Bench drop sprint.....wtf

An accident waiting to happen…

//youtu.be/NTDEXyK9kG8

It gets an A for originality. I have to admit, I’ve never seen that before.

is this a real “drill” that someone is teaching aside from whom ever is doing this?

Try this if you want to find out what a torn achilles tendon feels like.

yea, the guy who posted it actually backs up his lunacy…

lol…

//youtu.be/o-QP1_zBlRI

its laughable but totally f’ed up. honestly don’t know why come coached try and come up with some of these stupid drills

//youtu.be/wjQuHY5-2Bk

Just strap on a jet pack and be done with it.

That bench covered all lanes, could double up for hurdles.

they sold a total of none

Hey this is worth the laughs I just had from all of this. Laughing is totally regenerating. :angel:

Honest questions here.

Why is the bench drop sprint a “bad” exercise? Is it because of the forward lean and loading on the Achilles? Would a better substitute be a heel/mid foot dominated depth jump landing into a sprint? Or just completely separate depth jump related plyometrics from your sprint development?

also with the K-link has anyone here actually tried it or extensively researched it? I’ve talked to the creator of it to get more information and he’s sold quite a few to several division 1 sprint programs. It looks like it could be a beneficial training tool for improving posture in your event. What are people’s objections to it?

When I saw the bench drop video, I immediately saw this as the direct opposite of what Dr, Ralph Mann has been teaching–Mann teaching shortening a bit on the first 2 steps so you don’t get your steps too far in front initially. I don’t know about the achilles issue, but I see the bench drop as teaching overstriding at the start.

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere on here, there was a paper in the NSCA Journal this spring showing (3) depth jumps as part of warmup having a .1-.2 improvement in 20m time, which is obviously a significant improvement. I’m doing this as drop jumps not over 30" (per Charlie in the Edmonton video) as part of warmup rather than depth jumps, but this works.

not so…

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/10493314/6/stock-illustration-10493314-early-flying-machine-antique-scientific-illustrations.jpg

lol, thats one

PAP effect?

I’m sure there is a PAP effect, but I also think there’s also a development effect. I didn’t notice until I started looking at Caryl Smith-Gilbert’s stuff that in Charlie’s handouts for Vancouver and Edmonton, there is the statement “Box Jumps Down” under Speed, and there are several research papers that talk about ankle development/stabilization being important for max velocity development, including this one recent in IAAF New Studies on Athletics (point 2 in the Conclusion):

http://www.iaaf.org/download/downloadnsa?filename=24d13356-c773-4aba-ade4-54c51d7cf37c.pdf&urlslug=new-insights-into-sprint-biomechanics-and-det

I don’t think this particular paper has been discussed on here, but I think people might find interesting:

(1) Physiology data for Christophe Lemaitre and comparison with lower level sprinters;
(2) Sprint instrumented treadmill;
(3) Implication that weight room max strength is less important than the application of weight room strength in the correct direction (so maybe form drills actually DO matter?).

Thanks for posting that:

“Thus, the way sprinters apply force onto the ground (technical ability) seems to be more important to sprint performance than the amount of total force they are able to produce (physical capability). In addition, these two mechanical features of the acceleration kinetics were not correlated, which means they correspond to distinct skills.”

Sprinting is a skill! Some tests I did over the summer told me something similar.
2 months after the end of our season, we spent an 8 week period working primarily on increasing peak power output - we did power clean and bench press work, combined with plyometrics, and 0-20 meter starts. Our vertical and standing long jumps improved significantly, as did our lifts, and our 20 meter time.

On a lark, I then timed our flying 10 (through filming at high speed). Despite the huge improvements in the basic capacity to apply force, we were significantly slower at top velocity than we were months earlier (when we were running flying 20s, et al, regularly). We had gotten rusty on the ability to apply that force efficiently/at the correct angles.

From the paper:

“We can reasonably recommend that the strength and conditioning training should be oriented towards improving the ability to limit the loss of RF during the acceleration phase of the race. To do so, our thinking is that consideration should be given to two possible paths of development: 1) focusing on hip extensor muscles (mainly the gluteus and hamstrings) for their role in backward propulsion of the lower limb, especially as the velocity increases and the overall body position “verticalises” and 2) the ankle stabiliser muscles, for their contribution to transmitting the force generated into the ground. The importance of the latter’s work, especially at high velocity, might currently be underestimated compared to the maximal strength of the knee extensors or plantar flexors.”

So, depth drops/jumps…and what else for the ankle stabilisers? I don’t like the calf raise machine in general, but it would seem to be one way to target the ankle, right?