Ben's Max Squat

Charlie, please, could you tell us what numbers Tim and Marion did? In squat, bench, clean… Thank you. Just for inspiration! :slight_smile:

What are you concerned about training/learning optimally? Weightlifting or your sport?

sorry, just getting back into posting, have to learn how to make my posts clear again! i had in mind what you said, but i did not put it down right. thanks.

Up until 1984, were you guys performing both squats and dead’s? From your post I assume you felt the squat to be a safer lift than the DL? Or were you simply concerned about the CNS drain? PM me w/your e-mail and I’ll provide you flight info. Thanks.

We did both the squats and deads till then. E-mail to angela@charliefrancis.com
My PM is disabled.

yes i am concerned with motor learning optimally, optimal learning is the most rapid means to progress. weightlifting is a means to an end, despite what most people think there is a transfer to sport skill the key in this is understanding the role of intermuscular coordination, it is obvious the countribution of intramuscular coordination but intermuscular coordination is key to transfer to sports skill.

Charlie–
I have heard Tim squatted 315 deep (not full, but pretty deep)? Does that sound about right?

If so, I would have expected more from such a fast guy. Any thoughts?

i think its all relative, and that there is a minimum base level of relative strength, not everyone has the capability nor the need to be as strong as ben was. perhaps double his bodyweight is all he needs, as i believe it is very much an individual issue.

As a principle, for a sprinter on the CFTS system, should one lean towards reps of 6 on the Squat and 3 on the bench, or max weights like Westside(1rep)?

Depends on the phase, strengths, response and the conditioning/training age of the athlete. Provided the athlete is ready, I’d use a traditional MaxS method during the MaxS phase, with volumes and intensities as applicable to the athlete. I personnally do stray away from 1RM etc as the poundages get higher.

With respect to you referencing 6 reps etc above in the question, I believe that Charlie used pretty traditional MaxS work with Ben during the early 80’s (very similar to T. Bompa methods). As the poundages increased Charlie moved away from Bompa’s 1 rep testing etc (not worth the risk as a sprinter) and deduced the required weights from performances at higher reps (such as 3 RM). As the weights still intensified, I think Charlie put a ceiling on the weight and decided not to go above Bens 6 RM weight. Not sure of the exact considerations leading to the 600 lb limit and the 6RM: perhaps a compromise between the upper level of MaxS and strength endurance? Charlie?

Point of note through: the 6 RM was not achieved just by lifting sets of 6 throughout Bens whole career.

Did you even read Charlie’s posts? He made it clear that they did not use lower reps (<6)/ heavier weight to develop the strength. I believe, and charlie can clear this up, that he did use lower reps to maintain, but the weight was easily within the 6RM.

im continually suprised the number of people who are afraid of heavy weight. the weights not gunna cause and injury, you are. kinda like guns dont kill people people kill people.

i agee 100%…

Thing is this narrow view of lifting does not pertain to the discussion. Heavy weights do not in and of themselves translate to faster sprinting times. In fact the majority of elite sprinters do not have impressive numbers in the weightroom. Therefore it is not a matter of overcoming one’s fear of heavy weight (I shutter just think of the idea), but rather how do you syncronize and maximize a variety of training variables in order to run faster, one of which is weights.

I wish a cyclic redundancy error would pop up whenever a conversation begins going back to an area that has already been discussed 100 times on this forum.

I was thinking the same thing (exactly). I’m having deja vu. I think there’s a movie out that explains the whole phenomenon. I’m going to have to check it out.

Well it only seems logical to have the same conversations over and over until everyone on the forum agrees with each other.

no single component will make you great at a given sports skill yes. but should we then half ass individual factors because they themselves are not the single contributory factor. no maximal squats don’t make a great sprinter but when used properly they are an integral tool in training the CNS to perform in a desired fashion. the bench press does not make a great sprinter but does that negate the importance of having a strong and well conditioned upper body. the highest level of individual performance will only occur when all factors are exploited maximally. nothing else will produce maximal individual performance, not 80% effort not 99.9999999% effort.

It’s completely dependant on the individual but the only reason to go with the higher numbers for a top athlete is if you are concerned with safety in the lifts

Well it only seems logical to have the same conversations over and over until everyone on the forum agrees with each other.

How is that logical, have you been following 95% of the threads that just doesnt happen. Most of the people come here ask a question or ask for advice then just say their view is right a lot of people here are more worried about pushing their own views rather than learning.

This isnt everyone, there are a lot of great people here that are willing to learn and help and it is appreciated greatly, but look around most of these threads stop when some just gets tired of arguing their side.