyone,

I was going to buy Anatoliy Bondarchuk book on Periodization of Training in Sports: Volume 1* but I want to ask is there anything that is as good as his book?

I was wondering because people have problems with translation.

I want something to help with me planning for Sprints, Middle Distance and Jumps

*I only found out today that it is two versions, I was obviously hope it was one! lol

If you could help me it would be appreciated very much!

BBC

http://shop.charliefrancis.com/products/charliefrancis-com-e-book-master-set

[QUOTE=BBC;244493]Hello everyone,

I was going to buy Anatoliy Bondarchuk book on Periodization of Training in Sports: Volume 1* but I want to ask is there anything that is as good as his book?

I was wondering because people have problems with translation.

I want something to help with me planning for Sprints, Middle Distance and Jumps

*I only found out today that it is two versions, I was obviously hope it was one! lol

If you could help me it would be appreciated very much!

William H. Freeman’s Peak When it counts is very good, has Ben’s Annual Cycle enclosed, also includes all events.

For jumps I’d look into the many free articles available online by Dan Pfaff and Boo Schexnayder. While not a book, Boo put out a series of jumps videos back in the late spring which covers all aspects of jumps training-primarily horizontals but HJ/PV mentioned as well. Periodization is covered in those.

For Mid-Distance look into some of the dvds by Lyle Knudson at his track-tech site (usatf development dvds) and there are a few powerpoint presentations available free on-line, here’s a link to one I know of.

http://www.nacactfca.org/Knudson%20-%20Systematic&ComprehensiveProgram.pdf

The other one (ppt) is called speed-based training.

He uses a very similar approach to the Frank Horwill/Peter Coe 5 pace system and if someone is coming from a sprint background (coach and/or athlete) they will appreciate the fact that he actually includes true, alactic speed work in his program every 2 or so weeks-pretty much a two week rotation. I am currently studying this system for my work with 800m runners most of whom are moved up from the 400m though others are coming from more of a 800/1500 background.

Thank you all for your replies. Would you guys recommend the Bondarchuk books over those or they are just as good?

I only have the first Bondarchuk book: Transfer of training in sports (Vol. 1) and have not seen the periodization books by him-I don’t think they have been out long.

Regarding sprints periodization I don’t think you can go wrong with Charlie’s works, as mentioned earlier, with CFTS, Key concepts-elite edition and the downloads for GPP and inside the SPP. Some of this will also have applicability towards jumps-particularly horizontals though for that programming specifically I’d go with the Boo Schexnayder work-downloads- I mentioned. Cliff Rovelto has also just put out some new dvds for high jump and horizontals-came out this week I believe.

Charlie’s principles, philosophy on training in general would be beneficial to virtually any coach. If you don’t have his materials start with his works.

For middle distance/distance look at the track-tech.com dvds I mentioned by Knudson.

For one single book that discusses multiple periodizations strategies/different approaches to programming all of the events as oldspeeder mentions above, the Freeman book is a good choice. I think track and field news has it on sale for $5 but the sale might be over very soon-possibly tomorrow.

Thanks. Where can I get this new Cliff Rovelto DVD?

http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/auth/1445/

Pioneer, is the Bondarchuk book Periodization book any good? Why is it 2 volumes?

I don’t know as I’ve only seen his Transfer of training in sports book volume I. I’ve not seen volume 2 of that book nor either of the periodization books.

Here is a review of volume I of the periodization book by, it should be noted, one of his athletes though to be fair the guy did a review on the transfer of training books and presented the pros and cons of the book.

http://www.mbingisser.com/2011/11/book-review-periodization-by-bondarchuk/